Mighoul Saboodo(Maxmaps) is invited to The White House ?!?

MK3424

Well-deserved, KSP team!

I was hoping for a Jeb + Obama selfie.

Heh, well my mind went to, if we ever get multiple starsystems in ksp, of the trailer showing, Bill, Bob, Jeb and Valentina crashlanding on the white house lawn for the first contact ceremony and following handshakes... :D

He'll get to meet clock-boy Ahmed.

(Anybody following the backstory on that kid?)

I followed it. This is not the forum to get into that though. Off topic section? sure.

Kinda cool to be invited to astronomy night on the White House lawn.

My suggestion: point the scope at Jupiter and leave it there all night. You can try the Pleiades too and maybe Orion's nebula but anything else will be a washout from downtown DC. A bright planet will fare so much better in such light pollution.

I followed it. This is not the forum to get into that though. Off topic section? sure.

Kinda cool to be invited to astronomy night on the White House lawn.

My suggestion: point the scope at Jupiter and leave it there all night. You can try the Pleiades too and maybe Orion's nebula but anything else will be a washout from downtown DC. A bright planet will fare so much better in such light pollution.

Isn't there also still ... online rentable telescopes? The comparison could be a good entry to a little debate on light pollution as well... With the whole urbanization alot of kids will be growing up with little to no chance to see much of the sky with their own eyes, which is still the cheapest way to inspire kids. :)

Isn't there also still ... online rentable telescopes? The comparison could be a good entry to a little debate on light pollution as well... With the whole urbanization a lot of kids will be growing up with little to no chance to see much of the sky with their own eyes, which is still the cheapest way to inspire kids. :)

There is. At the White House event I would think whatever scientist/museum person who is running the thing could get time on any observatory they wanted to for comparisons. "Have your observatory be featured in front of the President!" They could also just go to Night Skies Network and view any of the live streams from observatories there and compare it to a live stream from the one at the NASM on the mall.

Then again cameras vs eyes is a big difference. You'd have to host the event under an actual dark sky instead of the White House lawn for the impact to be truly noticable. President could crash Big Meadows at the Shenandoah for that.

Hmmmm I had a similar email from a Nigerian prince once... just to be clear, the invitation doesn't go on to ask for your bank details does it?

Just kidding. Just kidding.

What a great honor! Good work Squad. It is well deserved.

I'm not sure if it was planned back when you came up with the idea for KSP, but whether by design of happy accident you have created a truly marvelous learning tool, for really complex topics.

Also there has been a great resurgence in interest in space travel recently, with interest in SpaceX, the Mars One (even though its a scam), Gravity, interstellar and the Martian. I honestly believe KSP has played a role in fostering this resurgence. Whenever NASA, SpaceX, ESA are reported in online media, you don't have to scroll very far in the comments to see Jebs name dropped, of Scott Manley, or a "Moar Boosters!" comment.

And I think it is because KSP helps to demonstrate that leaving earth is not that hard (although it is expensive), that it is not rocket scien...... hmm... brain surgery. After all, if your common joe or joeline, with no mathematics/physics background can land a Kerbal on Duna.... surely NASA, who have the smartest people in the room, can get to Mars and beyond.

Anyway, fanboy gushing over, Good work squad.

Which whitehouse?

There's a nightclub next door to my ex-wife's place called that. Is he (Miguel; obviously I'm not interested in anyone calling themselves el presidente) coming to England?

You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

There is a small mailbox here.

…sorry, couldn't help myself.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.