How big is the box?

Eldestish

It goes up the SI prefixes to (I think) Yottametres, then rolls over to metres and starts again.

\

Has this been tested? Not that you would need to. I just want to know if anyone was crazy enough to try it.

Has this been tested? Not that you would need to. I just want to know if anyone was crazy enough to try it.

A few people have. If you want to do it yourself easily, you simply have to open the part.cfg of the stack decoupler, and change the force to something less weedy (usually 1e37, the largest number it can handle). Then stick it under the pod, go to the launchpad, press space, and voila, you\'re travelling at a few orders of magnitude above C.

Here and here.

You could have looked around for yourself you know.. =P

The reason he asked that is Harvester has never stated it to be a planned feature. For this reason it is not mentioned at all in the links you provided.

Distant stars have been considered, but don\'t hold your breath. There\'s a whole slew of technical challenges that need to be overcome before it would be possible. And, there are more important things to focus on right now, like EVAs.

The reason he asked that is Harvester has never stated it to be a planned feature. For this reason it is not mentioned at all in the links you provided.

True, but I though inter-planetary travel was implied by the 'Other moons /planets ' feature. Unless Ninjainthenight meant travelling to other solar systems, which isn\'t what I originally thought he meant.

True, but I though inter-planetary travel was implied by the 'Other moons /planets ' feature. Unless Ninjainthenight meant travelling to other solar systems, which isn\'t what I originally thought he meant.

Yeah, I meant travelling to other stars not planets in the Kerbol System :P

The way Twinky said it, implied that he knew of something never really stated by the Devs :)

I think other star systems became a foregone assumption when Harvester revealed work on a warp engine part. However, that could just as easily be for making interplanetary travel easier, as one does in Eve Online. I would be satisfied if Squad just gave us the entire Kerbol system to explore, but if they feel the itch later to include interstellar travel, I think I would be willing to cough up some more money for that.

Anyway, right now there is a nasty and playful force that can tear apart your craft while accelerating it to astounding speeds. It rests in two places, a certain point outside the orbit of Kerbin, and nestles within Kerbol, the star. We call that the Space Kraken. Unfortunately, that critter sits in the way of making travel to other planets in the system, so it needs to be tamed and/or evicted from the system in order to grant access to the entire Kerbol system that is set to make its appearance in an update coming soon*.

It is a worthy endeavour all the same to seek out what might be beyond the Kerbol system, and maybe you just might escape the notice of the Kraken.

Godspeed!

*Not real soon. Don\'t want you getting your hopes up.

Why does everyone want to go to other stars? A system with 9 planets, 70+ moons, and an asteroid belt would be plenty. I would prefer to keep this game the way it is now, with no overly sci-fi elements.

Why does everyone want to go to other stars? A system with 9 planets, 70+ moons, and an asteroid belt would be plenty. I would prefer to keep this game the way it is now, with no overly sci-fi elements.

But, when everyone gets all that, and goes to all of them, then they are bored.

sci-fi gets them back into the game ;D

But, when everyone gets all that, and goes to all of them, then they are bored.

sci-fi gets them back into the game ;D

Well frankly, with that many planets, moons, and asteroids, it would take thousands of game hours to even get close to everything you could get done with it done.

ESPECIALLY when you consider if they make a roleplay (non-sandbox) element to the game.

Well frankly, with that many planets, moons, and asteroids, it would take thousands of game hours to even get close to everything you could get done with it done.

ESPECIALLY when you consider if they make a roleplay (non-sandbox) element to the game.

Exactly. I don\'t think very many would be willling to put the hours into doing everything there is to do in a single solar system, not to mention multiple.

That would be why interplanetary travel can be saved for after release, as an expansion. It wouldn\'t even be all that sci fi, either, as we already have the technology in real life*. Translating it into the kerbal universe would be easy as cake. Or a piece of pie. No need to bring up the bundle of challenges that would open up.

I agree that the focus of KSP as it is now should be just the Kerbol system. But I would like to think that KSP will catch many more people\'s imaginations and desires, and doesn\'t stop there. Squad is a damn fine company and they deserve every chance to continue beyond just KSP.

*For one example, peruse information on Project Orion. This is a good starting place: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Orion_(nuclear_propulsion)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.