SpaceY Saturns - Low part count Saturn rocket replicas (Saturn V/Skylab, IB, IF, INT-17, 18, 20, 21)

MattJL

kdfSTcu.png

Dependencies:

UPDATE 10/18/15: EYES TURNED SKYWARDS LAUNCH VEHICLES

What is SpaceY Saturns?

SpaceY Saturns is a collection of relatively low part count replicas of the Saturn family of rockets, both flown and stuck on the drawing boards, made from SpaceY and stock parts. The current edition of SpaceY Saturns features nine different Saturn launch vehicles:

Downloads:

Launch vehicles:

Saturn IB

Saturn IF

Saturn INT-20

Saturn INT-21, manned

Saturn V

Saturn V Skylab

Saturn VIII "Nova"

Saturn II INT-17

Saturn II INT-18

Saturn INT-21, unmanned

Payload packages:

AARDV

ASTP docking module

Centaur kit

LEM Habitat

LEM Shelter

LEM Truck with Rover

Baseline LEM

Resupply/logistics module

Wet workshop

Future plans:

Four words: Bigger, heavier, and larger. I currently have a liquid booster enhanced Saturn V in the testing phase, and beyond that, probably an Apollo-derived Duna craft pack. Leave any suggestions or ideas and I'll consider them.

Happy flying!

Edited by MattJL

That is A LOT of ships! Love it!

How long did you spend making all of these?

Thanks!

About three days - had a long weekend. I eyeballed the Saturn V stages and engines, and they happened to turn out just about right, which is what I credit to being able to produce them fairly quickly.

Can we have a IC, and a multibody?

I'm going to say a tentative yes to both. There's two potential complications I see offhand - one, the TWR of a single Ratite engined launch vehicle might be a bit low. If that's the case, I'm going to have to figure out an alternative (possibly a Rhino clipped into the stage for cosmetic's sake). Two, clipping six or eight orange tanks to form the orange bit of the Multibody could look a bit ugly. I'll give it a shot, though.

Quick update: Unfortunately, the Saturn Multibody probably won't be happening due to the fact that the orange tank arrangement I came up with is horribly inefficient. To make up for that, I'm working on a new type of vehicle based off of the Saturn IC called the Saturn IC3. Basically, it's a Multibody without the orange on the first stage. I have yet to give it a proper shakedown cruise, though, but I think it'll have a slightly better payload than the IB. TWR's already excellent, I think it'll play well with the AARDV and the Centaur kit. Expect that to be released soon.

If you weren't adverse to another mod, could you make the Atom Saturn? I forgot the real name so I used the media nickname.

Are you referring to the Saturn C-5N? If so, that'd be a fairly easy one to throw together - SpaceY Expanded has a set of vacuum engines that make really good representations of NERVAs. I'll have an upload ready by tomorrow. If you want one with a proper NERVA, I'll use the four-chambered one from Modular Rocket Systems.

The Duna spacecraft I'm also working on (spoiler: it's based off of Ares from "Voyage") won't use vaccum/NERVA engines, for the record, because the TWR is painfully low.

I just want the multibody, I don't care about aesthetics.

Sorry this took a little while longer than I anticipated, but the Saturn IC/Multibody is finished!

SpaceY Saturns Eyes Turned Skyward lifters!

Saturn IC:

lH99xKr.png

The powerful yet economical (only 55 parts) Saturn IC uses a single Emu engine as a substitute for the single F-1 that the "real" thing had. Pretend it's an F-1B if you'd like. After launching, throttle back to 2/3 to help prevent laggy aero effects. The S-IVB reaches orbit on fumes.

Comes with a free resupply/logistics module as a default payload.

Downloads:

With Apollo spacecraft.

With payload faring.

Saturn IC2S:

SPqWOLK.png

A step up from the IC in terms of payload performance, the IC2S is merely a baseline Saturn IC with two solids strapped to it. Equivalent to the Multibody M22.

Downloads:

With payload faring.

Saturn IC3 Stretched:

R9dwoPC.png

NASA's heavy workhorse in Eyes Turned Skyward, the Saturn IC3 Stretched features an enhanced S-IVB (S-IVC) that allows it to rival the Saturn V. Equivalent to the Multibody Heavy H03.

Downloads:

With Apollo spacecraft.

With payload faring.

Edited by MattJL
Ostrich, emu, what's the difference?

• 11 months later...

These are some great-looking Saturns, @MattJL! I was working on making something very similar to this the other day, but now I see it's already been done. And probably better than I would have done it! :P Very cool, I'll try them out when I get home.

• 10 months later...

Hey all !

I know this thread is a little bit outdated, but I wanted to know witch mod provides the cool intermediate fairing used at the S-II (last stage) of the Saturn V (in the 1st imgur album) ? The stock fairings can only be placed at the end of a vessel...

1 hour ago, HerrCrazi said:

I know this thread is a little bit outdated, but I wanted to know witch mod provides the cool intermediate fairing used at the S-II (last stage) of the Saturn V (in the 1st imgur album) ? The stock fairings can only be placed at the end of a vessel...

Firstly, as hinted at by the title of this thread, the fairing on the S-IV stage (which is the final stage of the Saturn V, the S-II is the second stage) comes from SpaceY. Secondly, stock fairings can be used as interstage fairings; if you get the fairing in the right position you will see the text turn blue and say "close fairing", at which point you can click to close the fairing around whatever part the top of it is connected to at that time.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.