THE single most aggravating thing in KSP for me is...

wossname

Performance.
Lag. 5char

This, this and this. KSP affects the performance of my entire computer terribly when run alone while it's possible for me to run War Thunder, Youtube, and Flight Simulator X and still not experience a crap ton of lag.

the fact that it's still just an unoptimized movement engine with some shoehorned-in game elements and has hardly changed for the past two years despite rushing into "1.0" and three console release announcements

That's three things. Oh wait, nevermind you have the Alt-F12 menu open.

The festering pile of dung that Squad call a thermal system. The other day I finally found it can be turned off in the debug menu under Physics, I so could have done with learning that months ago.

90% of my opinion on 1.0.5 will depend on whether or not Squad fix it.

This. I've disabled the thermal system as much as I care to (ignore max temp, no conduction) because it seems every single vessel I have that clips parts slightly in (not using the offset tool here - the stock docking port clips half its model in by itself anyway) has that runaway overheating. I try my best, use most massive parts, don't use offset, and it will be working fine. As soon as I dock anything to it though, boom, loads of red bars and a glowing station that, due to a bug, can't be made to unglow without changing scene, which takes forever.

It's a bit annoying playing with Ignore Max Temp but I still RP as if it's enabled - I still put heatshields on things, I still attach radiators etc, it's just those are for cosmetic use and so I can say 'well, if the thermal system was working right, so would this'.

Like you, most of my opinion of 1.0.5 will be based on the fixes to this.

This. I've disabled the thermal system as much as I care to (ignore max temp, no conduction) because it seems every single vessel I have that clips parts slightly in (not using the offset tool here - the stock docking port clips half its model in by itself anyway) has that runaway overheating. I try my best, use most massive parts, don't use offset, and it will be working fine. As soon as I dock anything to it though, boom, loads of red bars and a glowing station that, due to a bug, can't be made to unglow without changing scene, which takes forever.

It's a bit annoying playing with Ignore Max Temp but I still RP as if it's enabled - I still put heatshields on things, I still attach radiators etc, it's just those are for cosmetic use and so I can say 'well, if the thermal system was working right, so would this'.

Like you, most of my opinion of 1.0.5 will be based on the fixes to this.

What kind of mods do you have installed? Which OS? I clip like a maniac and rarely have this problem.

Having only ten contracts to choose from, some of which are plainly impossible or want me to do utterly uninteresting or flatly stupid things. For that matter, having to complete contracts for money.

this. so, so, so much this.

Having a staging interface in the VAB that is single threaded - only able to show or define items in a stack on the side, rather than an integrated graphical view combining both the side stack and the VAB graphical view. So frustrating...

I mean to say, it is 2015... come on guys... who in Squad is ACTUALLY thinking about real UI/X design these days?

Edited by Wallygator

Contracts.

Hey build us a station above Kerbin with a Kerbal capacity of an overbooked Caribbean cruise with a fuel capacity of Middle east.

You did? Here's the cash, you can delete it now!

You aren't going to want to delete that after 1.0.5.

And kerbal joint reinforcement is too strong.

I'd wish I could scale it in game or something.

I should probably have clarified. I don't mind the use of struts on large booster stages which will be discarded, but for larger payloads under shrouds or in cargobays when partcount is a thing, is annoying. Can't we just make the assumption that when you stick it in a shroud or cargobay it is secured properly and automatically?

Having only ten contracts to choose from, some of which are plainly impossible or want me to do utterly uninteresting or flatly stupid things. For that matter, having to complete contracts for money.

I have found the game more enjoyable to play in career mode in a science mode fashion. Editing the save file to start with something like 2-3 million and then playing. If the contracts get too repetitive, I just start building what I want.

I got tired of having to constantly go put sats into a specific orbit over and over again.

That and I can`t stand that it doesn't show you a picture of the inventory item the contract wants you to use.

Can I change/add to my response? Thanks!

Click-through in the editor. I've just finished putting together a 50-billion (or 420) part monstrosity weighing in excess of 10,000 tons and notice that my staging is not quite right. Of course, said monstrosity fills the screen and then some even though I'm zoomed out as far as I can. I go to move something from one stage to another or to rearrange the stages, only to have the editor think I have picked up 250 parts and then tried to attach them to a part with 8x symmetry, so my 420 part behemoth becomes a 2200 part leviathon (which proceeds to crash the game when I try to undo). My career game being up to about 40 flights is taking about 8 minutes to load :( right now, so that really diminishes my enjoyment of what is otherwise the best game I have ever played (for me anyhow). Please fix the staging click-through asap... :)

Danny

The weird zooming-out bug that I get every now and then during transfer burns, I have no idea what causes it and it has popped up in every install I've ever had (sometimes it starts up in a save when it's been dormant for x burns/hours/missions). Oh and another bug I've recently encountered that spontaneously maxes out all the temperature gauges whilst in orbit and explodes my craft... though that one can be easily avoided by accelerating time in KSC or tracking station view.

If we're ignoring bugs/krakens and focusing on actual game-mechanics I guess I'd have to go with parachutes ending up on the first stage by default if you put them on last. Though I have to admit that I've cracked a smile or two when my rockets and planes have started to do what I call the "parachute dance" - the amazing-to-witness battle between powerful engines and nylon sheets resulting in an almost elegant spiraling dance.

Oh and, being the kind of person who wants to do everything in a proper order, doing a flyby/orbit/impact/landing mission with an expendable probe with no means of getting back to its planet of origin and immediately after completing said mission receiving a mission to safely return the probe from flyby/orbit/impact/landing. That really bugs me. :)

Uhm... also stock SAS-control being annoyingly wobbly when mechjeb's SmartASS does it flawlessly. I should really stop thinking and editing this post now. The more I think, the more I realize that a lot of things in the game bug me. Why do I have to love the game sooooo much?

Edited by algeo

And kerbal joint reinforcement is too strong.

I'd wish I could scale it in game or something.

You can. From the OP:

...Option to make connections fail at lower forces to maintain difficulty in launching...

Basically, there's a config.xml in the KerbalJointReinforcement/Plugin/PluginData/KerbalJointReinforcement folder with a bunch of values to adjust to your liking.

Click-through in the editor.
Dear Kraken, I completely forgot about that. I think I've been lucky recently (my builds have been small, for one). But I certainly consider it the most unforgivable bug, because "click through" was a solved problem by Xerox in nineteen freaking seventy three. In 2015 there is absolutely no excuse for that bug.

You can. From the OP:

Basically, there's a config.xml in the KerbalJointReinforcement/Plugin/PluginData/KerbalJointReinforcement folder with a bunch of values to adjust to your liking.

Does that fix the timewarp kraken though? KJR really helps with that by doing whatever it does when it says "stabilizing physics load(or something similar)" when you go out of timewarp. I've only had it happen like twice during all the time I've used KJR (since 1.0 or so), and I used to get it all the time.

Edit: My bad, didn't actually read through what you said properly.

Edited by algeo

Does that fix the timewarp kraken though? KJR really helps with that by doing whatever it does when it says "stabilizing physics load(or something similar)" when you go out of timewarp. I've only had it happen like twice during all the time I've used KJR (since 1.0 or so), and I used to get it all the time.

What? Er...yeah, KJR does fix the issues...erm...KJR fixes. I think you misread my post.

Edited by mythbusters844

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.