THE single most aggravating thing in KSP for me is...

wossname

The dV meter ... or better said, the lack of it in stock. I can't find a rational reason for not having it besides adding artificial difficulty to the game disguised as a incentive to experimentation. Really, the same game devs that make manouver nodes that give dV count and burn times ( so they actually made the game do half of the math needed ) refuse to make a dV meter ...

On a honorary second: the cousin of click throught: the scroll through. If you try to scroll in some menus ( like in the load saved games ) in game, you will also do whatever scroll does for the backround menus and game. Very jarring :D

And on something that MaxMaps said last Friday: no, super elastic and bouncy female kerbals are not funny, especially if you join them to slippery inclined surfaces in low gravity and ragdolling Kerbals ( BTW why do kerbals ragdoll at all? Or , even if there is a good reason to ragdoll, why the game does not return us control of them after some time of ragdolling? Ragdolling in Gilly is FUN :/) . In some situations you can literally have some Siphisean jobs just to try to bring a female kerbal back to a lander: you jetpack the kerbal up to the lander and as soon as you land and make one step, they freeze, start sliding sideways and rolling back to the initial spot, where they get 5 minutes of ragdolling bounciness later ...No, Max that is NOT fun :(

Edited by r_rolo1

Click-through in the editor.

Actually, for you there's good news. One of the Devnote Tuesdays said that is specifically fixed now. I don't remember which, but I do remember because it drives me nuts too.

They said it was because they had 3 or 4 separate systems fighting for control of the pointer, and now the U5 GUI rewrite simplified the hell out of that crock, and it's just 1 system. No more click-through.

Actually, for you there's good news. One of the Devnote Tuesdays said that is specifically fixed now. I don't remember which, but I do remember because it drives me nuts too.

They said it was because they had 3 or 4 separate systems fighting for control of the pointer, and now the U5 GUI rewrite simplified the hell out of that crock, and it's just 1 system. No more click-through.

Well, and then Unity 5 was delayed and there's an interim features-and-bugfixes update.

My pet peeve on KSP: I build a pair of vessels with carefully thought out staging. Rendezvous, dock, and undock. Vessel staging on each vessel is completely messed up.

How difficult is it to keep the staging (and names) of each vessel as they were when you assembled them? When you dock a crew transfer vehicle, I don't want it to be called "Station XYZ Probe" when I undock it again.

Probably not "single most aggravating", but certainly high on the list. Not being able to place a maneuver node on the closest orbit. When you need to calculate burns from as far away as possible, this is most frustrating. Anybody know of a fix, or work around?

Playing KSP at its normal (glacier) speed, and then trying to go into some other building, but accidentally clicking on the wrong one. Or, while building a ludicrous sized ship, pressing Crtl+Z. See you next millennium. Oh, and the slightly rarer Alt+F4 instead of Alt+F5, because I was literally a second away from saving when my game quits, BECAUSE I wanted to save. And also, when I'm putting rocket parts on, it'll "snap" on the node, but not really snap, and I'll go get another part, to realize I never fully affixed the part to the ship, to much annoyance. Also, a biggie, I press the WIN button, to look up something, then when I go back, it doesn't show the icon for it, and I have to close google to see it pop back up, which I'd say is #1 on my list.

Oh Kerbal Space Program, I hate you so damn much, you incredibly amazing game.

The dV meter ... or better said, the lack of it in stock. I can't find a rational reason for not having it besides adding artificial difficulty to the game disguised as a incentive to experimentation. Really, the same game devs that make manouver nodes that give dV count and burn times ( so they actually made the game do half of the math needed ) refuse to make a dV meter ...

Meh, I think they just realize how tricky it is to have an in-all-cases-correct delta-v readout (consider the number of glitches that can happen with the mod ones, despite the fact that they're (undoubtedly) far better than anything that will ever appear in stock), and don't really want to have to deal with it.

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by laziness, I guess?

Also, a biggie, I press the WIN button, to look up something, then when I go back, it doesn't show the icon for it, and I have to close google to see it pop back up, which I'd say is #1 on my list.

Alt-tab my young padawan, alt-tab.

Meh, I think they just realize how tricky it is to have an in-all-cases-correct delta-v readout (consider the number of glitches that can happen with the mod ones, despite the fact that they're (undoubtedly) far better than anything that will ever appear in stock), and don't really want to have to deal with it.

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by laziness, I guess?

Well, half of the issues you mention were caused by SQUAD rather inconsistent and not exactly persistent through versions philosophy about fuel routing ( say, decouplers allow fuel transfer -> decouplers don't allow fuel transfer ->decouplers allow fuel transfer for certain engines, but not others, but they will still say that they can't tranfer fuel ), so they aren't exactly scot-free ... and the rest is basically unsolvable without knowing exactly the flight profile you'll use, something that the base game does not allow and probably never will ( OTOH Mechjeb ... ;) ). I'm not saying that the issue is not a can of worms, I'm just saying that half of the worms were put there by SQUAD itself...

And I'm not atributing to malice anything. I'm actually quoting MaxMaps in one Squadcast last year ( before the schmelta-v tweet, mind that ), where he said explicitely the lack of dV meter was to encourage experimentation ( and fiery explosions ). So either there is what you call malice on their actions, or there is atleast some misdirection ... ;) And TBH, given the huge can of worms they put themselves into with the changes for 1.1, I would not say that SQUAD devs can be called lazy :D

Edited by r_rolo1

Well, half of the issues you mention were caused by SQUAD rather inconsistent and not exactly persistent through versions philosophy about fuel routing ( say, decouplers allow fuel transfer -> decouplers don't allow fuel transfer ->decouplers allow fuel transfer for certain engines, but not others, but they will still say that they can't tranfer fuel ), so they aren't exactly scot-free ... and the rest is basically unsolvable without knowing exactly the flight profile you'll use, something that the base game does not allow and probably never will ( OTOH Mechjeb ... ;) ). I'm not saying that the issue is not a can of worms, I'm just saying that half of the worms were put there by SQUAD itself...

And I'm not atributing to malice anything. I'm actually quoting MaxMaps in one Squadcast last year ( before the schmelta-v tweet, mind that ), where he said explicitely the lack of dV meter was to encourage experimentation ( and fiery explosions ). So either there is what you call malice on their actions, or there is atleast some misdirection ... ;) And TBH, given the huge can of worms they put themselves into with the changes for 1.1, I would not say that SQUAD devs can be called lazy :D

I am dumbfounded this is an actual reason for omitting the single most important aspect of game play!! ÃŽâ€v is the apex point (along with its conjoined twin TWR) in KSP. You go no where without proper ÃŽâ€v, and to see that Squad omitted it just to artificially promote "experimentation" is just head shaking in its idiocy.

From a personal perspective, I played KSP for ages without any mods, being one of those OCD purists you hear so much about. Trial and error were indeed the theme of my games. The downside was, I hardly went anywhere! All my game time was spent launching and re-launching craft with different tweaks trying to figure out how far my craft could get. Then along came KER. T'was such a simple addition. A single line displayed on my screen giving an astute estimate as to how far my creation might fly.

Suddenly a whole new game opened up. No longer was it an exercise in frustration: adding engines, removing fuel, scribbling notes and launching and relaunching. With the foreknowledge of ÃŽâ€v I design crafts for missions. You know, to go places! Now I know (within a reasonable margin of error) what this rocket-fueled-jenga stack is about to do. My crafts are better designed for their contract purposes, my career games last longer, and I play the game longer with much more enjoyment.

This is my "single most aggravating thing in KSP." The deliberate omission of a core game stat for the sole purpose of artificially inflating game difficulty. Poorly played Squad.

(Now back to hours of fun space exploration, with KER.)

Edited by Sobriquet
added the " � ", grammar and spelling

Perhaps there are other reasons for such omissions. Perhaps it is also to encourage mod makers to produce new and varied ideas on how to solve an obvious problem such as the one so eloquently ranted about in the preceding post :)

Who knows?

Squad moves in mysterious ways.

Well, I think that they meant to do with the dV meter what they ended making with manouver nodes: something to get unlocked with the career progression. The issue is that, unlike manouver nodes ( well, sorta. You can reach the planets without manouver nodes ... it is just much harder to do it properly ), you can actually do good enough in KSP without a dV meter , so the development of it was ( and is ) always in the second page of the "to do" list. But, as you can't actually say that without looking bad, might as well drop the "experimentation" meme, maybe coupled with the "funny explosions" one ...

Anyway, this is largely off topic. Better leave it where it is before a mod closes this thread .

When you've landed on a planet/moon, collected the science using the RCS backpack and slightly nudge the solar panel and it splinters into a bazillion pieces.

You can just F9 back to before you collected all the science but its very, VERY annoying that the solar panels are so brittle.

Tell me about it:

b1OCWnM.png

I finally got all the way to the surface of Eve, and popped my Kerbal out to do some science, dropping him to the ground because I forgot to extend the ladder before hitting the EVA button (he was OK, he landed on his head). When I went to go back inside I realized that the ladder was installed upside-down. Doh just doesn't cover it!

JR

1.Unscheduled, rapid disassembly of my SSTO on final approach....for no damn reason.

2.Unscheduled, rapid disassembly of my SSTO on final approach....for no damn reason. Look over and notice that the VAB is engulfed in flames.

The Kraken is also an arsonist apparently.

It doesn't seem to be fixed in the version I have... but I am looking forward to the new and improved version like everyone else!

Danny

1.Unscheduled, rapid disassembly of my SSTO on final approach....for no damn reason.

2.Unscheduled, rapid disassembly of my SSTO on final approach....for no damn reason. Look over and notice that the VAB is engulfed in flames.

The Kraken is also an arsonist apparently.

This is a key development. The "wing glitch" where you hit the VAB despite being nowhere near it is well known but this is the first time I've heard of someone seeing the VAB take damage. It may help pin down the bug.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.