Infinity Battlescape Kickstarter has started [Funded ! Now about those stretch goals ;-)]

DirkLarien

Could you link to which video and a time?

What you saw was probably the correction assist correcting for gravity wanting to pull the ship down or fighting against the atmosphere but I can't tell for sure unless I know when you mean. It could have also been accelerating at the time.

I've played the prototype myself and I can assure you that with correction assist off you tap forward you will go forward forever until you hit something.

Edited by How2FoldSoup

If you are referring to this part

then tell my why is this assist burning fuel when traveling at a set speed?

It was an aesthetic choice for the cinematic, albeit a poor one in my opinion. There are countless other videos where ships burn to a particular velocity and then cut engines to coast. Having played the ICP (predecessor to Battlescape) and being a regular on their forums, I can assure you the flight model in space is fully newtonian. Flight assist is provided but can be disabled.

In-atmo, I couldn't tell you exactly because it's relatively new to see. But the devs have stated repeatedly that atmospheric density and the cross-section of a vehicle all affect lift and drag to produce semi-aerodynamic flight modeling. They use more of a lifting body approach + thrusters rather than using wings with active control surfaces.

I already did that.

Went right over my head, sorry about that. Probably cinematic as Navy has already said. I'm not sure if there's a video or livestream where the pilot flies with assist-off to show it better. It's newtonian though so it's self explanatory(like you said you already know it) and it's there.

I have flown in the atmosphere in the new prototype and it is quite draggy and you can definitely feel the loss of control if you try to turn to hard.

(Statements retracted after more thorough reading of the above posts and decision to not participate in the argument after all)

Cooler heads prevail :) If you have any questions(that hopefully don't begin an argument) I'd be happy to answer them.

I thought I'd update the thread and say that we're past the 50% threshold but we still need a lot of funding. If anyone has seen this and became interested/might like a game like this in the future or knows someone who might be interested, please help spread the word!

Scott Manley plays Infinity Battlescape

+ few new screens

Dev Hutchings posts:

100 Million km out... it didn't take too long to get way out here, I got up to lightspeed after about 5 minutes... then left it fly for a while, maybe another 5-10 mintues or so and then took this picture.

f61de1f7bf4b3a552fdff2f8edca24e82256eec6.jpg

500 Million km out.... I turned about again, engaged the warp drives, then let it sit at maximum speed for a while so I could get some food... some time later I took this screenshot.

686d25e73cc2d81797b98d5ee24e90554ca6aed4.jpg

Dev playtest

c0b214aaf08efb7e2e9a81ff83334e224b7432eb.jpg

Edited by DirkLarien

I'm so excited this is happening and like a lot of the other loyal followers I've been waiting for this moment for many years. I only hope the wider community of space game-loving people can spare a few extra bucks; they're only asking for a fraction of what other developers have raised.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.