Will StratoLaunch Fly?

fredinno

1 hour ago, Canopus said:

or Composite Condor, wonder whats going to happen to it now.

It would be cool if someone uses it to haul ridiculously outsized things around, like heavy equipment to disaster areas or luxury yachts for absurdly rich people.

On 5/31/2019 at 6:36 PM, Thor Wotansen said:

It would be cool if someone uses it to haul ridiculously outsized things around, like heavy equipment to disaster areas or luxury yachts for absurdly rich people.

If they sell it to Virgin Galactic, they could make a far bigger spaceship to hang underneath.

Edited by Ultimate Steve

On 5/31/2019 at 7:36 PM, Thor Wotansen said:

Sort of like this:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conroy_Virtus

only around non-aerodynamic loads you would need a bigger version of this:http://www.vc10.net/Technical/oddities.html#EnginePod

I hope it is bought-it would just suck to see it go to waste, even if it was impractical.

• 3 months later...
4 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

What’s dead may never die. 

Have they found a new investor?

Unsure yet.

Representatives of the Allen family’s Vulcan holding company have insisted that Stratolaunch remains operational. LinkedIn listings indicate that Jean Floyd is still president and CEO, although three company vice presidents left in July.

Now Stratolaunch is posting 11 job openings, including listings for two test pilots. “As a test pilot on the history-making Stratolaunch Carrier Aircraft, the world’s largest-wingspan aircraft, you will have the opportunity to accomplish new milestones in aviation,” the company says.

Then:

We’ve asked Vulcan about the reported investment, the hiring push and any expectations about an announcement. We’ll update this report with anything we can pass along.

The article that will be updated is linked in the tweet above.

• 3 weeks later...

Stratolaunch has a new owner.

Stratolaunch said Friday that it has “transitioned ownership ” but will be continuing regular operations. In the near term, the company said in a statement, it will focus on providing rocket-powered testbeds and “associated flight services.”

The company did not say who its new owner is. Two people familiar with the matter said, without providing further specifics, that it is a group of investors.

A spokeswoman for Stratolaunch declined to comment on the date of the sale, terms of the deal or where the new owner is based. Jean Floyd remains chief executive, a role he has held since 2015.

6 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

Stratolaunch has a new owner.

Stratolaunch said Friday that it has “transitioned ownership ” but will be continuing regular operations. In the near term, the company said in a statement, it will focus on providing rocket-powered testbeds and “associated flight services.”

The company did not say who its new owner is. Two people familiar with the matter said, without providing further specifics, that it is a group of investors.

A spokeswoman for Stratolaunch declined to comment on the date of the sale, terms of the deal or where the new owner is based. Jean Floyd remains chief executive, a role he has held since 2015.

Interesting... Glad to see this moving forward, the more options out there, the better.

5 minutes ago, tater said:
Boyle thinks the new owner is Northrop Grumman. Interesting...

I wonder if they're going to use the Roc to transport submarines or something....

I do hope it gets used for something, and doesn't just become another aviation record holder that slowly wastes away in a hangar somewhere where people pay $5 to see it.

8 minutes ago, Thor Wotansen said:

I wonder if they're going to use the Roc to transport submarines or something....

I do hope it gets used for something, and doesn't just become another aviation record holder that slowly wastes away in a hangar somewhere where people pay $5 to see it.

Pegasus (or some variant).

3 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

It really needs to switch to some other rocket to be competitive.

Yeah, no kidding. Wonder how much mass they could get to LEO with this drop vehicle...

Looks like the carrier aircraft payload is 230 metric tons. Not really enough to do much unless they can squeeze out more Isp from whatever engines they use.

17 minutes ago, tater said:

Yeah, no kidding. Wonder how much mass they could get to LEO with this drop vehicle...

Not that much, as it turns out. Around 6-8t with a VacRaptor-powered single stage rocket, or up to 15 with two stage design. Less than F9.

However, that single stage design can be a reusable spaceplane, which will shear another ton or two from usable payload, but will cut the cost greatly.

Edited by sh1pman

On 10/14/2019 at 2:59 PM, sh1pman said:

However, that single stage design can be a reusable spaceplane, which will shear another ton or two from usable payload, but will cut the cost greatly.

Just two tons to give the rocket wings, tps, control surfaces, and landing gear? I doubt it on a rocket big enough to take 8 tons to orbit.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Some news, and a lot of hypersonic projects.

https://spacenews.com/stratolaunch-announces-hypersonic-vehicle-plans/

Talon-A

xb8z0Zz.jpg

Could take-off on its own.

Talon-Z

JrIEGqX.png

Larger model-A, which Stratolaunch doesn't talk a lot about.

Black Ice

v2lWBKm.png

Yes, an Orbiter. Mostly a cargo spaceplane, but which could be used to carry humans.

-----------------------------

Edit:

@tater, seems like we posted at the exact same time :D

Edited by XB-70A

2 minutes ago, XB-70A said:

@tater, seems like we posted at the exact same time :D

I'm torn between reading $#@! about coronavirus, and wishing I was reading literally anything else, so I was seeking out new space news to distract me.

• 1 year later...

I may seem like a debby downer but I think they just built a very large plane for no reason. It's not even branded as a space launch platform, now its called a hypersonic test platform. I guess they realized that there aren't any rockets built to fly on their plane and its way too expensive to develop their own rockets and spacecraft.