How do rocket stage seperate in real life?

Hyrogen

I just want to say : when I saw that SRB separation, I was thinking "man, I bet whoever designed that rocket had to revert to the VAB a few times to get that separation reliable."

I always found that designs that depend on stuff like that are never reliable. You'll have to revert to the launchpad every other launch. Better to go for something simpler, just a big pile of liquid fuel boosters above other boosters.

Well, the shuttle's SRB separation had the additionnal problem of needing them to go away from the orbiter's wing in addition for them to move away from the fuel tank :)

Here's another SRB sep, from ariane V (onboard camera view for the separation around 3:40) - plus, we can see how the SRBs residual thrust get them far away from the core stage :)

Just like to add that SpaceX uses Pneumatic separation, rather than Pyrotechnics.

This is a different, interesting approach, that is focused on re-usability, but more complicated and heavy iirc.

No issue for them not to use pyrotechnics, just replace the part after landing they will anyway need to replace some stuff.

Fighter jets uses pyrotechnics to separate some stuff to, friend worked on F16 and had some used decoplers for F16, an bolt with an charge in the center, then an protective cape around to capture the blast.

No its not used for small bombs, probably on larger stuff.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.