KSP on PS4 and Xbox One, how will it work?

Dat_Spy_44

Any ideas on how the console version of KSP will work?

The big advantages of PC is that it has more BLAST PROCESSING and more buttons for the controls. How can the consoles process this much and let alone build, launch, and control?

I'm thinking that since Squad is so amazing, they will come up with something.

It's not called rocket science for nothing! Except it isn't rocket science, more like, game science, you know what I mean. :confused:

With all of the limitations and lack of actual export features on the XBOX and PS4 versions of minecraft, many of my friends were compelled to acquire the PC version. I see consoles as a good starter platform, but PC's are overall more versatile and useful even when not gaming.

Edited by Red Iron Crown

I see this thread getting closed in the very near future...

Anyway, I guess the console performance will depend on Unity engine. If I understood correctly, the ported version are going to run Unity 5. This is a good thing for us PC users: if Unity 5 makes the game stable enough, and increases its performance so that it can run steadily on a console, that can only mean that U5 will be a significant improvement over U4.6, even on PC.

And if someone uses a console he's not automatically an idiot: think about the console users who will play KSP, rocket science is serious business ! :wink:

Edit: and I thought the KSP community was above the "PC Master Race" mentality... :(

Edited by Gaarst
Removed censored word, sorry

I've never bought a console and I don't expect I ever will. I have, however, owned 3. Most of the games I've ever played on console aren't available on PC, and most of the games I play on PC aren't available on console.

You're comparing whether it's more fun to do a lap of the Nurbergring Nurburgring in a car or on a motorbike. Such banality!

Edited by Red Iron Crown
I spelt Nurburgring wrong

no one knows right now it's all speculation and really almost nobody cares as we are all already playing on the better version (no you cant claim otherwise it's objectively better)

Mods make a game infinitely re-playable. Basically it's outsourced infinite content for you to custom tailor a game you like to be the way you want. That can't be beat

You're comparing whether it's more fun to do a lap of the Nurbergring in a car or on a motorbike. Such banality!

Please, for the love of Ceiling Cat! That race track is called Nürburgring, Nuerburgring if you use a US/UK keyboard. Thanks. Carry on! =3

Please, for the love of Ceiling Cat! That race track is called Nürburgring, Nuerburgring if you use a US/UK keyboard. Thanks. Carry on! =3

Umlauts are always optional in English. But thanks for pointing out the correct spelling, I actually tried several before deciding I couldn't tell. :P

The following video about the Steam gamepad can explain how well it could work on a PS4 or Xbox One.

Sure their controllers are different than the Steam gamepad, but they are similar enough to draw to a conclusion.

All this PC vs console stuff is quite stupid, sure PC has modding and console have stability(and many more for both).

But at one point the sharp line between both of them will disappear. Steam on PC has the option to use it as a console and

console are becoming more like PCs.

Doesn't matter whether they somehow manage to give it an "acceptable" control scheme for consoles.

I just have to imagine playing KSP without the most basic mods, like stock bug fixes, kerbal engineer and kerbal alarm clock...

For at least the same price as the pc version...

:confused:

Nope, just nope.

I can see at least one good thing coming from the console edition:

It will reduce the usability of "just use a mod" as an argument against suggestions/balance changes.

Just hope that they don't nerf the PC version to keep it similar to the console versions.

I can see at least one good thing coming from the console edition:

It will reduce the usability of "just use a mod" as an argument against suggestions/balance changes.

You actually have an excellent point there !

Totally agree.

The thing to look at for controls is the different scenes use different controls... Yes kery boards have lots more buttons but how many do you need in each scene...

Space center view only needs the cursor movement and select buttons (one to open and the other to see the upgrade screen)

VAB/SPH need the cursor, symmetry toggle, place/grab, rotate, select rotate axis, rotate small step, and view manipulators.

The staging, action groups, and crew assignment would be separate popups

Flight is throttle up, down, full, and kill. Pitch, roll and yaw, view manipulators and jump to M view. When using RCS for docking set to docking directionals instead of Pitch and such.

I think there will be a learning curve for PC players trying out the console versions but not insurmountable. I do just fine on the PS4 Minecraft. I will miss mods but a couple of them might be able to be simplified and scaled to console, like alarm clock. I will really miss KIS/KAS tho.... I live and die by those. Being able to bind controls as desired would be Awesome tho. I never quite like the stock control layouts in console games.

Alacrity

• 6 months later...

I don't think the Steam controller is really a good analogue for a console controller. For one, using the Steam controller's touchpad as a mouse stand-in is nothing like using a regular controller stick; the latter is generally terrible. With the Steam controller setup as a touchball it actually works pretty well.

It also has the mode-switching paddle buttons on the back that are currently used for actions groups and some other controls during flight.

• 5 weeks later...
On 17 October 2015 at 9:52 PM, Yemo said:

Doesn't matter whether they somehow manage to give it an "acceptable" control scheme for consoles.

I just have to imagine playing KSP without the most basic mods, like stock bug fixes, kerbal engineer and kerbal alarm clock...

For at least the same price as the pc version...

:confused:

Nope, just nope.

WHAT THE HELL I don't have a PC and I don't care about mods I just want ksp on my ps4.

Edited by daBOSSMATE

On October 17, 2015 at 4:57 PM, Red Iron Crown said:

Thread purged of PC Master Race nonsense. Please keep the discussion to the console versions and don't be dismissive, condescending elitists, thank you.

Thank you! There is no point in being a ***hole because you think your platform is better. We all want to play the same game. Who cares who plays it on what. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.