[0.15.2] TOP GUN

Those are all great designs, I\'m STILL trying to stick the landing, I\'m consistently smashing into the carrier at ~3:30. The balloons are popping because of your exhaust, it says so in the after-flight summary.

Excellent flying by everyone so far.

I had to edit the persistance file to get the carrier and balloons in place. It\'s quite \'hacky\' so that may be why they dissapear.

It exploits the way the game loads landed objects. I\'m not entirely sure how it works but when the game loads a landed ship, it raycasts towards the ground. If the ship is too high or over water, the raycast fails and the object becomes \'stuck\' in place. That\'s why the carrier doesn\'t sink even though a heavy plane has landed on it. If you switch to one of the frozen ship using the square brackets, you won\'t be able to switch to another ship because the game considers the objects to be in flight.

I think you could make the carrier 2km long... that would help a lot.

And make it wider.

I edited the part.cfg file to make scale = 2 instead of one, and I\'m no nearer being able to land on it. I really need a joystick! Lack of flaps to slow down is a killer, though I can\'t get my chopper on it either - just too many things going on at the same time for keys to be adequate.

Yeah, I\'ve been crying out for airbrakes or flaps with all my landing attempts, but also spoilers, because planes still don\'t stall quite right and I\'ve had a few aircraft hit the deck with the chutes open then bounce back off and glide down into the sea. A way to reduce the lift of the wings as opposed to just increasing drag would be really useful.

I found that to land on the carrier, you want a min of 4 wheels otherwise I seemed to always lose a wing. and to get speed down to about 40 m/s at about 100m before the carrier, imagine the carrier as the second half of the runway and stay low on the landing, it would be better to do this approach:

------------ -----------

/ \ \

---------------------- than this \__________

/

-----------

as you are less likely to bounce off the carrier ( although a perfectly constant level approach is best), and hit the brakes only after all wheels are safely down.

Still can\'t get the damn landing. >:( Loads of near misses, but always either a headlong crash into the back of the carrier, or losing control of the plane either because of a stupid mistake (banking too far and such) or a bit of lag messing with my controls. Ballons are all gone in two minutes on a good run, then I screw up. Still fun, though.

• 2 weeks later...

I was meddling with the carrier to put a few cameras on it - an attachment node or two on the tower would be handy to plop a rotatron/hinge camera assembly on. With a MechJeb or command module, editing the carrier to have fuel onboard, and a load of props and rudders, I dream of setting sail with this behemoth....

Idea: If the game starts implementing multiple launch sites (e.g. KSC2), being able to launch from an aircraft carrier would make perfect sense......

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.