ignore .git folder in saves

I have had problems in the past with corrupted savegame files, especially when using (and building) mods, so I now control my savegame files with git.

This creates a .git folder in the saves folder, which is picked up by the game as an "incompatible/invalid save". It's no problem as I simply choose "delete", KSP is unable to delete it, and I can play as normal.

The only problem comes if I choose ignore instead of delete, which locks up the client necessitating a restart.

I would think it would be a simple change to have the client ignore dot folders when looking for savegames. Thanks

I've always put the git repository in the KSP root folder, with a comprehensive .gitignore. This had the nice side effect of letting me also keep my mods and mod config files in version control, very useful pre-CKAN.

But yeah, ignoring dot files is probably a good idea.

Why not use the SAVE mod? It saves your saves in it's own folder in the KSP folder. Just click Backup and it is, well backed up.

I'm sure there are lots of ways to do it. I use Git because I'm a programmer and I'm used to that workflow.

• 2 weeks later...
This creates a .git folder in the saves folder, which is picked up by the game as an "incompatible/invalid save".

To avoid that problem you could move your repository so it's not stored in the saves folder.

Run the following in the saves folder:

git init --separate-git-dir=../saves.git

This will move the .git folder up to ksp folder as saves.git/ and leave a .git file that links to the repository so the working dir is still connected.

I made a plugin called KerbalGit, that sets up a git repo for the saves folder and automatically commits on certain events.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.