If you could redesign/improve the Kerbol System, what would you do?

Findthepin1

1. I'd give Jool rings with actual asteroids, masses varying from B-E. From far away it would look like a hologram but if the player entered it there would start spawning asteroids up to 5km away to the player, and they would despawn completely if the player went too far, however they would be considered a normal asteroid and would gain a name if the player grabbed it with a klaw or marked it in the tracking station.

There would be an option of turning the asteroids on and off when creating the save, and in the game's graphics settings the player would be able to choose how many asteroids spawn at the same time, from 2-30 (would destroy CPUs)

2. Make the sun bigger, and at the same time making the planets farther from it

3. Add bigger asteroids, up to 1/5 minmus's diameter (yes that's REALLY huge, and I'd absolutely love that)

4. A way to change a planet's surface with some parts, not by changing it's material or temperature, but by changing it I mean making it flatter, and would take lots of time (stupid idea I know but would be great for ground bases)

5. More surface features that could suggest the planets/satellites' past, like if the planet was once an ice giant, if it had/could have light on it, and also adding science instruments for these things (some kind of chemcam would be cool)

1, 3 and 5 together would have a great potential for a DLC, but of course there would be more things other than that

I'd make some minor tweaks

• Mün would be pushed out to require a 12 hour (2 day) of 18 hour (3 day) transfer with a minimal Hahmann transfer maneuver.    Also increase inclination to 6 degrees (what Minmus is currently).  With closeness and the large SOI, getting there shouldn't be too difficult from an equatorial Kerbin orbit still.

• Minmus increase inclination, and give some eccentricity.  Make the periapsis and apoapsis the descending and ascending nodes too.  Gives players practice on lining up transfer windows.

• Jool system, rearrange such as the suggestion from Principa.  Namely Bop to orbit retrograde to the system and the three lrager inner moons to have their orbits tweaked.  I'm not suggesting Principa, only the Jool system tweaked.

More radical ideas

• Minmus gets moved to Eeloo.  This just makes sense to be honest.  A Pluto/Charon analogue.
  • Move Gilly to Duna.  I'm a little cooler on this idea but  only in that Eve just becomes much harder without the refueling orbital outpost.

Peace.

• 2 years later...
On 9/5/2020 at 5:10 PM, Leopard said:

I do incidentally love the idea of a planet based on the "Venus" from something like the early Sci-Fi novels,

This would be great.  A Duna from Bradbury's Martian Chronicles would be cool also with all the ancient abandoned alien tech

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.