Forum server maintenance Oct 21st

KasperVld

Hi everyone,

Two weeks ago the server maintenance that was planned failed due to a faulty backup. We've had contact with our hosting provider and they've rescheduled the maintenance. The new maintenance window is 08:00UTC - 10:00UTC next Wednesday. During these two hours the websites are expected to go down for about 30 minutes, and the forums will be unavailable while the update is performed.

The server update will likely mean an updated IP for our websites, and since we've had transfers in the past the following might be important if you've ever hardcoded the KSP website IP to quickly update the DNS records: if you have ever done so I strongly advise you to open the C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\HOSTS file and remove any references to kerbalspaceprogram.com or any subdomains. This will prevent you being unable to open the website or forums after the server update. Different procedures may apply to other operating systems, but I'm not 100% sure how they work.

On Linux it'd be the /etc/hosts file, and /private/etc/hosts on OSX :)

This would only apply to people who have deliberately added the IP address of the KSP forums to their hosts file so no DNS lookup takes place.

So if it's Greek to you, you don't need to worry about it.

Edited by sal_vager

Do you hardcode it in the browser settings or something? I haven't done anything to the website cookies or whatever outside of browser settings.

Thanks for the headsup though.

Edit: I looked at the HOSTS file on my own computer and it's blank (as in theres nothing set up), so, I nave nothing to worry about here.

(thanks sal_vager)

Edited by smjjames