[1.3.1] Cloaking Device (v0.11a Oct 14, 2017)

wasml

• 3 weeks later...

@Mycroft Currently there is no option to hide particle effects. No promises but I'll take a look at adding the option - hoping to get around to seeing what needs updated for 1.1.3 this weekend and I'll look at it then.

Just now, wasml said:

@Mycroft Currently there is no option to hide particle effects. No promises but I'll take a look at adding the option - hoping to get around to seeing what needs updated for 1.1.3 this weekend and I'll look at it then.

YAY!

Recompiled for 1.1.3

One step backwards: I tried to re-texture the model and now the cloak slug doesn't fade out - just disappears at full cloak like the shadows (but it has a really neat metallic sheen!). Not sure if this is due to the new shaders but the old model fades out properly. If you want the old behavior copy and replace the model and texture with the v0.07 model/texture (available on Spacedock under Changelog)

@Mycroft I found part of the solution for the particle effects - if you turn the engine on after you cloak the vessel it works. If you cloak while the engine is emitting particles the particles that are in play when full cloak is reached remain. Not only do they remain - they hang around until you uncloak! Actually looks rather funny with a static particle cloud just hanging there. The way I implemented this it turns off all particle effects on a vessel - not just engine exhaust. It's defaults to disabled but is settable in the cfg file.

Default off:
    // hideParticleEffects = false
to turn on change to: (note the removal of the two leading slashes as well as changing "false" to "true")
    hideParticleEffects = true

On 10/19/2015 at 4:29 AM, hab136 said:

cBzAQ5R.jpg

:D:D:D

Part Commander is a menu-style way to "click" on parts and would be useful in this situation.

Anyways, this is awesome! The cinematic/roleplay use is obvious, but also imagine this in a multiplayer BDarmory session :)

Dude, Where's my ship

Where's your ship, dude

Dude, Where's my ship

Where's your ship, dude

That's not helping Bill

• 1 year later...

@Darth Jeb I had attempted to update this when 1.3.0 first came out and got it to where it worked most of the time but would sometimes reappear for a single frame - like once or twice per second. This sort of ruined the effect and I have no idea where to start looking for a solution. I'll see if I can take another look after 1.3.1 drops (in the off chance that what ever broke it gets changed again) but don't hold your breath. Sorry the news isn't more promising.

2 minutes ago, wasml said:

@Darth Jeb I had attempted to update this when 1.3.0 first came out and got it to where it worked most of the time but would sometimes reappear for a single frame - like once or twice per second. This sort of ruined the effect and I have no idea where to start looking for a solution. I'll see if I can take another look after 1.3.1 drops (in the off chance that what ever broke it gets changed again) but don't hold your breath. Sorry the news isn't more promising.

Could you try recompiling for 1.2.2?

OK - found the flicker problem (dumb mistake on my part) and it looks like I might get this working in 1.2.2 and 1.3.0 but still need to fix the particle hiding option.  It may be the next weekend before I get either version up.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

@Dragonwarp This should be very light. In the 0.11 release the texture is half a meg while the pluging and model are around 10KB each. If you want to reduce it further you could reduce the resolution of the texture - just replace the current texture (CloakDev_UV2.dss) with a reduced version with the same name.

7 hours ago, wasml said:

@Dragonwarp This should be very light. In the 0.11 release the texture is half a meg while the pluging and model are around 10KB each. If you want to reduce it further you could reduce the resolution of the texture - just replace the current texture (CloakDev_UV2.dss) with a reduced version with the same name.

Ok, thanks. KSC: GET READY FOR INSANE CLOAKED ATTACK RUNS!

Edited by Dragonwarp

@DragonwarpThere's two folders in the zip - "Source" and "GameData". Ignore the "Source" folder and merge the "GameData" folder with the installed GameData. An alternate way would be to drag and drop the zip's "GameData\KSI" folder into your "GameData".

The structure your looking for is:

Your KSP folder

GameData

KSI (from the zip)

Squad

Note: if you have other mods installed their folders will be in there too along side Squad and KSI.

@wasml It would be interesting to see if we could get your cloaking device working in tandem with BDAc and the radar system that was recently implemented

It goes along perfectly with the shield system in DCK too ....

Spoiler

If you are up to working on BDAc compatibility let me know as the subject has been brought up before and I'm confident we could make it work

@DoctorDavinci I had taken a brief look at that some time ago (1.1.3 time frame?) but I didn't see an immediately obvious way to do it - not that there wasn't one. If you're comfortable with writing plugins you're welcome to use my code as a base to create a alternate to this and I'll be happy to answer any questions you might have (actually there's not much to the code). If you do I would ask that you name it something distinct from this one so people don't confuse them. If not I'm afraid I haven't had much time for KSP lately and while I'll try to keep this updated, adding new features isn't going to happen in the foreseeable future.

On 11/27/2017 at 10:39 PM, DoctorDavinci said:

@wasml It would be interesting to see if we could get your cloaking device working in tandem with BDAc and the radar system that was recently implemented

It goes along perfectly with the shield system in DCK too ....

Hide contents

If you are up to working on BDAc compatibility let me know as the subject has been brought up before and I'm confident we could make it work

Dont mean to take over your thread, but what mod is that?! I need it for mah insanitay.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.