My rockets will not stop spinning.

Okay, so you're not getting like ANY control of the ship here. The basic fins will only stabilize, the LTV-30 has no gimbal, and the SAS on the HECS probe doesn't have enough torque to really steer well.

If you're looking to break altitude records, just fly straight up. If you're looking to orbit, try tilting the rocket in the VAB.

1st attempt with a tilt had me blazing past that atmospheric mark with the red aero indicators inside the rocket following the thrust, no problem.

The tilt you see here is too much, maybe use half of this:

http://imgur.com/a/dUAC9

awesome ill have to give that a try

- - - Updated - - -

If you have the AV-T1, use it. It should provide plenty of control authority.

Best,

-Slashy

i tried what you suggested but did it with the new wing and.

mmytn9g.jpg

awesome, thank you :)

A less agressive starting tilt got my apoapsis up to 70+km just as I ran out of fuel. This is on a ballistic trajectory as if you were going to try to orbit.

Just shooting straight up should get you all kinds of altitude records!

The AV-R8 Winglet is my fav. That new one is also sort of just a fin too in that it doesn't move, iirc.

EKcRRHR.jpg

I should get the hang of this now in no time :)

Thanks again Klesh & Slash :D

There was a whole lot of folks struggling with their first take on the new aerodynamics when they first came out. The old methods hurt you more than help under these new conditions. Nothing that a little re-learning can't fix! Glad you're feeling good about it again. Enjoy!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.