[1.0.4] Submarine Pack - 0.0.1 Beta - Initial Beta Release Now Available for Download!

Fengist

The KSP Submarine Pack

… is no longer in development.  Thanks to the fact that Squad could give a damn about their modders, who make that game what it is, the Maritime Pack became busted, as of 1.0.5, in order for Squad to have stock aircraft pontoons.  InfiniteDice (the creator of Boat Parts, the only other naval pack for KSP) tried to warn me this would happen.  He gave up a long time ago after Squad busted his mod on more than one occasion.

You don’t need to beat me over the head with a stick twice, it only takes once.

I have learned my lesson when it comes to modding for KSP… don’t bother.  Squad’s only concern when they update their game is for their precious stock parts.  If you like stock parts, you’re in luck.  If you like mods, expect them to vanish just like this one did.

Thanks to everyone who supported this mod.  I had a blast while it lasted.  But now, thanks to Squad destroying 5 months worth of intense work, I could give a damn.

-Fengist

Edited by Fengist

Sweet! Now I just gotta come up with a plan for how to get it to Laythe :D

The stern has a 2.5m round attachment point and there are radial engine mounts. Although, once you dive below the water a Clamp Sr. is likely to fall right off, it will allow you to place this behemoth atop a rocket. See, I planned for this.

And good news, it won't take a huge rocket. At most a full sub should weigh in at less than 50 tons without ballast.

Edited by Fengist

The stern has a 2.5m round attachment point and there are radial engine mounts. Although, once you dive below the water a Clamp Sr. is likely to fall right off, it will allow you to place this behemoth atop a rocket. See, I planned for this.

And good news, it won't take a huge rocket. At most a full sub should weigh in at less than 50 tons without ballast.

Awesome :) Way to think ahead! Gonna strap this baby to the biggest launcher I have and send it on its way.

Awesome :) Way to think ahead! Gonna strap this baby to the biggest launcher I have and send it on its way.

I'd strongly recommend you do some testing on Kerbin first. This sub is nothing like anything you've flown in KSP before.

- - - Updated - - -

Begin the downloading...

- - - Updated - - -

And I've already found a problem. Parts which reuse textures had their model pointed to the wrong directory. If you do NOT have the Submarine Hull 5m part, download the latest update and reinstall. For this quick patch, you can copy over your previous install.

This is really cool! The Diesel/Electric-esque system is good for balance and the whole set works surprisingly well. Now, I have a question. Would it be possible to make a "aquaplane" part set, like the one in this video? I don't know how easily a the firespitter code would work with a plane that loses the ability to float when moving and gains it when slow.

Edited by MatttheCzar

This is really cool! The Diesel/Electric-esque system is good for balance and the whole set works surprisingly well. Now, I have a question. Would it be possible to make a "aquaplane" part set, like the one in this video? I don't know how easily a the firespitter code would work with a plane that loses the ability to float when moving and gains it when slow.

Like this?

Way ahead of you. That video is over a month old now. It's some modified stock parts and some Maritime parts. It's before I got the underwater camera solidified so I used KerbalCam. Eventually, that's what the cargo bay will hold.

Edited by Fengist

Cool! Is there a .Craft file or is it relatively simple to make?

I typically don't clutter up your hangar with my .craft files. I'd rather you have fun trying to put the puzzle together and I love seeing screenshots of the contraptions you guys create. But, because the sub is a bit more challenging that a boat, I wrote the basics of building a submarine and posted it on the website above. It'll tell you what parts you absolutely need and which are recommended.

Well done, hope I get a chance to try it soon. The yellow and white plus general styling reminds me of BobCat at his most prolific.

Thanks, I did use some of BC's mods years ago, but this time he really wasn't what inspired me. I put a link in the op to what did.

Are those legit? Like, have they actually built any? Because if so, that is very very cool.

Question regarding adding things to the sub. Obviously there's huge buoyancy issues for any non-sub part, but if we want to add science bits, how'll that work?

I realize that launching anything from subs is very far off if never

Are those legit? Like, have they actually built any? Because if so, that is very very cool.

No idea, but if they need a beta tester who gets a free copy... I'm available.

Question regarding adding things to the sub. Obviously there's huge buoyancy issues for any non-sub part, but if we want to add science bits, how'll that work?

I realize that launching anything from subs is very far off if never

The antenna implies that science will be forthcoming. I went ahead and included it because that is part of the plan. Although I'm not sure how much science you'll get out of it, I think there's only 2 biomes the sub could reach. But, before I get into that though, I wanted to see how everyone reacts to just the basic sub parts. I have some other ideas (where have you heard that before) that I'd like to incorporate, like a different bow with a raked or bulbous nose and 'personal watercraft' but that's all down the road a bit. Any launching will be other watercraft. I also have an working theory about launching that will mesh with sails, should I ever get those going, whereby the sub could be used to deploy buoys around the ocean to monitor wind directions (and possibly ocean currents???). As for things like missiles, that'll take a lot of coding that I'm not quite up to yet.

IF... you want to get into modding parts to work with the sub, you're of course, free to do so. My advice would be to look at the .cfg for the floodlight. You'll see the MODULE for Firespitter's Buoyancy code in there. Copy that module and paste it into any part you want to put on the sub. Depending on where you put it, you may need to change the buoyancy setting. 50 is max buoyancy and all of the hull parts are set to that. The Conning Tower is set to 50 as well because it's on the top of the sub. That's so that when you're submerged, the Conning Tower tends to keep the sub upright. Parts like the dive planes are set to 10 so that when you're on the surface, they help keep the sub from rolling over. Any other part, like the lights, will have a very small value for buoyancy. If you're unsure, you can set the debug to = true and when you launch, you can manually adjust the buoyancy of that part (yes, manually tweaking each part's buoyancy along with ballast is what it took to finally work it all out).

See, it's simple *cough*

Edited by Fengist

From what it seems the Deep Flight is handmade, and is not mass produced in any way. If they start making lower-spec ones with a shallower crush depth that are easier to construct I would definitely be interested.

From what it seems the Deep Flight is handmade, and is not mass produced in any way. If they start making lower-spec ones with a shallower crush depth that are easier to construct I would definitely be interested.

If you seriously have enough cash lying around that you'd 'definitely' consider buying even a lesser equipped one... allow me to direct you to my donate button. Buy me a yacht and I'll be that dood swimming beside you holding onto the wing. :D

Hey, I've been testing the sub (minus BB as instructed), but it crashes the game. A lot. Maybe I installed it wrong?

Ok, a few things I'll need:

Can you duplicate what's causing it to crash?

Do you have any way to upload your output_log.txt so I can take a look

Next, you should see a new directory under GameData called Maritime Testing (I forgot to change the path, that'll be in the next patch). Inside there you'll find a directory PluginData and in that, a file called MPLog.dat. Can you copy and post that.

Lemme get back to you in a bit with the output log. I also don't see the Maritime Testing directory (strengthening the case for me installing wrong).

Ok, just to make sure... inside the zip file you'll see a directory called SubmarinePack001. Inside that is a directory called GameData. Inside that you'll see 3 directories, Firespitter, Maritime Pack and Squad. Those 3 directories and their contents need to be copied inside your KSP GameData directory.

And for those who read this and think, 'what's he doing in the Squad parts directory?' Well, inside there is the only place I've found where you can place icons to be used in filters.

Edited by Fengist

I wasn't thinking stripped down like no surround sound in it, I was thinking like a paddleboat (pedalo if you are British) edition. :D. Also, I realized my install has Kerbal Joint Reinforcement in it. When I removed it, the mod was broken. Parts broke apart simply by loading, which didn't happen with vanilla Maritime Pack. Is that just the problem with such big parts?

Edited by MatttheCzar

I wasnt thinking stipped down like no surround sound it it, I was thinking like a paddleboat (pedalo if you are British) edition. :D. Also, I realized my install has Kerbal Joint Reinforcement on it. When I removed it, the mod was broken. Parts broke apart simply by loading, which didn't happen with vanilla Maritime Pack. Is that just the problem with such big parts?

Damn, and I thot I had a sugardaddy on the hook.

Here's my guess...

If you had a vessel already assembled or if you had a 'saved' one that you tried to load that you created when KJR was installed, it may have left 'persistent' values in the files for those vessels. One trick I've learned while modding, if you make changes to a part, completely replace the part on the vessel. When KSP saves a ship to a .craft file or to the save game file, it stores variables from all of the mods affecting it. If you later, uninstall that mod and try to reload the ship, those variables are still there.

I'm thinking when you tried to load the vessel after uninstalling KJR, you essentially removed all the glue holding it together.

With KJR removed, try rebuilding your sub from scratch and see if it still falls apart.

But, I know of no reason why it shouldn't work with KJR installed.

Which reminds me, I really do need to write some instructions on double strutting things. You don't need a mod like KJR to make things super strong.

Edited by Fengist

Ok, just to make sure... inside the zip file you'll see a directory called SubmarinePack001. Inside that is a directory called GameData. Inside that you'll see 3 directories, Firespitter, Maritime Pack and Squad. Those 3 directories and their contents need to be copied inside your KSP GameData directory.

And for those who read this and think, 'what's he doing in the Squad parts directory?' Well, inside there is the only place I've found where you can place icons to be used in filters.

Yeah, did that ok. I merged the Maritime pack with the sub pack though...

I've noticed that this doesn't work properly for me. My list of mods is E.V.E. (With Avg's cloud pack), the Firespitter plugin included with this pack, KJR, KerbinSide, the Sub Pack itself, Ship Effects, and Stock Bugfix modules. When I Hyperedit the sub I built to the water, I get a message on the screen saying "Time Warp Claw Bug, Quicksave and Restart Now!" (presumably from stock bufix modules), despite not having any non-submarine pack mods on the craft and not using time warp. Next, the ingame log is spammed with a message saying the file MPlog.dat (or something like that) in the PluginData folder cannot be found, and if I try to revert the game the game locks up, the revert menu is broken, and when I opened my ingame log (that still worked, but I couldn't scroll through it) there were a bunch of Null Reference errors. I tried to put the log in a spoiler here, but due to the sheer amount of spam, it was 850k-900k+ characters, and my web browser freaked out and when it finally loaded I couldn't post because the character limit on the forums is 100k characters.