[1.0.4] Submarine Pack - 0.0.1 Beta - Initial Beta Release Now Available for Download!

Fengist

Those planes are on backwards :/

Also I did not uninstall the firespitter.dll

By the way, some of the things in my list are actually things you should change, not necessarily bugs

And how do you figure that? People are great at breaking stuff

Exactly why this is a beta. I want you to break it. The sooner I find out when and where it breaks, the sooner I can set this on the shelf and move on to other crazy endeavors.

And yes, I looked over your suggestions. The AutoBuoy works extremely well, all things considered. The AutoKeel is not the greatest, you'll need to get close manually before you use it. It took me a week of running calculations to come up with anything that resembled automated keel levelling. Unfortunately, though it may look like a simple lever and easy to balance you can trust me, it is not.

As for the dive planes and SAS... Remember, this is a submarine, not a jet aircraft. It should not turn on a dime. And you'll want to run a lot of the time with SAS off. It tends to do some serious overcorrecting. I want this thing to be somewhat of a challenge to operate. I want you to have to interact, think, plan. If I made it easy to use, there'd be no fun in using it.

Ok, if you didn't remove Firespitter, did you go through the parts in the SPH and manually remove all the buoyancy???? They were all at 0. Basic rule of thumb for the parts buoyancy, every part should be at 50 buoyancy except, dive planes 10, lights 0, engine pods 10 for small and 20 for large.

Once I changed the root part, put some wheels on it to keep it from smacking into the runway and reset all the buoyancy... and flipped the rear dive planes around... I launched, dove, started up all the animations, ran the computer... everything appeared to work just fine.

New Patch Uploaded!

This patch fixes the fact that you can make the Conning Tower the first/root part. IF you keep in mind that it should NOT be the root part, then you won't need to patch just yet. Once we're done blowing up submarines, I'll put out a final beta and change the version numbers.

If you do patch and have the pack already installed, simply overwrite the existing install, no need to delete.

Edited by Fengist

I know you said it would be pretty ridiculous to have a launch bay, but I want it anyway. If not for launching rockets, maybe for launching some sort of smaller minisub

Right... Understood. What you're thinking of is why I initially created the cargo bay. And I really can't go into details just yet. But I will say this much. What you seek is beyond the drawing board and... it's not me doing it. Remember, this is the very, very early beta. There are more things planned down the road. What you're getting now is just the basic sub. But thanks for the ideas.

- - - Updated - - -

yeah I did set it all to zero. One guy I talk to said to do that. That said when everything was still set at stock buoyancy it still acted weird

Ah hah! Now I begin to understand. You got a submarine from a naval engineer. You thought it was busted so you then went to a lawn mower mechanic who told you how to 'fix' it. Gotcha.

And your definition of weird may just be 'as intended'... hummmmm.

Edited by Fengist

Right... Understood. What you're thinking of is why I initially created the cargo bay. And I really can't go into details just yet. But I will say this much. What you seek is beyond the drawing board and... it's not me doing it. Remember, this is the very, very early beta. There are more things planned down the road. What you're getting now is just the basic sub. But thanks for the ideas.

- - - Updated - - -

Ah hah! Now I begin to understand. You got a submarine from a naval engineer. You thought it was busted so you then went to a lawn mower mechanic who told you how to 'fix' it. Gotcha.

And your definition of weird may just be 'as intended'... hummmmm.

Well I got it to no longer spontaneous deconstruct but now the dive computer won't toggle auto buoyancy or Auto keel.

The under water camera also seems to not work properly

Edited by War Eagle 1

I dont have any mods installed except for Hyperedit and of course your mod, I think it might have been the fact that I had the Bridge as the root part XD

When I made the Hull section the root part it stopped floating off :)

Ok, without being able to duplicate that, it'll be near impossible for me to fix. But I do know what you're experiencing. I've had the same thing happen when trying to modify the asteroid claw.

- - - Updated - - -

Well I got it to no longer spontaneous deconstruct but now the dive computer won't toggle auto buoyancy or Auto keel.

The under water camera also seems to not work properly

You may not see the Buoy or Keel working. There is no indicator. Just the fact that your compressed water will change volume (buoy) and will move between the two tanks (keel).

And no working properly doesn't describe the problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Ive been talking with Count A and he is not experiencing the problems I have.

Is it possible this mod is not macbook friendly?

Nope, the mod shouldn't really care.

- - - Updated - - -

Another 2 things I'd like to see is Sonar and the Caterpillar drive from The Hunt for Red October

I've already toyed around with sonar and... it's on hold. And why would you need a silent drive? No one is looking for you.

Do you think it would be possible to add a config that allowed Kerbals to sink, and to allow the camera to move instead of staying fixed under the water?

I know it's not only possible, it's been done. Both.

InfiniteDice has code in Boat Parts (which doesn't work any more) to allow Kerbals to swim. He was working on updating his mod but he's got a lot going on right now. I have no idea when he'll get to it.

And if you get the mod KerbalCam, it detaches from the vessel. Just make sure you have the camera on the sub disabled before you use it.

\

You may not see the Buoy or Keel working. There is no indicator. Just the fact that your compressed water will change volume (buoy) and will move between the two tanks (keel).

- - - Updated - - -\

Thats just it. the volume does not change between the tanks.

Thats just it. the volume does not change between the tanks.

The only thing that would keep them from working is if you have more or less than 2 compressed water tanks. It only works when you have exactly 2.

Ok, without being able to duplicate that, it'll be near impossible for me to fix. But I do know what you're experiencing. I've had the same thing happen when trying to modify the asteroid claw.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Nope, the mod shouldn't really care.

- - - Updated - - -

I've already toyed around with sonar and... it's on hold. And why would you need a silent drive? No one is looking for you.

Because it would be awesome, that's why. Also when you get sonar working, you won't have people coming to you asking "GIVE ME CATERPILLAR" and to be honest I don't see it being that hard to produce compared to the other stuff you have to work on for this mod :P

Because it would be awesome, that's why. Also when you get sonar working, you won't have people coming to you asking "GIVE ME CATERPILLAR" and to be honest I don't see it being that hard to produce compared to the other stuff you have to work on for this mod :P

Look up caterpillar drive. It would be extremely boring and even more power hungry. This is a civilian sub and there are no enemies to hide from.

Look up caterpillar drive. It would be extremely boring and even more power hungry. This is a civilian sub and there are no enemies to hide from.

If it's silent, it won't bother the sea life

Also could you look into adding a sort of fog that appears once you go below 200m? Around 200m in real life the sun stops shinning so I thought it might be more realistic if you did that

If it's silent, it won't bother the sea life

Also could you look into adding a sort of fog that appears once you go below 200m? Around 200m in real life the sun stops shinning so I thought it might be more realistic if you did that

Whut sea life?

And there is fog already on the underwater camera. The problem is, Squad uses multiple cameras to show the terrain. If you get fog density above a certain level, the spot where those cameras start and stop become real obvious.

Edited by Fengist

Whut sea life?

And there is fog already on the underwater camera. The problem is, Squad uses multiple cameras to show the terrain. If you get fog density above a certain level, the spot where those cameras start and stop become real obvious.

Ah, I see.

And who cares if I use your subs as weapons. Fun Fact: Ever since ships started sailing, they've been plaguing animals such as whales with noise pollution, said pollution has caused what used to be a world wide communication system for whales now barely works over 200 miles

hey if your open to suggestions can you make a more milatary non styrofoam one, so if i stick a nas http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/131605-WIP-1-0-4-NAS-Naval-Artillery-System-0-2-2-(a-BDArmory-Addon)-Old-Empires-Oct-8

on it it wont flip, also when and if you do it can you make it similar to a whisky class sub

https://www.google.com/search?q=whisky+class+sub&es_sm=93&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAWoVChMImNGUzaDfyAIVQ-EmCh33Gwdk&biw=1242&bih=585

but any military like sub will do, thanks

Edited by G.man

I fokking love this mod :D

here is mine submarine

http://kerbalx.com/gerula/U-Boat

p.s: can you also add this sound to submarine ?

LOL, glad you like it. As for the sonar. I've already done some testing. Unity has this ability called raycasting. Essentially a beam is shot out from any point and toward any direction. If it hits something, you can get the distance. There's also sphere casting. Instead of a beam, a ball of x diameter is sent flying outward. So, sending out a 'ping' is possible. And I've tried it. Here's the problem. Water is considered a 'solid' object. In tests thus far, I've sent out spheres and got a ping back 1,000m out. And it's terrain. And I know for a fact there was nothing there except... water. Now, I could have been sending the pings out the wrong direction or not had the filters set correctly. I'm not done experimenting and, for civilian purposes, I'd love to see at least a bottom scanning sonar. But, that's some pretty involved stuff (ala scansat).

Seems kinda pointless to add the sound without the results so for now, I'll say maybe.

- - - Updated - - -

hey if your open to suggestions can you make a more milatary non styrofoam one, so if i stick a nas http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/131605-WIP-1-0-4-NAS-Naval-Artillery-System-0-2-2-(a-BDArmory-Addon)-Old-Empires-Oct-8

on it it wont flip, also when and if you do it can you make it similar to a whisky class sub

https://www.google.com/search?q=whisky+class+sub&es_sm=93&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAWoVChMImNGUzaDfyAIVQ-EmCh33Gwdk&biw=1242&bih=585

but any military like sub will do, thanks

I don't do military, only civilian vessels. But, the non-styrofoam hulls are in the works but there's a lot of work to be done first.

I would like the itty bitty submarines they use to research the deep sea. Also having some modular metal hulls for me to use and a different tower I can build nuclear/combat submarines out of. Also. Maybe teaming with kerbinside to make some undersea reefs n stuff?