[1.0.4] Submarine Pack - 0.0.1 Beta - Initial Beta Release Now Available for Download!

Fengist

I would like the itty bitty submarines they use to research the deep sea. Also having some modular metal hulls for me to use and a different tower I can build nuclear/combat submarines out of. Also. Maybe teaming with kerbinside to make some undersea reefs n stuff?

Nope, don't do military. Small subs... working on it.

Upcoming changes to buoyancy.

In the dev notes yesterday Squad announced that buoyancy was being 'fixed' in the next release. I've spoken to the dev who's working on that and for the moment, I'm not anticipating it having an effect on this pack but who knows. One thing I was told was that the underwater camera will be 'fixed' in the next release. But, that same dev was unaware of the fact that you could physically pass through the terrain at depths of 1,000m+. So, I won't be doing any major updates or releasing this out on Kerbalstuff or Curse until I can assess the damage about to be done.

LOL, glad you like it. As for the sonar. I've already done some testing. Unity has this ability called raycasting. Essentially a beam is shot out from any point and toward any direction. If it hits something, you can get the distance. There's also sphere casting. Instead of a beam, a ball of x diameter is sent flying outward. So, sending out a 'ping' is possible. And I've tried it. Here's the problem. Water is considered a 'solid' object. In tests thus far, I've sent out spheres and got a ping back 1,000m out. And it's terrain. And I know for a fact there was nothing there except... water. Now, I could have been sending the pings out the wrong direction or not had the filters set correctly. I'm not done experimenting and, for civilian purposes, I'd love to see at least a bottom scanning sonar. But, that's some pretty involved stuff (ala scansat).

Seems kinda pointless to add the sound without the results so for now, I'll say maybe.

I see, looks so complicated, but from what I saw in movies, the sound from those engines should be heart it less underwater so, you just shrink the engines sound and record over it the sonar sound. I'm not good with kerbglish, hope you understand me :D

Two things I wish to see in this mod, one is an cargo bay with opening up so I can fill it with rockets for which you must build their bodies...at least for a torpedoes that can be used as underwater drones, or we will just fill it with BD Armory warheads so, can you do all this stuff or I should have written all this near Christmas ? :)

...not to mention about some inflatable underwater base, and when at a push of a button, will just go down till will reach a bottom, but let's keep this for future requirements list :P

NathanKell said the aquatic model would use the same drag cube model as new aero, so if bouyancy is going to be fixed, underwater cargo bays should now work? Items won't generate the massive buoyancy and drag they currently do?

NathanKell said the aquatic model would use the same drag cube model as new aero, so if bouyancy is going to be fixed, underwater cargo bays should now work? Items won't generate the massive buoyancy and drag they currently do?

I've exchanged a couple of PM's with him and right now, he's not being terribly specific about the changes. It would seem we're all in the same erm... boat. Wait and see.

Fengist, i have a request... TORPEDO TUBES and Ballistic missile silos like this https://chivethebrigade.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/photo-day-06_17_13-920-0.jpg?quality=100&strip=info

Not possible. God I need to make a faq. Here's a response to a similar question about boats. The answers apply to this as well with one exception. Every submarine part is currently under the influence of Firespitter's buoyancy and until the next patch comes out and I see what effects it's going to have, that's not going to change. That means, every torpedo, missile, engine, nosecone, canard, etc. would also have to have Firespitter's buoyancy code added otherwise it would cause the sub to float extremely well and be extremely slow due to drag.

Test this out by slapping a few stock parts on a submarine and try to dive and then you may understand why.

Not possible. God I need to make a faq. Here's a response to a similar question about boats. The answers apply to this as well with one exception. Every submarine part is currently under the influence of Firespitter's buoyancy and until the next patch comes out and I see what effects it's going to have, that's not going to change. That means, every torpedo, missile, engine, nosecone, canard, etc. would also have to have Firespitter's buoyancy code added otherwise it would cause the sub to float extremely well and be extremely slow due to drag.

Test this out by slapping a few stock parts on a submarine and try to dive and then you may understand why.

Oh ok thanks for the reply :P

Can you fire missile under the water in this game ?

Yes, if you can get one down there.

I did it, wee :D

I read what you said above and now all I hope is that you will make a new cargo bay with openings up and down because will be far more easy to create a launching missile system then I did in that video trying to launch then using side opening and this pushed me to add robotic arms and stuff..pls!? :D

I did it, wee :D

I read what you said above and now all I hope is that you will make a new cargo bay with openings up and down because will be far more easy to create a launching missile system then I did in that video trying to launch then using side opening and this pushed me to add robotic arms and stuff..pls!? :D

Ok, since you put that much effort into it....

I already have a part built with side-by-side 2.2 meter round vertical openings (with animated doors similar to what Fatal linked to). The depth of those holes is 4.1m. The original concept was to eventually launch scientific probes once I have sails working. But, once we get beyond beta testing, and once 1.0.5 comes out and I see how horribly it screws up buoyancy, I'll finish up that part and add it into the pack. But, I make no guarantees how well it'll work if you slap a dozen on there and try to dive with stock flotation.

Good enuf?

Ok, since you put that much effort into it....

I already have a part built with side-by-side 2.2 meter round vertical openings (with animated doors similar to what Fatal linked to). The depth of those holes is 4.1m. The original concept was to eventually launch scientific probes once I have sails working. But, once we get beyond beta testing, and once 1.0.5 comes out and I see how horribly it screws up buoyancy, I'll finish up that part and add it into the pack. But, I make no guarantees how well it'll work if you slap a dozen on there and try to dive with stock flotation

Good enuf?

oh my o my, and the size...its great. I wish to test it like...yesterday, that bad I want it :D

The original concept was to eventually launch scientific probes once I have sails working.

Ja,ja, scientific probes...filled with nukes and rockets, because kerbals scientists needs to know when how much is too much!

Cant wait to see it.

oh my o my, and the size...its great. I wish to test it like...yesterday, that bad I want it :D

Ja,ja, scientific probes...filled with nukes and rockets, because kerbals scientists needs to know when how much is too much!

Cant wait to see it.

LOL, let's see how bad the next update is going to screw with this mod before I go overboard on part creation.

Download Numbers Adjustment

The number of downloads may significantly change very soon. Please read this post to find out why.

is it possible to have a part that, with code, just not interact with water, at all?

is it possible to have a part that, with code, just not interact with water, at all?

Oh, I can do that. But what parts are you going to make the missiles out of?

Well, let me rephrase that. Until the next patch comes out, it is possible to completely remove all buoyancy and create your own and it's possible to remove all drag and set your own values. The way Better Buoyancy works is, it uses Module Manager to add it's partmodule to every single part, then does the above.

And I was working on a real buoyancy, until the notice that it's being 'fixed' came out.

Edited by Fengist

building ships with your mod its so easy and cool

PkHZ0Jj.png

one last request and you won't see me posting here anymore as you can see my "Join Date Aug 2012" and have only 70 post, 10 of them only here haha

so, you transform one of those empty hulls into a cargo bay for....so I can fill with rockets what else !? :D

building ships with your mod its so easy and cool

http://i.imgur.com/PkHZ0Jj.png

one last request and you won't see me posting here anymore as you can see my "Join Date Aug 2012" and have only 70 post, 10 of them only here haha

so, you transform one of those empty hulls into a cargo bay for....so I can fill with rockets what else !? :D

I can't. Water is inside the hulls. If you mount rockets inside the hulls, it causes drag.

I sure hope so. I had never had any desire to do any nautical nonsense on Kerbin before, what with space and all. Now that they have introduced the hydrodynamics, suddenly the prospect of sending a submarine to an alien world seems not only awesome, but actually possible

Concur. Also, here's a random idea I had for bouyancy management for a sub:

intakeAir+ EC->ore (ore is the densest resource available IIRC)

It still baffles me as to how we manage to get intakeAir underwater. O_o

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/2/2015, 1:06:46, Commander Jebidiah said:

So where is the download? Whenever I click on the Blue box saying "Submarine Pack Download" it takes me to Kerbaltopia where I can't find any downloads.  

I believe the link broke in the forum migration.

We'll probably have to keep waiting till the Fengist updates the link and/or mod.