Warped Stars

0111narwhalz

• 1 month later...

You thought this day would never come! I did make it a bit long, but...it's to be expected.

NOTICE:

Warped Stars has been wiped 'til the implications of the new ToS and EULA become clear. If you wish to read it, enquire on the IRC channel, available at webchat.freenode.net #kerbaeadastra

Thank you,
0111narwhalz

Edited by 0111narwhalz

:)

It's back! And it keeps getting better. 

I liked the interaction between Jeb and Bill, the description of the machining centre but mostly I like that you're writing a serious story about a physics glitch. :) Long may it continue.

• 2 weeks later...

Two in one month?! That hasn't happened since October!
As always, reports of typos and borked formatting are appreciated.

NOTICE:

Warped Stars has been wiped 'til the implications of the new ToS and EULA become clear. If you wish to read it, enquire on the IRC channel, available at webchat.freenode.net #kerbaeadastra

Thank you,
0111narwhalz

Edited by 0111narwhalz

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm like a fig tree. Nothing for months, then suddenly everything at once.

NOTICE:

Warped Stars has been wiped 'til the implications of the new ToS and EULA become clear. If you wish to read it, enquire on the IRC channel, available at webchat.freenode.net #kerbaeadastra

Thank you,
0111narwhalz

Edited by 0111narwhalz

Yay - it's back! And it keeps getting better!

I enjoyed the view from Mission Control and Joe's slide rule made me laugh, as did Jeb's speeding tickets. :)

• 3 months later...

NOTICE:

Thank you,
0111narwhalz

Edited by 0111narwhalz

• 3 months later...

NOTICE:

Thank you,
0111narwhalz

Edited by 0111narwhalz

From Chapter 8:

"We need the advance to develop systems to combat the extreme accelerations. Bill has a candidate material family which may make for an immersion gel"

And also the prologue:

"most of which were immersed in a jellylike g-absorbing fluid."

It's supposed to allow organic matter to survive the sixteen gees kraken drives pulled back in their prime.

• 5 months later...

Many apologies for the long wait. I could make excuses (like KSPNameGen and the Kerbae ad Astra wiki), but you probably expect it of me by now.
But at least YAMR's next chapter will be around sooner...

NOTICE:

Thank you,
0111narwhalz

Edited by 0111narwhalz

3 hours ago, superstrijder15 said:

What are those pre-filght checks! FIDO, Surgeon, EECOM?!

Most, if not all, of those are the same as those in the Apollo preflight. FIDO is "flight dynamics officer," Surgeon is the medical advisor (obviously not aboard the vessel), and EECOM is "electrical, environmental, and consumables manager." I trimmed some, because we're not actually going to the Mün.

3 hours ago, superstrijder15 said:

And something went wrong with the krakendrive as well, did he turn it off or something?

Kraken drives were notoriously unreliable soon after their conception. They broke, seemingly at random. In this case, the kraken drive simply ate itself after braking the capsule.

I'm going to add some more detail to the drive failure scene. It's not clear enough. Check back in a few hours.

On 5/6/2017 at 9:33 AM, 0111narwhalz said:

Kraken drives were notoriously unreliable soon after their conception. They broke, seemingly at random. In this case, the kraken drive simply ate itself after braking the capsule.

It's almost like you're playing around with mysterious, barely-understood forces of nature here... who could have imagined?  :wink:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.