Depreciated SVE -Do Not Enter-

Nhawks17

12 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Is it normal for the aurora effects to only appear on the day side of Kerbin?

screenshot45.png

3 hours ago, Shadriss said:

It is normal, though certainly not desirable. I'm hoping it gets addressed at some point, but there's other issues he's addressing atm, if I get the gist of things right.

3 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Thanks for confirming, wasn't sure if I had borked something. :) 

Not much I can do about it now. There is no functionality for actual auroras atm. The aurora layer is just like any other cloud layer which is subject to going dark on the dark side of the planet. Once rbray adds a "module" for aurora's or lets you toggle if it's dark or not on the dark side then it'll be corrected :D

9 minutes ago, techstepman said:

im playing on 1.1 and i think the clouds dont look very high res, actually they dont look like ultra. I did install the ultra one. Is anyone experiencing anything like that? i got lots of ksp installations so im gonna try it on a vanilla one when i get home. i guess i should also post a few pics. im kinda wondering if i expect too much but i have seen some amazing pics from people. im also using gemfx and reshade so i would expect to get even better sharpness on the textures.

5 minutes ago, sDaZe said:

The only difference between res's is the textures of the clouds, ultra res is either 4k or 8k I forget. If you look closely you'll notice the difference.

Ultra is 8k textures. @techstepman can you post some pictures of what you think isn't high res?

Edited by Nhawks17

i'll try to get some pics and post...i dont know , maybe its just me. I havent checked everything out yet but for a few days i'll be away from my pc so i thought it doesnt hurt to ask. theres one thing i havent checked out yet and its a pseudo DoF that gemfx has and maybe its that, that causes the clouds not to look as good as i would expect. As soon as i get my hands on my pc i'll check everything out.

Edited by techstepman

1 hour ago, Cooly568 said:

Guessing you don't just get a supported x64 version either, uh, any other cloud packs for 1.0.5 x64? Only one I've seen working in the slightest is AVE Reborn. (Or is it the release of EVE or something that doesn't work?)

I have a supported x64 version.  I use 1.1.  1.0.5 x64 just isn't and never was supported.  If you want visual enhancements 1.1 is the way to go

2 hours ago, techstepman said:

i'll try to get some pics and post...i dont know , maybe its just me. I havent checked everything out yet but for a few days i'll be away from my pc so i thought it doesnt hurt to ask. theres one thing i havent checked out yet and its a pseudo DoF that gemfx has and maybe its that, that causes the clouds not to look as good as i would expect. As soon as i get my hands on my pc i'll check everything out.

Just to help are you talking about the clouds you see as you fly an aeroplane through them, or the clouds you see from low orbit?

Because the higher resolutions only effects the clouds you see when flying through them. (Of course I could totally be wrong here but as far as I'm aware that is the case)

I personally would love to see higher resolution cloud "maps" (I don't know what those are actually called) because from really low orbits you definitely see sort of jaggy stuff, especially on large resales like 64K, out at higher orbits it looks fine

Of course this may not be an option as it may come with a huge performance impact or EVE might only be set up to handle a certain resolution range for those particular files, or maybe it's just really hard to get good super high res images for that use.

I haven't been on the forums for over a year and almost playing no KSP during this time either. Now I want to start again at least play a bit (RL still has me in a tight grip and time for KSP is scarce) I always admired @pingopete's work onRSS Visual Enhancement and followed it in the early days (shortly before becoming notoriously absent from the forums :D )His mod is amazing but I now have no time to really get into RSS so it is really amazing that I can have a stock solar system that is as beautiful as @pingopete RVE, all thanks to your outstanding port. Have my rep ..or like or whatever :D (so much has changed in the forums since I was last here. Was quite confused at first :D )

Edited by DasBananenbrot

5 minutes ago, DasBananenbrot said:

I haven't been on the forums for over a year and almost playing KSP during this time either. Now I want to start again at least play a bit (RL still has me in a tight grip and time for KSP is scarce) I always admired @pingopete's work on 

and followed it in the early days (shortly before becoming notoriously absent from the forums :D )His mod is amazing but I now have no time to really get into RSS so it is really amazing that I can have a stock solar system that is as beautiful as @pingopete RVE, all thanks to your outstanding port. Have my rep ..or like or whatever :D (so much has changed in the forums since I was last here. Was quite confused at first :D )

Thanks man, good to see you back! 

4 hours ago, Akira_R said:

Just to help are you talking about the clouds you see as you fly an aeroplane through them, or the clouds you see from low orbit?

Because the higher resolutions only effects the clouds you see when flying through them. (Of course I could totally be wrong here but as far as I'm aware that is the case)

I personally would love to see higher resolution cloud "maps" (I don't know what those are actually called) because from really low orbits you definitely see sort of jaggy stuff, especially on large resales like 64K, out at higher orbits it looks fine

Of course this may not be an option as it may come with a huge performance impact or EVE might only be set up to handle a certain resolution range for those particular files, or maybe it's just really hard to get good super high res images for that use.

oh dang! I was talking about the clouds on low orbit , I assumed that ultra resolution affected the orbit clouds , cause you know , its a space game. So nothings wrong... I was kind of wondering if something happened to the textures when they got loaded or whatever (seen it happen in skyrim for example). Its just that I see other ppls posts in the awesome pic thread and im like thinking "how did this guy get the clouds to look so sexy?". So yeah that was it. No point in pursuing this any longer , the game has its limitations. So false alarm guys sorry. the clouds I see flying a plane through them are the best clouds ive seen ( Nhawks17 you the man!) since EVE first came out , so they are the 8k ones. I guess that makes sense cause I did wonder how come these clouds are so good. So those nice pics I see are basicly from med to high orbits with the use of camera  tools , and I should know cause those camera tools really can help get some awesome pics. Dang I got pawned by the pics like a rookie. I assume the same goes for RVEs clouds? they always look so sexy in the pics .

Edited by techstepman

11 minutes ago, techstepman said:

oh dang! I was talking about the clouds on low orbit , I assumed that ultra resolution affected the orbit clouds , cause you know , its a space game. So nothings wrong... I was kind of wondering if something happened to the textures when they got loaded or whatever (seen it happen in skyrim for example). Its just that I see other ppls posts in the awesome pic thread and im like thinking "how did this guy get the clouds to look so sexy?". So yeah that was it. No point in pursuing this any longer , the game has its limitations. So false alarm guys sorry. the clouds I see flying a plane through them are the best clouds ive seen ( Nhawks17 you the man!) since EVE first came out , so they are the 8k ones. I guess that makes sense cause I did wonder how come these clouds are so good. So those nice pics I see are basicly from med to high orbits with the use of camera  tools , and I should know cause those camera tools really can help get some awesome pics. Dang I got pawned by the pics like a rookie. I assume the same goes for RVEs clouds? they always look so sexy in the pics .

lol well maybe I'm doing something wrong as well, but that has always been my experience.

26 minutes ago, techstepman said:

I'd still like to see a picture... They shouldn't look low res in low orbit either

http://imgur.com/a/gZD1c

so here they are. (how do I post the album?)

are city lights and city blocks supposed to look so bad when in the atmosphere? ive seen RVE pics where you can clearly see the city blocks and the streets and stuff. Also aren't clouds in the atmosphere a little too bright? though I prefer them from the old eve grey ones.

Edited by techstepman

1 hour ago, techstepman said:

http://imgur.com/a/gZD1c

so here they are. (how do I post the album?)

are city lights and city blocks supposed to look so bad when in the atmosphere? ive seen RVE pics where you can clearly see the city blocks and the streets and stuff. Also aren't clouds in the atmosphere a little too bright? though I prefer them from the old eve grey ones.

1. You are using the latest version correct?

2. There definitely seems to be something up, test it with only SVE and see if it still looks like this

3. Your city lights also do seem off as well. I'll have to look into this. 

4. Double check that you are running the UR version

yes good idea. i'll delete and reinstall everything just to be sure and i'll also try a vanilla only game with this and see what happens. i'll probably do it tonight.

edit nope I get the same results even on the vanilla install with no other mod but this one. absolutely no difference between my modded ksp and my vanilla ksp with only SVE.

now this doesn't make any sense. Has anyone else downloaded the UR lately? could there be some missing files or wrong files? or is it just me? ive got a amd radeon r9 390 with 8gbs or vram. windows 7 64 bit , 16 gb of ram and playing ksp 1.1 64 bit.

i'll delete the game and reinstall it and check again.

Edited by techstepman

Up until two posts ago, when I looked at your album I saw what I expected to see... I didn't think there was anything wrong with my install.

Now, I have to wonder, since Nhawks just said something was up. Uh... what? Looks exaclty like what I have, unless I'm missing something. Maybe I don't know exactly what it is that's wrong... there's so many pictures in that album, I can't pinpoint exactly what I'm looking for.

11 hours ago, Nhawks17 said:

1. You are using the latest version correct?

2. There definitely seems to be something up, test it with only SVE and see if it still looks like this

3. Your city lights also do seem off as well. I'll have to look into this. 

4. Double check that you are running the UR version

ok so I installed the mod that I just downloaded and the results were exactly the same.

also installed it on a new vanilla ksp, result the same

also deleted everything and re downloaded game from steam and installed SVE , result the same.

updated gpu drivers and stuff , crossed my fingers (both hands and feet) and still the same.

is it safe to assume that theres something wrong with the files? I gotta go to my job now so when I get home I'll install the high medium and low res versions to see if I get different results.

I just thought of something else. The textures on the vanilla parts look a little low res. could we be dealing with a ksp bug here? all of my graphics settings are maxed. Or maybe an EVE bug

Shadriss randm's pic a few posts up shows how this should look like. just look at the right side of the pic you can clearly see a city there. in my game I can barely see a blurry smudge.

Edited by techstepman

2 hours ago, Shadriss said:

Up until two posts ago, when I looked at your album I saw what I expected to see... I didn't think there was anything wrong with my install.

Now, I have to wonder, since Nhawks just said something was up. Uh... what? Looks exaclty like what I have, unless I'm missing something. Maybe I don't know exactly what it is that's wrong... there's so many pictures in that album, I can't pinpoint exactly what I'm looking for.

Right? Now I'm confused too lol

I have a huge performance hit on 1.1. Mainly when looking (or getting into) volumetric clouds FPS drops from 30+ to 7. This starts once the view is just over the horizon. Removing Scatterer doesn't help. Tried all quality variants with no much difference.

Nothing like that happens when using plain EVE so I tend to blame volumetric clouds.

KSP x64, game settings maxed out (except for lighting and shadow cascades). Core i5, 8Gb Ram, GeForce GTX550Ti w.1024Mb RAM.

What could be done to improve performance?

8 minutes ago, Ser said:

I have a huge performance hit on 1.1. Mainly when looking (or getting into) volumetric clouds FPS drops from 30+ to 7. This starts once the view is just over the horizon. Removing Scatterer doesn't help. Tried all quality variants with no much difference.

Nothing like that happens when using plain EVE so I tend to blame volumetric clouds.

KSP x64, game settings maxed out (except for lighting and shadow cascades). Core i5, 8Gb Ram, GeForce GTX550Ti w.1024Mb RAM.

What could be done to improve performance?

I'm working on a few small tweaks that may help performance.

So I have been trying this mod a little and I am running into two problems. The first one is probably scatterer related and is the atmosphere sometimes "detaching" from the camera, so you can see it as an overlay over other objects its not supposed to sit on, and it also seems to not take the FOV from the camera and instead have a default fov at which it sticks. again I suspect thats a problem of scatterer and not this mod, but I am just saying it in case.

My other problem is that I assume that instead of replacing the effects from EVE it simply displays both, so I have the blotchy city lights and clouds from the original mod next to the ones from SVE, at least thats what it looks like to me. I looked through this thread and didnt really see that problem being mentioned yet.

I am attaching an imgur album to show the problem.

If there is anything else I can do to help solve this let me know :)

EDIT: I installed with CKAN btw

Edited by Illation

On 4/24/2016 at 11:51 PM, Shadriss said:

@ctbram: DO NOT USE CKAN for this mod. It's plastered all over this page, and the two before it. Nhawks didn't create the netkan file for it, it's set up entirely incorrectly, and will only set you up for failure. I will post here, for whit I hope (but doubt) will be the last time, the proper installation method:

1) Download SVE through the Github Link, and the Github link ONLY.

2) Ensure all instances of StockVisualEnhancements and EnhancedVisualEnhancements are removed from your Gamedata folder.

3) Install everything from the downloaded SVE version into Gamedata.

To clarify, despite what the OP says at the moment, do NOT use Kopernicus (for this, anyhow), as it is not needed by the current version. Do NOT download and install EVE seperately - SVE includes a bundled version that has the correct files and setups needed for SVE.

I'm not meaning to come off abrasive, but seriously, guys - doesn't anyone READ the thread before they install something?

On 4/24/2016 at 9:09 AM, Shadriss said:

Another example of people not reading. I mentioned on at least three occasions that this was done by someone other than @Nhawks17. As much as I like CKAN, the single biggest issue (or strength, depending on how you look at it, I suppose), is that anyone can write a netkan file for a mod and have CKAN pick up the mod. The author has only limited control over this. In most cases, this isn't a huge problem... but here, with four versions to pick from and with very specific installation instructions that are not the norm, it is. I appreciate your frustration... I like pretties in my game too, and the easier to install, the better... but in this case no blame can or should be placed at @Nhawks17's feet. 

*SIGH* You didn't read all that well, I'm afraid, @Illation.

The double layer of clouds you mention is precisely because of your CKAN install - it is completely and totally incorrect. Whoever set up the.netkan file (Not Nhawks, BTW) forced it to pick up EVE as a requirement. This isn't totally incorrect, but SVE includes the required EVE content. So, by installing EVE and SVE seperately, viola... two layers of clouds. This was talked about a long way back in the thread (so I'm quoting the above stuff more about your CKAN usage than anything), but the issue IS in the thread.

Correct installation procedure in the first quote.

Edited by Shadriss

I've updated the OP to tell people to refrain from installing via CKAN... I will also be making a request to the CKAN team to remove SVE from CKAN until a proper and supported netkan file can be created.

1 hour ago, Illation said:

So I have been trying this mod a little and I am running into two problems. The first one is probably scatterer related and is the atmosphere sometimes "detaching" from the camera, so you can see it as an overlay over other objects its not supposed to sit on, and it also seems to not take the FOV from the camera and instead have a default fov at which it sticks. again I suspect thats a problem of scatterer and not this mod, but I am just saying it in case.

This is a scatterer issue that has already been reported.

1 hour ago, Illation said:

My other problem is that I assume that instead of replacing the effects from EVE it simply displays both, so I have the blotchy city lights and clouds from the original mod next to the ones from SVE, at least thats what it looks like to me. I looked through this thread and didnt really see that problem being mentioned yet.

As aforementioned, this is as a result of installing via CKAN. If you haven't yet fixed it by manually installing, I believe deleting the BoulderCo file in GameDate will resolve the problem. 

Ah, awesome thanks, sorry for the inconvenience, I was using the search tool looking for keywords relating to my problem and didnt find anything related so I missed it, this mod does have quite a long thread :D Thanks for helping me anyway :) Otherwise the mod looks fantastic