Depreciated SVE -Do Not Enter-

Nhawks17

1 hour ago, sDaZe said:

I gotta say i've come a long way with the development of SVE. All my hard work has paid off in this mod :blush:

qdetfTB.jpg

Right!? I'm doing wonders with SSRSS as well :P We are some great developers :sticktongue:

DEVELOPMENT UPDATE #2:

Okay so you know how I said I had cubemaps down? Well, I can't get any cubemap lower than an 8192x resolution to not have square artifacts on Kerbin (I've tried using 3 different methods) and with a whopping 85.3 MB (size not RAM hit) combined for one cloud layer in the cubemap system compared to 42.6 MB (again size, not RAM hit) for one cloud layer in the system that is currently in place, I cannot see an advantage worth how much more size it takes up. I will provide the cubemaps as an optional thing for people who want them (but only in 8192x). The install procedure will change in the release version (think more along the lines of how Astronomer did his downloads, this is easier for me, sry). I'll be moving onto the scatterer stuff now that the cubemaps stuff is out of the way.

20 hours ago, Nhawks17 said:

DEVELOPMENT UPDATE #2:

Okay so you know how I said I had cubemaps down? Well, I can't get any cubemap lower than an 8192x resolution to not have square artifacts on Kerbin (I've tried using 3 different methods) and with a whopping 85.3 MB (size not RAM hit) combined for one cloud layer in the cubemap system compared to 42.6 MB (again size, not RAM hit) for one cloud layer in the system that is currently in place, I cannot see an advantage worth how much more size it takes up. I will provide the cubemaps as an optional thing for people who want them (but only in 8192x). The install procedure will change in the release version (think more along the lines of how Astronomer did his downloads, this is easier for me, sry). I'll be moving onto the scatterer stuff now that the cubemaps stuff is out of the way.

I believe I can help and I feel that the cube map system is the way forward for SVE based on its current layout/contents...

I have taken the 4 Main Texture maps included in SVE (kerbin1, kerbin2, low & EveClouds) and cube mapped them at the UR, HR, MR and LR resolutions so that the same cube map can be used for all cloud layers that currently use kerbin1, kerbin2, low and EveClouds textures. I honestly would step away from the .dds format for these textures for the reason you stated above, the LOD changes that .dds implements really pixelates the visuals sometimes so I have made them in a 4 channel, RGBA .png format coming out at the following total file sizes for the 6 cube faces:

• UR: 49.3MB
  • HR: 13.8MB
  • MR: 3.83MB
  • LR: 1.08MB

In comparison, the current UR total of the 4 main textures is 144MB, so the footprint would be reduced to 35% of the current total for those 4 textures.. Quite a significant saving.

I have zipped all of this up and is available for you to download here along with the Texture Manager config file that is required for the cube maps in each resolution case: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8b4itosy9zml2jk/StockVisualEnhancements.zip?dl=0 - Be aware though, do not edit or re-save the .png files as they have been exported with SuperPNG to preserve the Alpha channel.

Basically, what would be required of you would be to amend the Main Texture part of the cloud configs for each layer that uses either the kerbin1, kerbin2, low or EveClouds textures in the following manner:

• Go into the EVE GUI and for each affected cloud layer, change the _MainTex path to "StockVisualEnhancements/EVE/Atmosphere/Textures/cloud" as shown in the screenshot below.

i5kMLLL.png

• Change the _MainTex type to "AlphaCubeMap".
  • Change the alphaMask to the following value depending on the previously used texture as follows:
    • ALPHAMAP_A - EveClouds
    • ALPHAMAP_R - kerbin1
    • ALPHAMAP_G - kerbin2
    • ALPHAMAP_B - low

Once this has all been done you should be able to remove the kerbin1.dds, kerbin2.dds, low.dds and EveClouds.dds files from the mod. I didn't include an amended clouds.cfg in the bundled .zip as I don't know where you are with development of the configs at this time and if your in-dev version is different from that of the latest release, however, to be honest its not too much work anyway. :P 

P.S. I would have made a pull request on the Git Repo but the directory structure of the source does not reflect the offered releases... which I understand why. Hence the Dropbox link. :D 

Let me know your thoughts... if you want to use these then absolutely be my guest and don't hold back if you have any queries.

2 hours ago, Poodmund said:

I believe I can help and I feel that the cube map system is the way forward for SVE based on its current layout/contents...

I have taken the 4 Main Texture maps included in SVE (kerbin1, kerbin2, low & EveClouds) and cube mapped them at the UR, HR, MR and LR resolutions so that the same cube map can be used for all cloud layers that currently use kerbin1, kerbin2, low and EveClouds textures. I honestly would step away from the .dds format for these textures for the reason you stated above, the LOD changes that .dds implements really pixelates the visuals sometimes so I have made them in a 4 channel, RGBA .png format coming out at the following total file sizes for the 6 cube faces:

• UR: 49.3MB
  • HR: 13.8MB
  • MR: 3.83MB
  • LR: 1.08MB

In comparison, the current UR total of the 4 main textures is 144MB, so the footprint would be reduced to 35% of the current total for those 4 textures.. Quite a significant saving.

I have zipped all of this up and is available for you to download here along with the Texture Manager config file that is required for the cube maps in each resolution case: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8b4itosy9zml2jk/StockVisualEnhancements.zip?dl=0 - Be aware though, do not edit or re-save the .png files as they have been exported with SuperPNG to preserve the Alpha channel.

Basically, what would be required of you would be to amend the Main Texture part of the cloud configs for each layer that uses either the kerbin1, kerbin2, low or EveClouds textures in the following manner:

• Go into the EVE GUI and for each affected cloud layer, change the _MainTex path to "StockVisualEnhancements/EVE/Atmosphere/Textures/cloud" as shown in the screenshot below.

i5kMLLL.png

• Change the _MainTex type to "AlphaCubeMap".
  • Change the alphaMask to the following value depending on the previously used texture as follows:
    • ALPHAMAP_A - EveClouds
    • ALPHAMAP_R - kerbin1
    • ALPHAMAP_G - kerbin2
    • ALPHAMAP_B - low

Once this has all been done you should be able to remove the kerbin1.dds, kerbin2.dds, low.dds and EveClouds.dds files from the mod. I didn't include an amended clouds.cfg in the bundled .zip as I don't know where you are with development of the configs at this time and if your in-dev version is different from that of the latest release, however, to be honest its not too much work anyway. :P 

P.S. I would have made a pull request on the Git Repo but the directory structure of the source does not reflect the offered releases... which I understand why. Hence the Dropbox link. :D 

Let me know your thoughts... if you want to use these then absolutely be my guest and don't hold back if you have any queries.

Oooh, was it the dds format causing the square artifacts? Wonderful of you to do this :D I will plug this into my testing and see how it does! Thanks Poodmund for all your help :D 

48 minutes ago, Poodmund said:

No problem, like I said, hit me up if you need any assistance or you want to order me to do stuff. :D 

Ok problem. I don't know if it's because of how Eve's clouds are or because it's on the alpha layer but it is too translucent currently. Here's a comparison:

Using RGBA:

413edcd3d5df421cbef47799ab2e4f44.png

Using CubeMap_A:

615845ae9aa04ee9aad5d146295e6923.png

All the settings are the same, I even tried bumping the cubemap version alpha color back to 255 and it didn't do anything really. Thoughts?

On 10/24/2015 at 1:32 PM, Nhawks17 said:

Ok so I've been looking into getting new cloud textures for Eve because the one in RVE is currently only a 1024x512 image and blegh. Tell me which one you guys like best.

Fedzwr3.png

1iMvzRb.png

On 10/24/2015 at 9:08 PM, Nhawks17 said:

Tell me what you guys think of this. I went back to the first texture. I couldn't find anything I liked. I up-scaled the texture to be larger, which if you know anything about photo editing, doesn't always work very well. In this case, it really isn't that bad. Luckily the detail texture comes into play before you start seeing any ugliness that would've been caused by the up-scaled texture. I like this the best so far, I'm going to push out a release after I finish my "work session", or whatever you want to call it, that includes this so people can test this and the volumetric clouds out themselves. Feedback will always be appreciated :)

RlALOCH.jpg

5yLLeuv.png

I miss this Nhawks... He worked so much faster and efficient 

On 6/1/2016 at 11:29 AM, Nhawks17 said:

Ok problem. I don't know if it's because of how Eve's clouds are or because it's on the alpha layer but it is too translucent currently. Here's a comparison:

Using RGBA:

413edcd3d5df421cbef47799ab2e4f44.png

Using CubeMap_A:

615845ae9aa04ee9aad5d146295e6923.png

All the settings are the same, I even tried bumping the cubemap version alpha color back to 255 and it didn't do anything really. Thoughts? 

We had the same problem. We ended up going back to a 4k texture of the actual venus clouds.

jAdz66V.jpg

3u4O1Kw.jpg

Edited by sDaZe

2 hours ago, sDaZe said:

I miss this Nhawks... He worked so much faster and efficient 

:( 

2 hours ago, sDaZe said:

We had the same problem. We ended up going back to a 4k texture of the actual venus clouds.

I don't think it has anything to do with the resolution, it's just the method being used to map the clouds. The 8k textures work fine on RGBA it's just the cubemaps having trouble

21 hours ago, Nhawks17 said:

@Poodmund have you heard anything from rbray about the issue with the Eve clouds on the alpha cubemap?

Not yet. However, after thinking about it, the way it is acting is how it should be so in that case the EVE clouds are going to have to be removed from the that cube map. Alpha map textures are not suited to being coloured in any way due to the way the sun is acting as a source of white light to it saturates the texture on all RGB channels in the colour parameter.

So in any case, I give you this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8b4itosy9zml2jk/StockVisualEnhancements.zip?dl=0

The clouds are on the following textures/channels:

• MainTex: StockVisualEnhancements/EVE/Atmosphere/Textures/cloud - Type: AlphaCubeMap, ALPHAMAP_R - Original Texture: kerbin1
  • MainTex: StockVisualEnhancements/EVE/Atmosphere/Textures/cloud - Type: AlphaCubeMap, ALPHAMAP_G - Original Texture: kerbin2
  • MainTex: StockVisualEnhancements/EVE/Atmosphere/Textures/cloud - Type: AlphaCubeMap, ALPHAMAP_B - Original Texture: low
  • MainTex: StockVisualEnhancements/EVE/Atmosphere/Textures/eve - Type: CubeMap - Original Texture: EveClouds

By separating the Eve Clouds texture to its own cube map and running it in a Greyscale opaque texture in the RGBA format, you bypass the previous issue and still retain the non-pinching of the texture at the poles and a low file size.

In total I think the UR sized textures come in at a total of 47MB or so.

EDIT: Try it out, see if it makes a difference positively/negatively compared to how you're running it at the moment and let me know. If you have any ideas or critiques I may be able to fiddle with them somewhat. Also, if you seriously want to run with this, do you have the original raw textures used for these images as saving as a .dds causes pretty bad compression so for a release batch it would be worth using the originals as the source?

Edited by Poodmund

4 hours ago, Poodmund said:

Not yet. However, after thinking about it, the way it is acting is how it should be so in that case the EVE clouds are going to have to be removed from the that cube map. Alpha map textures are not suited to being coloured in any way due to the way the sun is acting as a source of white light to it saturates the texture on all RGB channels in the colour parameter.

So in any case, I give you this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8b4itosy9zml2jk/StockVisualEnhancements.zip?dl=0

The clouds are on the following textures/channels:

• MainTex: StockVisualEnhancements/EVE/Atmosphere/Textures/cloud - Type: AlphaCubeMap, ALPHAMAP_R - Original Texture: kerbin1
  • MainTex: StockVisualEnhancements/EVE/Atmosphere/Textures/cloud - Type: AlphaCubeMap, ALPHAMAP_G - Original Texture: kerbin2
  • MainTex: StockVisualEnhancements/EVE/Atmosphere/Textures/cloud - Type: AlphaCubeMap, ALPHAMAP_B - Original Texture: low
  • MainTex: StockVisualEnhancements/EVE/Atmosphere/Textures/eve - Type: CubeMap - Original Texture: EveClouds

By separating the Eve Clouds texture to its own cube map and running it in a Greyscale opaque texture in the RGBA format, you bypass the previous issue and still retain the non-pinching of the texture at the poles and a low file size.

In total I think the UR sized textures come in at a total of 47MB or so.

EDIT: Try it out, see if it makes a difference positively/negatively compared to how you're running it at the moment and let me know. If you have any ideas or critiques I may be able to fiddle with them somewhat. Also, if you seriously want to run with this, do you have the original raw textures used for these images as saving as a .dds causes pretty bad compression so for a release batch it would be worth using the originals as the source?

You are incredible, thank you! Yes I do have the raw textures, I'll send you a mail with them :D

I'd had EVE installed for a while just so I could get some basic clouds, but just used the stock configs and never did anything much with it.  But last night I installed SVE + Scatterer for the first time and I literally said "Holy crap!" out loud when I loaded up KSC for the first time!!!  It's BREATHTAKING, I can't believe the insane difference from stock!

Thank you so much for all your hard work guys, it totally transforms the game! :D

Thanks to having a bit more RAM headroom with 64-bit KSP, I thought I'd give this mod a whirl. EVE was cool, so let's see what this does. Granted, I've had only 45 minutes experience with SVE.

I can sum my reaction up in three words (and four pictures):

Oh. my. GAWD.

0mmtNQh.png?1

5u97BvC.png?1

dKQPW7c.png

rE9skt7.png
OK, I undershot the landing a little. They can swim. I think...

I am loath to cry, "this mod should be stock!" I'm making an exception here. At least, they could learn a hell of a lot from what you've accomplished. Well done!

Edited by Jack Wolfe

Hi. First off great mod, I really appreciate all the fantastic work you do for the rest of us. Over the last few days I've tried most of the main graphics improvement mods and so far this one is the front runner.

I am however having a small issue. I've set this up exactly as described in the instructions but I'm having an issue with the clouds. They appear, and they look great, but the ground shadows aren't displaying at all from low orbit (85km). The strange thing is they appear on the start screen, and on the map screen, but not in the in-game view.

I've disabled the volumetric and cirrus clouds as I prefer a less hazy cloudscape, it doesn't make any difference as the shadows never showed up in the game view, but without all the haze the issue is a bit more obvious.

I've also noticed the same issue in all the other images that others have posted recently in this forum, but I haven't seen anyone else mention it. Not sure whether it's a known issue, I've read the OP and the last 15 pages or so but no mention of it anywhere.

Is there a shadow rendering range variable somewhere that is different for the start screen and map view?

Also notice that the shadows display fine in EVE.

In this first image you can see the shadows I'm talking about in the clouds just below the capsule, this is using EVE.

TjTRb9V.jpg

In this similar image using SVE there are no cloud shadows anywhere.

8oiAFBn.jpg

But these next images show that in SVE the shadows appear in the Start Screen and the Map Screen.

On the start screen you can see the cloud shadows in the bottom right corner of the image.

U9pBLPd.jpg

On the map view you can see the cloud shadows on the right limb of Kirbin near where the capsule is orbiting.

EFykS0z.jpg

Here's the log.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ah4umej3ishjy55/output_log.txt?dl=0

I seem unable to get the editor to insert these images from dropbox directly into the post. Not sure why. Is there some BB markup text I have to use or something? The editor is just displaying an empty box and no other feedback. And where is the preview post button on this forum?

Edited by Neutrino.

51 minutes ago, Neutrino. said:

Hi. First off great mod, I really appreciate all the fantastic work you do for the rest of us. Over the last few days I've tried most of the main graphics improvement mods and so far this one is the front runner.

I am however having a small issue. I've set this up exactly as described in the instructions but I'm having an issue with the clouds. They appear, and they look great, but the ground shadows aren't displaying at all from low orbit (85km). The strange thing is they appear on the start screen, and on the map screen, but not in the in-game view.

I've disabled the volumetric and cirrus clouds as I prefer a less hazy cloudscape, it doesn't make any difference as the shadows never showed up in the game view, but without all the haze the issue is a bit more obvious.

I've also noticed the same issue in all the other images that others have posted recently in this forum, but I haven't seen anyone else mention it. Not sure whether it's a known issue, I've read the OP and the last 15 pages or so but no mention of it anywhere.

Is there a shadow rendering range variable somewhere that is different for the start screen and map view?

Also notice that the shadows display fine in EVE.

In this first image you can see the shadows I mean in the clouds just below the capsule, this is using EVE.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4r8owfir5u10xdn/EVE-CloudShadows.png?dl=0

In this similar image using SVE there are no cloud shadows anywhere.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/px0hv822qtswfmt/SVE-NoCloudShadows.png?dl=0

But these images show that in SVE the shadows appear in the Start Screen and the Map Screen.

On the start screen you can see the cloud shadows in the bottom right corner of the image.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u7650qpm8fz4qmd/SVE-StartScreenShadows.png?dl=0

On the map view you can see the cloud shadows on the right limb of Kirbin near where the capsule is orbiting.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/npofl8z57jap3ke/SVE-MapViewCloudShadows.png?dl=0

Here's the log.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ah4umej3ishjy55/output_log.txt?dl=0

I seem unable to get the editor to insert these images from dropbox directly into the post. Not sure why. Is there some BB markup text I have to use or something? The editor is just displaying an empty box and no other feedback. And where is the preview post button on this forum?

I have the cloud shadows turned down a considerable amount as they really don't look that great with SVE when on full blast so that might be why you can't see them like you could with the base EVE. It's best to upload images to imgur and then copy paste the image into the editor.

If you have the shadows turned right down how come they display clearly on Start Screen and on the Map Screen, is there separate configuration option for those displays? The shadows also look really good on those screens, they add much needed depth to the display of the clouds, without them it just looks really flat like a picture instead of 3D.

Is there some configuration option I can adjust to turn the shadows back up please? I've already tried adjusting the shadowMaterial _shadowFactor between 1 and 0 and it had no discernable effect whatsoever.

It doesn't seem as if the shadows are just really dialled back, it seems more like they aren't present in the in game view at all.

P.S. Thanks for the imgur image tips, I've updated my post.

Does Outer Planets Mod break SVE? I noticed that when I installed Outer Planets, suddenly Kerbin looked naked w/o any clouds. Are these two mods incompatible?

[edit]

Strangely, when I uninstalled OPM and then reinstalled it, SVE still worked. Can't explain that. :/

Edited by Recon777

44 minutes ago, Recon777 said:

Does Outer Planets Mod break SVE? I noticed that when I installed Outer Planets, suddenly Kerbin looked naked w/o any clouds. Are these two mods incompatible?

[edit]

Strangely, when I uninstalled OPM and then reinstalled it, SVE still worked. Can't explain that. :/

Yeah... dunno what happend for you the first time. OPM and SVE are two completely different things so they wouldn't be incompatible.