Nhawks17

Depreciated SVE -Do Not Enter-

Recommended Posts

29 minutes ago, fallout2077 said:

Just out of curiosity, it was you that worked on the Ultra-res version of SVE, correct? You mention on the GitHub page that it uses modified files that are meant to run in the Linux version of the game. Unless I'm wrong, KSP can't run in anything but OpenGL in Linux, so shouldn't you have been running SVE in OpenGL? If there is a way to run KSP in DirectX in Linux, I would love to hear it!

What I meant by that is that the textures in the UR version are 8k so the likelihood that someone could run that version on a 32-bit Windows version without crashing is very low so I recommended only using that version on Linux as there is no issue with it crashing since Linux KSP is 64-bit. There is no modified files in it, just high resolution textures.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nhawks17 said:

What I meant by that is that the textures in the UR version are 8k so the likelihood that someone could run that version on a 32-bit Windows version without crashing is very low so I recommended only using that version on Linux as there is no issue with it crashing since Linux KSP is 64-bit. There is no modified files in it, just high resolution textures.

Alright, I figured that. Thanks for the clarification!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey @Nhawks17 first off just wanted to appreciate the work you and @pingopete have done.

I wish I didn't have anything bad to report, but I do, so I have been testing out the latest version and had to revert to just the latest EVE, Kopernicus and scatterer because of the big FPS loss using SVE. I am not sure what is causing it, I am on Linux 64bit OpenGL UR version of SVE. I have copied the SVE scatterer configs over the top of the default scatterer (latest version) configs. It all seems to work OK, occasionally when reverting to the Hangar I would get the grass floor, but that's no biggie. It's just the FPS hit really.

Anyway with the stock mods (see what I did there) I don't have the framerate hit.

Love the work you guys have done and I wish I could use it, but I am doing a cinematic and I already have an FPS mountain to climb with the number of craft I have spawned.

Keep up the good work I am sure it will get better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, selfish_meme said:

Hey @Nhawks17 first off just wanted to appreciate the work you and @pingopete have done.

I wish I didn't have anything bad to report, but I do, so I have been testing out the latest version and had to revert to just the latest EVE, Kopernicus and scatterer because of the big FPS loss using SVE. I am not sure what is causing it, I am on Linux 64bit OpenGL UR version of SVE. I have copied the SVE scatterer configs over the top of the default scatterer (latest version) configs. It all seems to work OK, occasionally when reverting to the Hangar I would get the grass floor, but that's no biggie. It's just the FPS hit really.

Anyway with the stock mods (see what I did there) I don't have the framerate hit.

Love the work you guys have done and I wish I could use it, but I am doing a cinematic and I already have an FPS mountain to climb with the number of craft I have spawned.

Keep up the good work I am sure it will get better.

Unfortunately it is hard for me to diagnose Linux problems as I do not have it so I can't look into it as detailed as I could on Windows. However, I haven't noticed or seen from others a massive FPS loss like you're talking about. The FPS hit is definitely going to be much worse on SVE than stock EVE as Kerbin alone has two 8k cloud layers as well as a 2k aurora layer all while rendering out the volumetric clouds that come with SVE. What'd I'd suggest is going to a lower resolution version. What are your system specs by the way?

4 hours ago, Son_of_Flynn said:

Anyone know why im not getting any clouds after I installed?

No logs, no gamedata pictures, no ingame pictures, no help :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nhawks17 said:

Unfortunately it is hard for me to diagnose Linux problems as I do not have it so I can't look into it as detailed as I could on Windows. However, I haven't noticed or seen from others a massive FPS loss like you're talking about. The FPS hit is definitely going to be much worse on SVE than stock EVE as Kerbin alone has two 8k cloud layers as well as a 2k aurora layer all while rendering out the volumetric clouds that come with SVE. What'd I'd suggest is going to a lower resolution version. What are your system specs by the way?

No logs, no gamedata pictures, no ingame pictures, no help :) 

I figured it out. I used CKan to install, but it didnt do it correctly. I manually installed it and worked fine.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Nhawks17 said:

Unfortunately it is hard for me to diagnose Linux problems as I do not have it so I can't look into it as detailed as I could on Windows. However, I haven't noticed or seen from others a massive FPS loss like you're talking about. The FPS hit is definitely going to be much worse on SVE than stock EVE as Kerbin alone has two 8k cloud layers as well as a 2k aurora layer all while rendering out the volumetric clouds that come with SVE. What'd I'd suggest is going to a lower resolution version. What are your system specs by the way?

No logs, no gamedata pictures, no ingame pictures, no help :) 

I have a core i5 overclocked to 4.5ghz, and a GTX570 and 8GB of RAM, Don't fret my craft spawning needs have overwhelmed the machine anyway. I just decided I need to cut back my inner Michael Bay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello

Any possibility to decrease nebulosity on Eve ? Too many clouds and no sight of landscape nowhere.....

Edited by gilflo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, gilflo said:

Hello

Any possibility to decrease nebulosity on Eve ? Too many clouds and no sight of landscape nowhere.....

It's not something that would be put in the release, no. If you want to change it for yourself you can but I won't be changing it for the mod as that is the effect that I want to happen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't figure for the life of me why the clouds disappear at 55,000m.  I'm guessing they're supposed to and by that point the in orbit Kerbin texture takes place which has clouds on it.  But it doesn't.  Not until around 180km.  Between 55,000m and ~180km, it's a cloudless Kerbin

Edited by Sabor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Sabor said:

I can't figure for the life of me why the clouds disappear at 55,000m.  I'm guessing they're supposed to and by that point the in orbit Kerbin texture takes place which has clouds on it.  But it doesn't.  Not until around 180km.  Between 55,000m and ~180km, it's a cloudless Kerbin

it was a an old EVE bug

it was fixed some time ago, maybe the version redistributed here is not up-to-date

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

it was a an old EVE bug

it was fixed some time ago, maybe the version redistributed here is not up-to-date

Should I replace the Shaders/.DLL's in EnvironmentalVisualEnhancement or should I replace textures and cfgs in StockVisualEnhancements/EVE ?  That's a stupid question, disregard.  Thanks =)

Edited by Sabor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

it was a an old EVE bug

it was fixed some time ago, maybe the version redistributed here is not up-to-date

 

30 minutes ago, Sabor said:

Should I replace the Shaders/.DLL's in EnvironmentalVisualEnhancement or should I replace textures and cfgs in StockVisualEnhancements/EVE ?  That's a stupid question, disregard.  Thanks =)

The one that I have distributed is a couple of dev versions behind so it might be the cause... I can probably put out a quick update including the newer files. What I really need is for rbray to start working on EVE again :sticktongue:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Nhawks17 said:

 

The one that I have distributed is a couple of dev versions behind so it might be the cause... I can probably put out a quick update including the newer files. What I really need is for rbray to start working on EVE again :sticktongue:

What I did to 'fix' it was use EVE's default shaders/dlls, and replace EVE's Boulderco textures with yours.  Then if you want to use your configuration files, go through and edit all of the directory lines that point to the StockVisualEnhancement folder to Boulderco instead.   That exludes some of your .DLL's I believe so I'm not sure how much of this mod I'm missing by doing this

Edited by Sabor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Sabor said:

What I did to 'fix' it was use EVE's default shaders/dlls, and replace EVE's Boulderco textures with yours.  Then if you want to use your configuration files, go through and edit all of the directory lines that point to the StockVisualEnhancement folder to Boulderco instead.   That exludes some of your .DLL's I believe so I'm not sure how much of this mod I'm missing by doing this

....So you're just using EVE..... If you replaced the textures with the BoulderCo ones then you aren't using SVE anymore. The DLL files that come bundled with SVE are not modified and are just a redistribution of EVE. The thing that makes SVE, SVE, are the textures and configs in the StockVisualEnhancements folder, replacing them with BoulderCo is just using the plain old EVE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Nhawks17 said:

....So you're just using EVE..... If you replaced the textures with the BoulderCo ones then you aren't using SVE anymore. The DLL files that come bundled with SVE are not modified and are just a redistribution of EVE. The thing that makes SVE, SVE, are the textures and configs in the StockVisualEnhancements folder, replacing them with BoulderCo is just using the plain old EVE.

No I've taken yours and overwrote the ones in BoulderCo.  If I tried installing it all correctly.. EvE, then SVE, The clouds disappeared at 55km, this is the only way I could solve it

Edited by Sabor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sabor said:

No I've taken yours and overwrote the ones in BoulderCo

Well that isn't going to do anything to effect the issue. Just replacing the EnviromentalVisualEnhancements folder would've worked. Moving things to the BoulderCo folder did nothing except change where the config reads the textures from. It's not going to harm anything either but just for future reference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Nhawks17 said:

Well that isn't going to do anything to effect the issue. Just replacing the EnviromentalVisualEnhancements folder would've worked. Moving things to the BoulderCo folder did nothing except change where the config reads the textures from. It's not going to harm anything either but just for future reference.

It's being very finicky the other way around. I drop the SVE Folder in instead, and no BoulderCo folder obviously, I get nothing at all. I drop the EVE portion (Shaders/DLLs) from SVE in rather than use the latest EVE, it works but the clouds disappear.  I Franken-Rig it like above and it works.  It makes no sense and Kerbal just hates on me

Edited by Sabor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Sabor said:

It's being very finicky the other way around. I drop the SVE Folder in instead, and no BoulderCo folder obviously, I get nothing at all. I drop the EVE portion (Shaders/DLLs) from SVE in rather than use the latest EVE, it works but the clouds disappear.  Kerbal just hating on me

Wait are you using the latest release version or the latest development version of EVE? If it's the release its because the config structure changed so it's not going to be recognized.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Nhawks17 said:

Wait are you using the latest release version or the latest development version of EVE? If it's the release its because the config structure changed so it's not going to be recognized.

Ahhhh.  I am indeed using the latest release. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23 February 2016 at 1:50 AM, Nhawks17 said:

Unfortunately it is hard for me to diagnose Linux problems as I do not have it so I can't look into it as detailed as I could on Windows. However, I haven't noticed or seen from others a massive FPS loss like you're talking about. The FPS hit is definitely going to be much worse on SVE than stock EVE as Kerbin alone has two 8k cloud layers as well as a 2k aurora layer all while rendering out the volumetric clouds that come with SVE. What'd I'd suggest is going to a lower resolution version. What are your system specs by the way?

No logs, no gamedata pictures, no ingame pictures, no help :) 

So I re-installed to test, had between 800mb-1gb of memory free while playing with SVE UR installed, still had the grass in the SPH issue, and this time the oceans disappeared, you can see the clouds and everything but it's like scatterers ocean shaders got turned off. I am using the latest scatterer dll with the SVE configs copied over the top. When it's just EVE and scatterer I don't get these issues.

Functionally just playing in OpenGL should be the same as using Linux. Thats all @blackrack does

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, selfish_meme said:

So I re-installed to test, had between 800mb-1gb of memory free while playing with SVE UR installed, still had the grass in the SPH issue, and this time the oceans disappeared, you can see the clouds and everything but it's like scatterers ocean shaders got turned off. I am using the latest scatterer dll with the SVE configs copied over the top. When it's just EVE and scatterer I don't get these issues.

Functionally just playing in OpenGL should be the same as using Linux. Thats all @blackrack does

 

That first issue looks like the camera bug that can be fixed with the Input Stack Lock thingy or whatever it's called in the debug menu for KSP. The disappearing oceans I have no idea what could be causing that. I'm currently working on completely redoing my scatterer stuff so maybe that'll introduce a fix. But that won't be out until the release version is up (which I'm still waiting on EVE to get an update).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, selfish_meme said:

So I re-installed to test, had between 800mb-1gb of memory free while playing with SVE UR installed, still had the grass in the SPH issue, and this time the oceans disappeared, you can see the clouds and everything but it's like scatterers ocean shaders got turned off. I am using the latest scatterer dll with the SVE configs copied over the top. When it's just EVE and scatterer I don't get these issues.

Functionally just playing in OpenGL should be the same as using Linux. Thats all @blackrack does

The grass in the SPH I have no idea. For the oceans however I'm guessing SVE didn't update to the new scatterer yet and you're using a config that predates the new scatterer right? Well I added a few new things in this release, if you look in the config points you'll find a few new fields, namely ocean alpha (by altitude), pootprocessing extinction multiplier and tint. If you're using an old config these will all have null value so you'll have to go in there and give them values, you could use the values from the default scatterer config.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nhawks17 said:

That first issue looks like the camera bug that can be fixed with the Input Stack Lock thingy or whatever it's called in the debug menu for KSP. The disappearing oceans I have no idea what could be causing that. I'm currently working on completely redoing my scatterer stuff so maybe that'll introduce a fix. But that won't be out until the release version is up (which I'm still waiting on EVE to get an update).

Tried the input stack thingy, all I got was one input lock that looked like grrrbuzzzzz ;) a scene change fixes it, but it does not happen with just EVE and scatterer.

Edited by selfish_meme

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, blackrack said:

The grass in the SPH I have no idea. For the oceans however I'm guessing SVE didn't update to the new scatterer yet and you're using a config that predates the new scatterer right? Well I added a few new things in this release, if you look in the config points you'll find a few new fields, namely ocean alpha (by altitude), pootprocessing extinction multiplier and tint. If you're using an old config these will all have null value so you'll have to go in there and give them values, you could use the values from the default scatterer config.

Ah hah, yes, that's the issue then selfish_meme, just use the base Scatterer configs until I get the configs redone.

Just now, selfish_meme said:

Tried the input stack thingy, all I got was one input lock that looked like grrrbuzzzzz ;)

I dunno then, I haven't ever run into that issue, do you see anything that sticks out in the debug log when you load the SPH?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.