Depreciated SVE -Do Not Enter-

Nhawks17

Just now, gkorgood said:

Four things.

1. Does this include rbray's recompiled EVE for 1.1?

2. Are you aware that all three of the most recent pre-releases on Github say they were released on Jan. 13?

3. Is there currently a known fix for the weird boxes EVE creates in 1.1? (more a question for the EVE thread, but I figured I'd ask here as well)

4. Thank you for all the work you do @Nhawks17, you're truly a wonderful addition to the KSP community.

1. Yes of course, it wouldn't work in 1.1 without it :D 

2. Yes I am aware, no commits have been.. committed... on Github since then, that's why it says that. Poor work on Github's part, I really wish they'd change (fix?) that.

3. Are you talking about the one's in the sky? If so, it's an actual issue with KSP, not any of the mods. Blackrack has reported it to Squad so hopefully they'll fix it soon

4. Not a problem :) Hope you enjoy it :D 

11 hours ago, Nhawks17 said:

1. Yes of course, it wouldn't work in 1.1 without it :D 

2. Yes I am aware, no commits have been.. committed... on Github since then, that's why it says that. Poor work on Github's part, I really wish they'd change (fix?) that.

3. Are you talking about the one's in the sky? If so, it's an actual issue with KSP, not any of the mods. Blackrack has reported it to Squad so hopefully they'll fix it soon

4. Not a problem :) Hope you enjoy it :D 

3. Not sure. I only see them when EVE is installed. They appear to be between your craft and the sun, but I haven't really looked into them too much. I'll do some more research and get you some screenshots.

EDIT: Here are the promised screenshots. This is using EVE's files, not SVE's, but I believe the same thing happens no matter what configs are used. I'll double check using SVE configs and also with no configs (just the EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements folder, no BoulderCo or StockVisualEnhancements or anything).

Spoiler

Edited by gkorgood
Added screenshots

4 hours ago, gkorgood said:

3. Not sure. I only see them when EVE is installed. They appear to be between your craft and the sun, but I haven't really looked into them too much. I'll do some more research and get you some screenshots.

EDIT: Here are the promised screenshots. This is using EVE's files, not SVE's, but I believe the same thing happens no matter what configs are used. I'll double check using SVE configs and also with no configs (just the EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements folder, no BoulderCo or StockVisualEnhancements or anything).

Reveal hidden contents

I had it too, but it seems its Scatterer not EVE, without Scatt I havent that issue

2 hours ago, Rohl29 said:

I had it too, but it seems its Scatterer not EVE, without Scatt I havent that issue

6 hours ago, gkorgood said:

Reveal hidden contents

In 1.1 the terrain is missing the proper renderType tags that say "this object is opaque, apply scattering" or "this object is transparent, don't apply scattering", without them there's no way to tell and I have no choice but to apply the postProcessing effect to everything in an indiscriminate manner. You will see this issue on clouds and on rocket exhausts with scatterer but the real cause of it (the lack of renderType tags) is for squad to address.

Edited: Seems I found an easy fix for this without extracting any shader files, not sure if it's a new unity 5 feature but in unity 4 I would've had to jump through a lot more hoops to do this, a fixed version will be up soon.

Edited by blackrack

3 hours ago, blackrack said:

In 1.1 the terrain is missing the proper renderType tags that say "this object is opaque, apply scattering" or "this object is transparent, don't apply scattering", without them there's no way to tell and I have no choice but to apply the postProcessing effect to everything in an indiscriminate manner. You will see this issue on clouds and on rocket exhausts with scatterer but the real cause of it (the lack of renderType tags) is for squad to address.

Edited: Seems I found an easy fix for this without extracting any shader files, not sure if it's a new unity 5 feature but in unity 4 I would've had to jump through a lot more hoops to do this, a fixed version will be up soon.

I had been noticing weird things with the exhaust, not when viewed against the sky, but when viewed against literally anything else. Good to hear there's an updoot on the way available, thanks for all your hard work @blackrack!

Edited by gkorgood
realized the update was more than on the way, it's available!

3 minutes ago, gkorgood said:

I had been noticing weird things with the exhaust, not when viewed against the sky, but when viewed against literally anything else. Good to hear there's an updoot on the way, thanks for all your hard work @blackrack!

It's already up :) try it and report back

Just now, blackrack said:

lol just realized and edited post accordingly. will do, probably on my lunch break though. at work at the moment.

looking good. the only slightly strange thing i've noticed is the cumulus particleMaterial textures which are radioactively bright. although, this might be an interaction with scatterer.

xGOPhfo.png

on reentry the pop-in for said radioactively bright cumulus particle textures is very noticeable, with an odd hexagonal structure. i'll post a screenshot next reentry i do.

Edited by speedwaystar

I've been wondering about that hexagonal area myself recently. I figured it was a render distance thing for volumetric clouds - only ever noted it from low orbit, and it wasn't a huge deal to me...

4 hours ago, blackrack said:

1 hour ago, blackrack said:

You sir are amazing. Thank you!

1 hour ago, speedwaystar said:

looking good. the only slightly strange thing i've noticed is the cumulus particleMaterial textures which are radioactively bright. although, this might be an interaction with scatterer.

xGOPhfo.png

on reentry the pop-in for said radioactively bright cumulus particle textures is very noticeable, with an odd hexagonal structure. i'll post a screenshot next reentry i do.

Do you mean the clouds are appearing too bright? If so, I've noticed this in my testing as well. I need to dive into it more. The update was literally just adding the updated EVE files, nothing was changed. 

38 minutes ago, Shadriss said:

I've been wondering about that hexagonal area myself recently. I figured it was a render distance thing for volumetric clouds - only ever noted it from low orbit, and it wasn't a huge deal to me...

Yeah, need to look into this as well... Running into some issues atm.

the fluro clouds and the hexagonal artifact are due to the the Kerbin-MainClouds/layerVolume settings.

SfVRpEk.png

reverting them to the following (from the earlier version of SVH) makes the volumetric clouds fade in during ascent and then fade back out again as you climb above the cloud layer, and also removes the giant volumetric cloud hexagon on reentry.

MDN6MSH.png

5 hours ago, speedwaystar said:

the fluro clouds and the hexagonal artifact are due to the the Kerbin-MainClouds/layerVolume settings.

SfVRpEk.png

reverting them to the following (from the earlier version of SVH) makes the volumetric clouds fade in during ascent and then fade back out again as you climb above the cloud layer, and also removes the giant volumetric cloud hexagon on reentry.

MDN6MSH.png

Neat! Thanks for testing that. I'll be sure to do this. I coulda sworn the third number was no longer needed with the latest EVE but I guess I was wrong!

Hiya everyone. I wanted to poke everyone who follows this about something. I'm going to be very busy over the next number of weeks due to real life things and the development of SVE is going to suffer from that. I wanted to put it out there that anyone who has any experience with EVE or working with this kind of thing, I'd love for you to come and help. If you're interested or want to see if you can do anything to help please send me a PM so I can finally get a release candidate out to you guys :) Thank you to anyone who shows interest, it means a lot :D   

Update for everyone! Somewhere along the line I mucked up the configs for SVE and it's caused some ugliness on the latest 1.1 version of EVE. So I'm going through the annoying process of basically redoing the configs for the clouds from scratch (I'm using the old configs as a guideline so it's not horrible). I can already tell a huge difference from just redoing Kerbin alone so I think it's going to be worth it in the end. 

What does this mean for you? Well nothing really.... Today was unfortunately my only day to work on them until Monday or Tuesday so I won't have anymore updates until then. After I get those finished I'm going to continue working on getting most of the textures switched to cubemaps (some will be left how they are). The custom Scatterer settings will be worked on after all of that is finished. Hopefully after that (cross your fingers) I'll finally have something that is release worthy. 

Stay tuned! More is to come!

P.S. If anyone is super knowledgable in writing netkan files for CKAN, send me a PM ;) 

Oh, I forgot. I'm looking to form a small testing team to help me out with the upcoming development. If you're interested fill out this form

@Nhawks17 i can say for this stage KSP + Mod + how thing goo is surprising going well, personal i was expect to be more messy
For all work what is done at this point by any enthusiastic, passionate one it need to thx for fact game was gather around a nice communities cheer to all.
About asking for help i will love to help but beside grab thing what you do, what other dose, set together, mess with them & give feed back for more i think i will do more damage :)
I will say do not rush, take your time actual release is good inaff for play with, it can be better yes but all it require time & patience special playing with graphic it is tidios, slow job, plus Eve & Scatter + Distant Object + Planet Shine + Ambient Light for sure they will be tune & modifies constantly

What we all can pray is Eve & Scatter to not have radical change what to invalidate completely actual config file but well it can happen i sen that with RVE so i say agen patience is key of success :)
I know very well what do you mean with "redoing the configs", i was try few time my self in my case ending bad, but that experience was teach me to undestend how thing work :)
So cheer mate i will be around ready for testing thing, usual i keep close eye on Eve, Scatter, RVE, KSPRC, SVE & most Visual mod what can make game look better (no offence for miss / not name long list with visual pack mods)

Bow & Salute

1 minute ago, Nhawks17 said:

EVE manager? You mean the GUI? It's Alt + 0

oh thanks mate.

Sorry if i'm bothering you, but the SVE Ultra seems like it's just EVE. But with more clouds.

Am I doing anything wrong? I have scatterer installed too

Just now, Table said:

oh thanks mate.

Sorry if i'm bothering you, but the SVE Ultra seems like it's just EVE. But with more clouds.

Am I doing anything wrong? I have scatterer installed too

Well... I mean... that's what it is. SVE just has different cloud textures than EVE :P 

1 minute ago, Nhawks17 said:

Well... I mean... that's what it is. SVE just has different cloud textures than EVE :P 

I think we need a Ultra Ultra res nom sayin?

Just now, Table said:

Oh, the OP pics kind of put me off a little

Those are a bit old indeed. The visuals you see are with a very old versions of Scatterer and blackrack has since changed the way the default shaders look. Eventually I'm going to make custom Scatterer configs and shaders which will make it look less "EVE-like" :P 

Just now, sDaZe said:

I think we need a Ultra Ultra res nom sayin?

As we watch all of our GPU's catch fire