[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

Damn, bad ninja pirate mod. Sorry for starting the thread with a bug report re-toast, and congrats on 1000 posts!

Okay yet another weirdness report! I was in the middle of orbital maneuvers to go for my first rendezvous (I was really close, too!) when my ship exploded in space while I was in the map view, just the same second as I clicked the button for Retrograde on the SMASS. The flight log said that the command pod exploded due to overheating... what? I had nothing firing at the time, apart from RCS. I\'m pretty sure RCS doesn\'t emit heat. Does it?

It\'s worth noting that upon inspection, it appears the debris is totally intact minus the pod 2.0 I had been using for control. Except that it was chopped into three perfectly separate pieces with very minutely different orbits, probably because of the explosion... this is looking suspiciously like Apollo 13.

Quote from: BamBam on June 07, 2012, 10:31:33 PM

I have been trying to build a lander with enough fuel and ZO2 capable to fly out to minimus, land there, move to the mun, land there, then make a powered landing at KSC.

carrying ZO2 tank, 2 panels, and the 2 drills. plus fuel and a couple parachutes to slow down in atmosphere at the end of mission makes for a complex vehicle.

i find myself using 8 landing legs to have enough strength to absorb the landing under 1G at KSC. i have begun to leave out RCS alltogether in an attempt to lighten the ship and just use one extra SAS part for a bit more rotational torque.

My problem mainly so far is that mechjeb seems not to kill all the horizontal velocity during the landing manuever. (it used too) on kerbin, the higher gravity actually helps, and a lander built strong enough can simple wobble a bit and be ok, but on minimus that same lander will drift off to the side and catch a foot on the ground and flip.

this kinda ruins the mission! =(

even the 'keep vert' function with the kill horizontal velocity option clicked does not come to a halt relative to the surface.

Help?!

Is there any way you could post your craft file?

ok, here is the ship.

parts from sarkun, cardboardbox, c7, and others......

He\'s asking about a model, not functionality. A MechJeb for Mk2 and Mk3 fuselages, as well as for NCS could come in handy.

He\'s asking about a model, not functionality. A MechJeb for Mk2 and Mk3 fuselages, as well as for NCS could come in handy.

Oops. Sorry. Still, if they\'re working on functionality they\'d be pretty silly not to work on a few models.

Just use one of the surface-attach ones.

Look behind the Mk.2 Cockpit here:

aJOUg.jpg

I saw a picture of in the mecheb the instrument landing system (ILS)

has this been encoroperated now?

Yes. You can see what is new in each version by following the version history link in the first post.

I cannot wait to just click a button and have my space planes finally auto land, please make that incorporated too :D

I\'ve gotten a runway auto-land working and it will be in the next release. :)

Yes. You can see what is new in each version by following the version history link in the first post.

I\'ve gotten a runway auto-land working and it will be in the next release. :)

WOOHOO!

Nice job the duck! dling now!

R4mon - question:

I\'ve been one of the few ppl that have messed with the 'period' stat in the orbital information (v1.8.4) and I\'m either misunderstanding it\'s meaning or the calculation is incorrect. I\'m betting on the first option!!

I have been predicting periods and actually measuring them in-game and my numbers don\'t match that in mechjeb. Is the period an approximation? Do I have no clue what it means? I spent much time on rails, would that affect the calculation? From the online manual:

Period

The time taken to complete one orbit along the currently projected path

What can you tell me about this calculation? Cheers.

Hello!

Is it possible to add separate engine control (an ability to turn each engine on/off and increase/decrease traction)?

I know with atmo. engines you can right click them and deactivate them and you can also right click fuel tanks to disable flow.

Other than that im not sure.

:cheers:

SSS

I know with atmo. engines you can right click them and deactivate them and you can also right click fuel tanks to disable flow.

:cheers:

SSS

Powertech Plugin does that. Just right click fueltanks/solarpanels/Landing gear/engines to enable and disable :D

I didn\'t know about that, thanks! Unfortunately, usual engines can\'t be deactivated that way.

MuMech-based engines can be toggled in a menu. See Damned Aerospace, RedSpar\'s Eagle and Kosmos.

The universal plugin for all engines would be much better :) But thank you for the info!

Powertech Plugin does that. Just right click fueltanks/solarpanels/Landing gear/engines to enable and disable :D

I\'ve read the description here http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=9533.0 and I can\'t see anything close to engine control in the description

What I\'ve managed to carry over from playing Orbiter is that the period is a variable that mechjeb uses to calculate a rendezvous. It\'s explained at the bottom of the '?' window. First you have to launch your rocket using mechjeb ascent without checking the box for calculating rendezvous. You have to let it go all the way until it finishes the circularization burn. Then you can end flight and restart. Mechjeb times the launches and then using the rendezvous module it has the variable in there. I didn\'t pay much attention to it but it was based of of seconds or something. It will then advance time until the 'Launch Window' and cound down from 10 and then launch. I\'ve come to be fairly skilled in getting it to go within 20km. I can intercept anything in orbit in under 30 minutes, real world time.

For some reason my mechjeb won\'t do transfers to the mun or minmus, at all. The craft will do nothing.

Mine did something, but that something was trying to do TMI at Munset rather than rise.

Another issue: There is no \'abort\' function for the auto landing. I accidentally hit land at target rather than select target and had no way to save the mission. This also prevents you from refining the final landing site manually.

Mine did something, but that something was trying to do TMI at Munset rather than rise.

Another issue: There is no \'abort\' function for the auto landing. I accidentally hit land at target rather than select target and had no way to save the mission. This also prevents you from refining the final landing site manually.

Clicking 'Land at Target' again turns it off.