[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

It might not be anything that can be handled by Mechjeb. And it might be that it's actually working as it should but it's not readily apparent from your perspective. Targeting center of gravity probably affects how the asteroid reports its reference transform which would be transparent to MJ. In other words, it should 'just work.'

That's how docking ports work. You can target a docking port that points in an entirely different than its parent object (like the inline docking port or Porkjet's FLAT hab) and MJ 'just works' because KSP handles everything in the background.

But the center of gravity is the docking port of the asteroid. MJ just does not recognize it as a target. I thought I got it to work the first time I tried it, but it doesn't seem to work now, and I don't remember what I did the first time...

Got a problem with 198 - it doesn't want to show up in toolbar (even in toolbar's button visibility setting). Other features work ok, including MJ own menu, though I got frozen delta-v window once, helped switching to KSC and back to craft.

BUG: Clicking the Auto-Stage option in Utility doesnt carry across to the Ascent menu.

I seem to recall awhile back someone requesting that Utility options not affect Ascent Guidance options... I don't remember autostage specifically being complained about... more like throttle limits and such. Maybe it was done on purpose. Is anything else affected??

I've had the problem where the DV stats are not updated in flight, so you're on stage 3 and it's still showing stage 1 with 0 DV left. But strangely, after I started using the larger rockets and tanks (Skipper, etc.) it went away.

This is after I re-downloaded and reinstalled MJ that had been updated for 23.5.

Edited by RocketBlam

Here is what I have so far:

- Clean 23.5

- Clean MJ 198

- Maneuver node execution not working as before. Autopilot does not align properly on initial burn line up, then as the node moves autopilot is failing to align and follow. Causes pilot to steer excessively at the end of the burn resulting in chasing the node the wrong direction.

- Delta V stats not working properly when using new parts. Unknown which parts exactly. I had this issue with the new engines last time, and when SRBs weren't calculating in Delta-V correctly either.

- Multiple craft tested

- No other mods

You can get past the node execution issue by manually forcing the nav ball to align in addition to letting mechjeb do the burn, at the end of the burn I have been disabling the autopilot to avoid issue. Turn off auto, hit SAS, finish your burn manually at the end. Still resulting in some sloppy orbits. Probably better off doing manual burns right now.

The Delta-V thing is a bigger issue imo.

I am unsure about docking/rendezvous modules as I have not tried them yet.

I have punch and pie for anyone that can clean up that Delta-V issue.

Something weird is going on, because I can't find the button to open MJ anywhere... I have the toolbar mod installed, may that be the cause?

No, MJ buttons are not on the toolbar, or on it's list either.

Build 198 works for me in 0.23.5. If your MJ settings file was created in the previous MJ and KSP 0.23, try moving it out of your KSP folder and letting MJ create a new settings file. If the bug still shows up on a clean MJ install, post a .craft file where you're seeing the issue in case there's a particular characteristic of the staging sequence that triggers it.

Hmm, thought I'd narrowed it down some but can't pin exactly which part is causing it. I've just caused deltav display failure on staging again somehow, stock parts & fresh installs of both KSP and Mechjeb 198. Do have some other mods installed (Kethane, KW, Scansat, KAS and toolbar) but none of the parts used in the very simple test ship.

Where's the best place to upload a craft file? :)

edit Hmm, this should work

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B10g9qvGfd9tMW41MFJPYzFIY1E

Edited by Tarrow

I also have a problem with my MJ button going AWOL, after I installed the new toolbar plugin. I think something between the two button are clashing. Maybe Toolbar is over writing MJ, but then again MJ is mission with out Toolbar installed.

food for thought.

Try building a new craft with SLS parts from top to bottom. I don't know why but I got DeltaV stats working again from that.

But I don't any SLS parts unlocked yet. It's an 9 asparagus stage (19 engine) rocket with the final stage (last three eingines) actually double ducked to act as the final stage of the entire booster assembly.

Here is the save for that particular rocket

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13301351/Explorer%206.craft

Edited by Farix

Here is what I have so far:

- Clean 23.5

- Clean MJ 198

- Maneuver node execution not working as before. Autopilot does not align properly on initial burn line up, then as the node moves autopilot is failing to align and follow. Causes pilot to steer excessively at the end of the burn resulting in chasing the node the wrong direction.

- Delta V stats not working properly when using new parts. Unknown which parts exactly. I had this issue with the new engines last time, and when SRBs weren't calculating in Delta-V correctly either.

- Multiple craft tested

- No other mods

You can get past the node execution issue by manually forcing the nav ball to align in addition to letting mechjeb do the burn, at the end of the burn I have been disabling the autopilot to avoid issue. Turn off auto, hit SAS, finish your burn manually at the end. Still resulting in some sloppy orbits. Probably better off doing manual burns right now.

The Delta-V thing is a bigger issue imo.

I am unsure about docking/rendezvous modules as I have not tried them yet.

I have punch and pie for anyone that can clean up that Delta-V issue.

I had sloppy node execution before the update, have found RCS set to on, with fine control {CAPS} and maneuver tolerance set to .5 or .6 helps.

So far have not experienced the Delta V failing to display for the new parts. Built several rockets earlier today, all showed clean Delta V stats. Are you sure you are using the latest dev build found here >

http://jenkins.mumech.com/job/MechJeb2/ ?

Is there a way to set MJ so that it uses RCS at a certain point? If I am doing a large burn with a high thrust engine. I would personally like the last 5-10ms to be RCS. However, the only way I have found that can do that is disabling the engine.

I had sloppy node execution before the update, have found RCS set to on, with fine control {CAPS} and maneuver tolerance set to .5 or .6 helps.

So far have not experienced the Delta V failing to display for the new parts. Built several rockets earlier today, all showed clean Delta V stats. Are you sure you are using the latest dev build found here >

http://jenkins.mumech.com/job/MechJeb2/ ?

There is, in fact, a bit of an odd Delta V problem. I saw it with a relatively simple 7 stage straight rocket. Thought maybe it was the new parts so I rebuilt the entire launch stage with different parts but was still seeing the problem. Completely removed the launch stage and launched from stage 6, Delta V was working again just fine. Reattached the launch stage, Delta V freezes again. Using mostly stock parts with a small mix of KW.

Found a bit of an oversight with the RCS for burns thing: MJ doesn't use your RCS thrust to calculate burns or your landing TWR, as an experiment I quicksaved near the surface of minmus and disabled the fuel tank, turned on RCS, MJ started using the RCS to slow me down the same time using the liquid engine would have been sufficient to slow me, hit the surface pretty hard. (then quickloaded and landed on the engine).

There is, in fact, a bit of an odd Delta V problem. I saw it with a relatively simple 7 stage straight rocket. Thought maybe it was the new parts so I rebuilt the entire launch stage with different parts but was still seeing the problem. Completely removed the launch stage and launched from stage 6, Delta V was working again just fine. Reattached the launch stage, Delta V freezes again. Using mostly stock parts with a small mix of KW.

If its there, and I'm not saying it isn't, I just haven't yet seen it. So far all my rockets appear to be displaying DV correctly, no matter what parts I use, and I'm playing a heavily modded game.

I still can't target the center of mass of an asteroid. But if I abort a rendezvous with a asteroid, but don't dismiss the window, it keeps the asteroid as the target and I can use SmartASS to TGT+ it and gently push towards. I still have to aim a little bit for the center of gravity and if I go to0 fast it still spins, but I can grab them. I got a small one into a ~500 km orbit. (And helplessly watched a Type C slam into Kerbin, that was kinda fun.)

Ok, let me add it in red for everyone to see it :

I can't code until at least Sunday. So you'll have to live with those bugs until then or hope that someone submit a patch to me.

I'm having problems getting the plug-in to work with 23.5. I tried installing it both in the gamedata and the old parts/plug-ins folders and neither of them worked. Do I need the dev build?

yes, the latest dev build is needed, and some people are reporting a DeltaV Issue with the new parts, although I have not experienced this.

After a few tests, it seems that the problem with the in-flight delta-V readout is caused by the use of fuel linesâ€â€like asparagus staging. I also noticed my frame rate drops when I pop up the delta-V screen on the vehicle I posted before and the game will crash on close. This could be a change to do with the game behavior as I notice that KER is having similar problems with in-flight delta-V readouts.