[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

Getting mod noncompatability pop-up from KSP .24 with MechJeb v2.2.1. May still work, just wanted to point out the pop up window!

I get that window with the Firespitter plugin using B9. It still works though.

MechJeb 2.3.0 released!

Just a quick release for 0.24 compatibility (as some stuff broke pretty hard). We'll probably follow up with a 2.3.1 release soon(ish) to add some better support for the new 0.24 features.

I've been having a problem with this. After I downloaded it no longer showed incompatable but I cannot utilize mechjeb on any craft. older ships just crash the game if they have it.

Ok I see how this is annoying and might not work for planes with low TWR at all, but seriously you can take off yourself and then use MJ.

I've done that, but Ascent Guidance is for rockets that have the power to fly straight up. A typical spaceplane needs to fly up much closer to horizontal for quite a ways, until above the majority of the atmosphere.

If the plane has the power to fly straight up, AG will rotate so fast and hard that anything out behind the rearmost wheels will get smacked into the runway and broken off. If the plane has enough lift to get airborne quickly, but not enough thrust for vertical flight, AG will try it anyway.

An AG for spaceplanes needs a completely different ascent profile, with at least one movable point to set the transition from horizontal airbreathing flight to vertical rocket flight. (Note that "horizontal" and "vertical" may not be exactly flat or straight up.)

Two movable transition points would be ideal for planes that have an initial rocket boost, then a jet cruise stage followed by a rocket boost up to orbit.

Autoland has some issues too. No automatic throttle control and if you engage it from too far out from either runway (what is it's ideal distance?) it will dive to a low altitude then follow a glide slope right into the water or crash into the island below the runway. I'd like to see it plot a slope from whatever altitude and location the plane is, then follow that angle down until it's close to the runway, whereupon it will maneuver to a final approach position and altitude to land. One more thing, select which end of each runway to land on.

I've had it successfully land unpowered rocket gliders, but only when I lucked into engaging it somewhere within the distance range from KSC that it will work with. Once it must have been just a few meters outside the max distance because it pancaked in just short of the ocean end of the runway. Too far away and it seems to just give up on flying and drops the glider tail first into the ocean. I even tried attaching a parachute to the back end to pull the tail up but autoland kept the tail forced down. with it off I could bring the glider to level and forward flight. If I added a couple of fuel tanks and jet engines, it would fly it towards KSC but I'd have to periodically abort and manually climb until it was close enough so it wouldn't fly it into the ocean. I made one landing on the island by using hyperedit about a dozen times to refill the SRB. Once it was close enough, autoland brought it down perfectly.

The most awesome autoland would be able to do a deorbit from any orbit around Kerbin then navigate to either runway and land from either end. :) Even cooler would be for autoland and landing guidance to have a way to set the desired local landing time.

That's a goal I'm trying to achieve, get a spaceplane to orbit using ascent guidance, then deorbit using landing guidance, then switch over to autoland.

I'm experimenting with MechJeb (latest GitHub) on 0.24, and it seems to be able to control everything _except_ the throttle. All attitude changes, etc., work fine, but burns never throttle up. Anyone else seeing this?

-c

1st you need ModuleManager ,then you make new New Text Document paste in this:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand],!MODULE[MechJebCore]]:Final
{
MODULE
{
name = MechJebCore
}
}

and rename it to something like MJ.cfg and put it in GameData folder.This will add all functionality of MJ to all pods and probes.

if you whant to integrate carere mode then this is for you:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand],!MODULE[MechJebCore]]:Final
{
MODULE
{
name = MechJebCore
MechJebLocalSettings {
MechJebModuleCustomWindowEditor { unlockTechs = flightControl }
MechJebModuleSmartASS { unlockTechs = flightControl }
MechJebModuleManeuverPlanner { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
MechJebModuleNodeEditor { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
MechJebModuleTranslatron { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
MechJebModuleWarpHelper { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
MechJebModuleAttitudeAdjustment { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
MechJebModuleThrustWindow { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
MechJebModuleRCSBalancerWindow { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
MechJebModuleRoverWindow { unlockTechs = fieldScience }
MechJebModuleAscentGuidance { unlockTechs = unmannedTech }
MechJebModuleLandingGuidance { unlockTechs = unmannedTech }
MechJebModuleSpaceplaneGuidance { unlockTechs = unmannedTech }
MechJebModuleDockingGuidance { unlockTechs = advUnmanned }
MechJebModuleRendezvousAutopilotWindow { unlockTechs = advUnmanned }
MechJebModuleRendezvousGuidance { unlockTechs = advUnmanned }
}
}

That did it, thanks!

I think I may have a bug report... I'm using the latest (released on the 17th) builds of MJ and module manager, with the above MM script, and all functionality is enabled on my pods in career mode even though I just have the first couple of tech tree nodes unlocked - I was expecting to get the delta V window and maybe one or two others, but I have everything available. I'm playing the full 0.24 career mode, with funds. Can anyone confirm?

Edited by OrbitalDebris

I think I may have a bug report... I'm using the latest (released on the 17th) builds of MJ and module manager, with the above MM script, and all functionality is enabled on my pods even though I just have the first couple of tech tree nodes unlocked - I was expecting to get the delta V window and maybe one or two others, but I have everything available. I'm playing the full career mode, with funds. Can anyone confirm?

Yeah, I'm seeing it all.

Landing AP wouldn't land for me though... don't think it's actually related though

Can't get this to work no matter what I do. Running KSP 64bit in Administrator mode.

Got the latest version of Module Manager 2.2.0

And mechJeb 2.3.0.0

KSP crashes while loading parts (usually around Squad/Parts/PodCommand/Model007 or something. I've also had the Windows crash dialog come up on occasion when testing.

I am not running my custom KSOS MechJeb part, I removed it to make sure I had stock MechJeb2 only.

I remove MechJeb and KSP loads just fine (only get the Firespitter compatibility warning). Otherwise putting MechJeb in there specifically causes KSP to crash.

Mods I am running:

ActiveTextureManagement (with Squad folder disabled)

BouderCo (part of ATM)

Chatterer

Environment Visual Effects

FASA

Firespitter **required by KSOS**

Raspter Prop Monitor (JSI) **required by KSOS** (this includes the folders MechJeb2RPM and SCANsatRPM)

Space Shuttle Engines Mod (Klockheed Martian) **required by KSOS**

KSO **required by KSOS**

NASAmission

Final Frontier Ribbon mod (Nereid)

Hotrockets (SmokeScreen) **required by KSOS**

Squad

Only thing I can think of is that ATM has some issue with the MechJeb parts. However, I removed the mbm found in parts/mechjeb2_ar202

Will experiment with another ATM exception of the MechJeb2 folder.

Can't get this to work no matter what I do. Running KSP 64bit in Administrator mode.

Got the latest version of Module Manager 2.2.0

And mechJeb 2.3.0.0

KSP crashes while loading parts (usually around Squad/Parts/PodCommand/Model007 or something. I've also had the Windows crash dialog come up on occasion when testing.

I am not running my custom KSOS MechJeb part, I removed it to make sure I had stock MechJeb2 only.

I remove MechJeb and KSP loads just fine (only get the Firespitter compatibility warning). Otherwise putting MechJeb in there specifically causes KSP to crash.

Mods I am running:

ActiveTextureManagement (with Squad folder disabled)

BouderCo (part of ATM)

Chatterer

Environment Visual Effects

FASA

Firespitter **required by KSOS**

Raspter Prop Monitor (JSI) **required by KSOS** (this includes the folders MechJeb2RPM and SCANsatRPM)

Space Shuttle Engines Mod (Klockheed Martian) **required by KSOS**

KSO **required by KSOS**

NASAmission

Final Frontier Ribbon mod (Nereid)

Hotrockets (SmokeScreen) **required by KSOS**

Squad

Only thing I can think of is that ATM has some issue with the MechJeb parts. However, I removed the mbm found in parts/mechjeb2_ar202

Will experiment with another ATM exception of the MechJeb2 folder.

Final Frontier is likely to cause you problems when you get to the main menu. It wouldn't let me start a new game

The dev and official are the same atm.

helldiver : try with only MJ and MM installed. And check the output log in the KSP_x64_data. And try in 32 bit mode too.

Don't forget that x64 on windows is not considered stable but the devs.

32bit seems fine. 64bit crashes pretty much as soon as anything mechjeb related starts up (i.e. selecting a pod in the editor). However also having crashes with other plugins on 64bit so it's not just a mechjeb thing.

Well, I was playing in 64bit when I wrote the 0.24 patch so it worked fine here. The released and dev version are not build in the same way but that should not change anything.

I continued experimenting.

Active Texture Management exception config (for those using ATM)

In the GameData\BoulderCo\ActiveTextureManagementConfigs create a new text file call it MechJeb2.cfg

ACTIVE_TEXTURE_MANAGER_CONFIG
{
folder = MechJeb2
enabled = false
NORMAL_LIST
{
texture = MechJeb2/Parts/MechJeb2_Pod/model001
}
}

That allowed me to load into KSP with MechJeb2 installed.

Unfortunately I crash when trying to load the Command Pod or any MechJeb part.

-This may be related to the non-updated version of Firespitter? (He hasn't recompiled to 0.24 yet).

I will say that once before ignoring all messages of the same kind : don't complain about any bugs here if you use any mods that was not updated for .24