[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

I installed x64 version, played alittle seemed fine. Installed KW Rocketry,played,seemed fine. Installed MJ v2.3.0 and well couldn't even make 100Km orbit. Used Ascension Mode to do a 100Km orbit and MJ finally stopped at 112Km AP,then warped to around 106Km, for circulation it went into Maneuver Planner ???, and things went WAY WRONG after that, eventually crashing through ATMO and I pulled chute to end it and landed.

<<< says Bottle Rocketeer, ain't that cute

same here. Wasn't playing from some time. I downloaded new version 0.24, reinstalled some mods including MJ. I can't use auto-orbit. I set 90km for orbit radius, it basically won't circulate. he is not even using throttle the proper way and it's going berserk. i tought it was me being rusty with KSP and MJ but apparently it's not. Kerbal x64 with win 8.1 64.

i do it with this steps, i dont remember the texts of mechjeb for exactly;

1 of course always choose target in map mode(for example spacecraftA in orbit of 500 km)

2 at launchpad you choose "launch for rendezvouz target"(lowest button) then mechjeb will autowarp to best launch time for rendezvouz spacecraft A, its best with about 20 km differene, so launch to 480-530 km.

3 if in orbit, click on rendezvouz target. set it to 20-40 meter instead of 100 meter. then just wait, it will take a few rocketburns to reach.

4 if close spacecraft A, switch your dockingport as pilot. also change target: one of the docking ports of spacecraft A which you wish to connect.

absolute essential is RCS for steering and docking, othwerwise you cannot dock.

I'd like the Landing Guidance module to have an option to target the Runway. The Pad is a smaller target then the runway which gives me less of a chance at getting the full 100% refund.

Feature request:

NathanKell made a plugin, CrossFeedEnabler, to allow for the easier use of radial fuel tanks for resources that have STACK_PRIORITY_SEARCH flow logic. MechJeb is currently not aware of said plugin and will ignore radial tanks that use it to deliver fuel to engines, thus reporting incorrect delta-V values (the fuel still flows in flight, it just doesn't get things right in the simulation it uses to calculate delta-V).

It's not a huge problem (for me the main tanks where this is a problem are the radial Liquid Hydrogen tanks from Near Future Propulsion), but if you could add this feature it would be nice to have.

I'd like the Landing Guidance module to have an option to target the Runway. The Pad is a smaller target then the runway which gives me less of a chance at getting the full 100% refund.

Or does anyone have some good Coordinates I can input as a good target location located half way up the runway?

Clean KSP 0.24 (32 bit), MechJeb 2.3.0 Release, Windows 7 (64 bit)

The "orientation" of the AR202 case seems to have changed from previous versions that I remember. When controlling from the AR202 case, it appears that "up" is pointing out the right-hand side of the case. So if I want the AR202's directions to match my pod's directions, I have to mount the AR202 on the left side of my craft. Is this a new feature, an old feature that I'm mis-remembering, or a bug?

Why are you bothering to "control from here" on the ar202? Just use your command pod. (which is what's used by default)

Why are you bothering to "control from here" on the ar202? Just use your command pod. (which is what's used by default)

Well, the fact that the AR202 can be used as a great lightweight rover "command pod" for one. No pesky torque, low mass, low power draw. Personally, I also find it difficult to build a small rover around any of the stock pods or probe cores.

Or then for medium-sized space vehicles, use an Inline Advanced Stabilizer + AR202 instead of an RC-001S RGU: same mass, lower power draw, much higher torque. I like this combo for a small orbital tug.

Anyone having a problem where MechJeb won't steer during ascent (corrective steering is checked)? It works in sandbox, but not in career mode (yes, ascent guidance is unlocked).

I've reinstalled MechJeb. Now I'm trying a fresh install of the game with my saves preserved.

EDIT: Steering seems to work with control surfaces, but it won't gimbal engines or use RCS/Verners. Might be a coincidence.

DOUBLE EDIT: Using new KW 2.5 meter engine for this test. Don't know if that matters.

Edited by FlexGunship

Anyone having a problem where MechJeb won't steer during ascent (corrective steering is checked)? It works in sandbox, but not in career mode (yes, ascent guidance is unlocked).

I've reinstalled MechJeb. Now I'm trying a fresh install of the game with my saves preserved.

EDIT: Steering seems to work with control surfaces, but it won't gimbal engines or use RCS/Verners. Might be a coincidence.

DOUBLE EDIT: Using new KW 2.5 meter engine for this test. Don't know if that matters.

I believe I fixed it. I removed the "MechJeb for Far" extension.

To the People having crash's with Mechjeb:

Do you use the ModuleManager.2.2.0.dll? It didn't actually do anything for me (i removed the corresponding mods), but the DLL combined with Mechjeb produced 100% crashs after the loading screen. Now the game has started 2x times just fine after removing the DLL.

To the People having crash's with Mechjeb:

Do you use the ModuleManager.2.2.0.dll? It didn't actually do anything for me (i removed the corresponding mods), but the DLL combined with Mechjeb produced 100% crashs after the loading screen. Now the game has started 2x times just fine after removing the DLL.

Not helpful, because it wasn't really ModuleManager causing your crashes, not even combined with MechJeb. Advising people to remove Module Manager will cripple mod functionality for them. However, a configuration loaded by Module Manager could crash or lock the game if what it was trying to load was incompatible with something else. (i.e., Module Manager patching a parachute part with an outdated Real Chutes configuration was causing crashes shortly being updated to 0.24)

You have to look at your output_log.txt file or player.log file (if you are on Linux or Mac) and learn how to trace what is being loaded.

To all who have MJ not showing up : open your KSP.log and search for :

Attempting to replace PartModule 'MechJebCore' with 'XXXXXX' (the XXX part change)

If you get that then you stumbled upon a bug in .24 and I can't do anything for you. You ll have to wait for a KSP patch.

where can I find ksp.log? C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\Common\Kerbal Space Program\?

Any help would be appreciated.

running 0.24 x64 via steam, Build #266 stable

have the parts but no buttons in toolbar or the tab on the right of the screen, all I can see is kerbol alarm clock. (sandbox or career)

also NOT suffering any crashes, and have NO incompatibility notifications.

thanks once again

Goldman

Edited by goldman

Not helpful, because it wasn't really ModuleManager causing your crashes, not even combined with MechJeb. Advising people to remove Module Manager will cripple mod functionality for them. However, a configuration loaded by Module Manager could crash or lock the game if what it was trying to load was incompatible with something else. (i.e., Module Manager patching a parachute part with an outdated Real Chutes configuration was causing crashes shortly being updated to 0.24)

You have to look at your output_log.txt file or player.log file (if you are on Linux or Mac) and learn how to trace what is being loaded.

Didn't you read my post? The module manager did load exactly 0 files and plugins, i removed every mod using it's functionality some time ago. Just having the file and mechjeb in the gamedata folder was causing crashes.

Didn't you read my post? The module manager did load exactly 0 files and plugins, i removed every mod using it's functionality some time ago. Just having the file and mechjeb in the gamedata folder was causing crashes.

No, your post was too vague

No, your post was too vague

Right, i was to vague. You certainly wouldn't misread a post. Allow me to ask you a question, do you always expect others to be wrong? That's quite rude.

Right, i was to vague. You certainly wouldn't misread a post. Allow me to ask you a question, do you always expect others to be wrong? That's quite rude.

Because he`s right.

With the mass updates of all mods, some include old dll`s without waiting for other mods to be updated first.

Your problem may even be related with another mod that included an old or already outdated dll.

As Starwaster said on the previous page, attach the KSP.log and KSP_Data/output_log.txt or KSP_x64_Data/output_log.txt if running the 64-bit version.

I`ve had the weirdest issues because of 1 single old dll that people still included.

Edited by Kamuchi

Nope, starwaster thought i was actually running mods requiring the module manager. But i'm not, the DLL should be completely redundant to my install. Furthermore, his whining about advising people to 'cripple' mod compatiility was completely unnecessary, since i only was trying to help people by pointing out a potential issue. There have been reports about constant crashes. This is certainly some weird compatibility issue or maybe even a combination of mods.

edit: And the issue was using Mechjeb/Toolbar/Module Manager.

Edited by Temeter

1) If you think MM is crashing the game then it would be better to report in MM Thread.

2) Telling people that mod x is crashing the game without begin sure about it is bad. And no, "I removed it and it works" now is not a proof, even more wihout a log. We had the "MM is crashing things" in the past and in the end it had nothing to do in MM but many users removed because they read it. And they ended up with a broken FAR ...

3) And since I am MM maintainer I can tell you that no MM does not crash with MJ, even in 64 bit and I can also tell you that many people use both at the same time without any problem.

Is it possible to have a "primitive" MechJeb ascent autopilot put in eventually?

I can understand if you don't want to have the player having fully automatic push button, go to orbit and circularize capability from the start of a career/science game; but we should at least have a simple "maintain this heading and angle of attack" autopilot available to us from the start; along with a delta v and TWR calculator.

Nope, starwaster thought i was actually running mods requiring the module manager. But i'm not, the DLL should be completely redundant to my install. Furthermore, his whining about advising people to 'cripple' mod compatiility was completely unnecessary, since i only was trying to help people by pointing out a potential issue. There have been reports about constant crashes. This is certainly some weird compatibility issue or maybe even a combination of mods.

edit: And the issue was using Mechjeb/Toolbar/Module Manager.

I didnt engage you with ad hominem attacks. They dont belong here.

If you really want to help, one thing you can do is submit logs when you run into trouble and let experts go over them. The other is... stop trying to help because you do more harm than good.

Thank you for the MechJeb mod I've enjoyed it very much.

I do have a question, in sandbox mode I see the parts in the assembly building. However when I go to the launch pad, the tab for MechJeb on the right side of the screen is missing. I would appreciate any help or suggestions, thanks.

I'm running KSP v0.24.0.549 with MechJeb v2.3.0.0