[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

Well, I have been having the "parts show up but no menu" problem a bunch of other people are having, here's how I fixed it: I backed up my KSP folder, then deleted it and started with a completely fresh install, then installed mechjeb. Oh hey, it worked.

I had installed some mods right after .24 dropped, so it must have been caused by one of them. I kept adding my mods back one at a time, thinking that one of them was screwing something up and causing the problem. I started to copy mods directly from the backup folder, one at a time, testing between each one, and it kept working. Eventually I had added everything back in and it mysteriously still works. My other install folder has the exact same mods installed and no mechjeb so I have no idea what the problem was/is/it is a mystery. So anybody that's having that problem, try that? Only thing I didn't keep was my savegame.

Because it works fine here where I don't have 20 others mods, half of them not updated and the other half not supported by MJ. But feel free to write you own autopilot or contribute to the dev of MJ in any other way than that post.

Not sure why you have an attitude with me. I also do not have 20 other mods. Was simply stating what issues I was having with this mod. Sorry that I was under the impression this is where I could add my input. Was it maybe the "clearly" part that upset you?

So MJ seems to now be only semi-functional for me.

- The "Delta-V Stats" window gives no information whatsoever in flight. Works just fine in the VAB.

- The "Vessel Info" window displays null values for all fields in flight. Works just fine in the VAB.

- When using the maneuver planner, any option requiring a target fails with messaging indicating that I do not have a target selected. Maneuvers that do not depend on having a target selected in the map work just fine.

- The automatic execution of maneuver nodes does not function at all; all it does is turn off SAS. No warp, no maneuvering, nothing.

- Similarly to the above, auto-warp does not function at all.

- Ascent guidance does not auto-stage.

I am using 2.3.1. I've also tried it with the dev build. The last time I can confirm it worked was the last time I played, which was some months ago, so I'm not sure exactly where it broke.

Mods used: NEAR, Deadly Reentry, Procedural Fairings, RealChute, Kerbal Joint Reinforcement, DebRefund, Coherent Contracts, Aligned Currency Indicator, Science Alert.

EDIT: Using Windows, have tried with both 32- and 64-bit versions. I don't have permission to post attachments, will work on this so I can post the log.

Any ideas? Am I doing something wrong?

Edited by Jackson Mackenzie
Additional info

Not sure why you have the title containing "[Part, 0.24.2]" when many of the functions clearly do not work in the 0.24.2 update. Doesn't correctly execute nodes (fires engines as soon as it lands on the blue mark regardless of node position). Launch to rendezvous just waits for the target to be directly above it then it launches.
Because it works fine here where I don't have 20 others mods, half of them not updated and the other half not supported by MJ. But feel free to write you own autopilot or contribute to the dev of MJ in any other way than that post.
Not sure why you have an attitude with me. I also do not have 20 other mods. Was simply stating what issues I was having with this mod. Sorry that I was under the impression this is where I could add my input. Was it maybe the "clearly" part that upset you?

That's a little beyond input or feedback, it's kind of snarky. Implying that the title shouldnt indicate 0.24.2 compatibility because it's not working for you. That's the only thing that's clear. It works for me. Works for Sarbian. Works for a lot of us.

Maybe the problem is on your end and you need to start providing relevant information such output_log.txt or player.log (if Linux or Mac) but NOT ksp.log. OS and which KSP build (32 or 64 bit if relevant) and also if it's a dev build and which one or if it's the latest version from the OP.

Out of curiosity, is there a way to set mechjeb to fly Brachistocrone (spelling?) trajectories (based on max thrust in stage)?

Sort of. There's an option to intercept at chosen time where you tell it when to burn and when you want to be there. And it will put you there at the chosen time. However, it wont handle braking. Not sure when braking should happen in a brachistichrone trajectory but you need to handle that part.

Also it's up to you to choose a proper burn time for optimal fuel use. that might take trial and error. The intercept option wasnt meant for brach. burns but it can do it if you massage the numbers right.

Edited by Starwaster

So many support requests, so few logs...

Just stopped by to say thanks guys, I appreciate the complexity of this awesome mod and all the hard work that goes into maintaining it. Here and now (0.24.2 + a bunch of other mods) Mechjeb is working just fine.

Thank you so much for this great piece of work!

Does anyone know if integration (or plugins) for FAR and DeadlyReentry are planned or in the works? I'm thinking of ascent guidance, better landing predictions and shallower reentries. I know that I'm not the only one asking for it and I don't want to be a pain in the ass!

I too would love FAR support for landings etc, but the way I understand it there is no easy way to calculate drag forces ahead of time since in FAR, drag varies with orientation. With practice and a little help from mechjeb as to timing of the deorbit burn one can get pretty darn close :-)

Definately a wishlist item, but I'm not expecting progress anytime soon (feel free to correct me if you're in the know)

Besides, manual landings are *fun* or at least Jeb seems to think so.

Being able to specify the re-entry angle on the other hand, that just might be doable...

I'm encountering rather severe "stuttering" (a pause every few seconds) on any vessel with the MechJeb module. It is most visible with actual MechJeb windows open, but occurs even with all closed. I do not recall it being quite so severe prior to 0.24. Has anyone else encountered this, and are there any known fixes? A search of forums revealed very little beyond a post quite some time ago which received no answers.

Check your log for message spam about expired simulation. It may be the fuel sim going into a loop. PC or Mac ? Processor ?

I fixed some of the stutter source a while back, but some seems to remain. The problem is that my PC is quite powerful and those are less visible for me, and easy to track. I wish we had more powerull debugging tool available (a.g. tools are great, but not enought for stutter)

last night i added mechjeb to the 24.2 version found that when i turn Smart SAS to go retrogra or prograde, it does not point int correct direction.

I have also enhanced navball. Is there a fix for this bug?

Not sure why you have the title containing "[Part, 0.24.2]" when many of the functions clearly do not work in the 0.24.2 update. Doesn't correctly execute nodes (fires engines as soon as it lands on the blue mark regardless of node position). Launch to rendezvous just waits for the target to be directly above it then it launches.

I am having the same problem with it executing burn time and nodes correctly. Sometime while trying to rendezvous it will actually guide itself back to kerbin and I have to immediately correct the course. Also sometimes when it actually makes a half decent rendezvous it will sometimes go back and forth, say for instance I set the approach to 300 meters, it will get close and then will go right by it, it won't stop itself. It will then correct itself and over correct and miss it completely again. Then it will just get into this sling shot dance with my space station where it gets close and is coming in too fast and doesn't stop. It will go from 3.4K and come in too fast and zoom right by, back out to 3.4k and back and forth again. :/ very aggravating. My flying skills aren't good enough to rendezvous by myself yet. I can dock, but getting the rendezvous is a pain. I almost quit playing because I spent hours designing my craft to only waste half my night trying to get it close enough to dock. :mad:;.;

Try going to maneuvering planer and setting your Tolerance to 1.0 instead of 0.1 It seams to fix a lot if these issues as with nose chasing at the end of my burns. Sure they are NOT perfect but they are close enough that I am able to get were i want too.

Try going to maneuvering planer and setting your Tolerance to 1.0 instead of 0.1 It seams to fix a lot if these issues as with nose chasing at the end of my burns. Sure they are NOT perfect but they are close enough that I am able to get were i want too.

Thanks! Will try this asap.

Also, did you make your own flags in your signature?

The K-Prize is 'awarded' to those who have made an SSTO. Those who posted an attempt to earn the prize, but had invalidated entries (wings fell off, non-stock engines, etc) they were gatecrashers. Damaske used (or posted about using) a piggybacking plane on a shuttle, which would be a dual-staged plane.

The Key picture was made last night by myself for my company " The Mass Key Shipyards" The K-Prize was for making a valid SSTO shuttle, The GateCrasher one was for a SSTO prototype that I was forced to refill via Hyperedit, And thus made that craft/flight illegal. Both the K-prize icons where not made by myself but there is a link in the K-Prize thread in challenges that will link to them.

I've made both The K-Prize with Midget Beta I, And a Gatecrasher entry with the prototype SSTO craft that ran outa fuel mid-flight. Thus I've grabbed the icons and put em up there.

Waldoo : you uncheck the "Automatic Altitude Turn" box. In automatic mode it uses the minimum between 30km, 85% of the orbit and the atmo end.

xytovl submited a patch that change the maneuver for the maneuver planner and clean up the code (there may be a new maneuver in here too, I lost the list :) )

It's now in the dev build. Have a look, test and report any problem.

MJ2 is working fine for me (dev v270) on 32bit Windows -- just an FYI.

A couple of long-term questions:

-- Has anyone ever given any thought to combining the maneuver rendezvous planner and maneuver rendezvous AP windows (default windows) into a single maneuver window? Because I am super lazy and OH MY GOODNESS the effort required to click that extra check box (or to set up a custom window)....

-- As long as ascent paths have come up... It would be cool if someday there was an ability (even limited) to have finer control over the ascent curve (coughBECAUSEFARcough). E.g. allowing the user to add inflection points by time/stage/altitude to refine the precise ascent path. (vs. the smooth single-curve path that MJ calculates now, which is very mathematically pleasing but which sometimes leads to very bad You Will Not Go Into Space Today results with certain unnamed aerodynamic mods) I'm just going to go ahead and assume that's insanely complex to actually implement....

Thanks for all your work! MJ is the best!

Edited by daver4470