[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

Hey guys,

So I had a brief moment of irritation arranging my Mechjeb windows a moment ago and got to wondering about edge snapping. Some quick googling doesn't find any mention of the idea. So does anyone know if this is something that can be enabled within KSP? Or would it have to be added to each mod individually? Would that even be technically possible with Unity?

If it's possible and would need to be done per mod, does this seem like a worthwhile feature request for Mechjeb? Figure it's not worth asking for it if no one else likes the idea.

Thanks

G

I have one suggestion. Is it possible to add display of longitude and latitude angles in ecliptical coordinates centered in orbited body? They would be useful to adjusting LAN of inclined orbits.

And it would be also nice, if maneuver node editor could show exact orbital elements of orbits after maneuvering nodes and SOI-changes.

Is there any known problems with MechJeb and RSS? It seems I'm getting varying readouts. TWR and Dv both show larger values in the VAB then on the launch pad.

And another thing.. the ascent guidance has a significant delay with "Turn start." I'll set it for 1km yet MJ doesn't start pitching until 3.5.

And another thing.. the ascent guidance has a significant delay with "Turn start." I'll set it for 1km yet MJ doesn't start pitching until 3.5.

Turn off Corrective Steering. I don't fully understand the criteria behind its decision making, but with CS on it will almost certainly delay the gravity turn. Maybe it's right to do so and maybe it's not. I've noticed it tends to do so when my designated flight plan is going to result in a flight path that dips too far too soon. So it may be that it's reacting to something that you just haven't seen.

If you feel that you HAVE to have it on, then keep it off until after both rolling and pitching are done

Grokit : nope. as far as I know there is no easy way to do it with the current Unity UI system, so this would be lot of work for a marginal use.

On UI front I'd rather spend some time adding something to scale the UI (since I got a 4k monitor and now need a microsope to read MJ UI)

Virtualgenius : not yet. it's on the endless list of things to do.

I have one suggestion. Is it possible to add display of longitude and latitude angles in ecliptical coordinates centered in orbited body? They would be useful to adjusting LAN of inclined orbits.

And it would be also nice, if maneuver node editor could show exact orbital elements of orbits after maneuvering nodes and SOI-changes.

Can you clarify the longitude and latitude need ? How are those different from the one you can already add ?

And yes, displaying some info (Pe, Pa, closest encounter) would be nice. I ll have a look

Turn off Corrective Steering. I don't fully understand the criteria behind its decision making, but with CS on it will almost certainly delay the gravity turn. Maybe it's right to do so and maybe it's not. I've noticed it tends to do so when my designated flight plan is going to result in a flight path that dips too far too soon. So it may be that it's reacting to something that you just haven't seen.

If you feel that you HAVE to have it on, then keep it off until after both rolling and pitching are done

Ah I see. Thanks Starwaster I'll try that. As for my other inquiry about the readouts?

Ah I see. Thanks Starwaster I'll try that. As for my other inquiry about the readouts?

No idea. I've seen that myself but didn't think of it as an RSS issue because RSS doesn't do anything that would affect delta V calculations. (unless one were specifically doing calculations on a rocket's simulated ascent and were taking into account drag/gravity losses, but MJ doesn't do that. As far as I know it's just doing standard calculations using Tsiolkovsky's Rocket Equation. (twice, once with SL Isp taken from the engine configs and once with the vacuum Isp)

Maybe it's a Real Fuels issue.

The reason is the following. Corrective steering tries to control the direction of your velocity so that you fly along the given ascent path. But should it use orbital velocity or surface velocity? It ends up using a weighted average of the two that shifts over the course of the flight, so that it starts out controlling surface velocity and gradually switches over to using orbital velocity. But orbital velocity already starts somewhat "pitched over" so this can cause MJ to seem to delay the pitchover past the given "turn start" altitude, since it feels that it is already somewhat pitched over.

Grokit : nope. as far as I know there is no easy way to do it with the current Unity UI system, so this would be lot of work for a marginal use.

On UI front I'd rather spend some time adding something to scale the UI (since I got a 4k monitor and now need a microsope to read MJ UI)

Ah. Life is hard sometimes. ;)

Thanks for the info. Wasn't a serious gripe anyway. And MJ is still perfectly readable on my humble little 1080p monitor. :D

Edited by Grokit

Gaalidas: I ll look into it, but I guess they just multiply the text style scale.

It should be easy to do for MJ since it create a custom skin, so I just have to multiply the a lot of value in the skin config. Big piece of code but easy to do.

Well... gee wiz. The mass goes from 503t in the VAB to 575t on the pad. Did this fella by chance find a solution?

... I run into this too, and it never occurred to me to see if the MASS of the craft was changing. Maybe it's a realfuels thing, I see it most severely when using LH2/LOx combo on the launch stage.

Can you clarify the longitude and latitude need ? How are those different from the one you can already add ?

They are relative to rotating surface of the planet. Of course latitude is usable as long as there are not axial tilts in KSP. I need coordinates relative to inertial coordinates. But actually I need more that information of maneuver node. I have made some own software and use Arrowstar's Trajectory Optmization Tool. They use standard variables in celestial mechanics. Of course it is possible to convert them relative to angle of prograde, but it takes time, gives possibilities to errors and is annoying when repeated several times per gaming session.

So, I would appreciate if maneuver node editor gave UT-time of node (in seconds), angular coordinates (referenced to world coordinates translated to center of current center body) and all orbital elements (semimajor axis, inclination, eccentricity, longitude of ascending node, argument of periapsis, mean anomaly at given time).

{RESOLVED}

Clean Install and made sure every dependency was up to date and rolled back to MJ #321

Hi I have a small problem when using the B9 Sabre Engines I am using Mechjeb Dev 322 and Near and the MJ plugin for Near, I fly the B9 Heinlen to around 20000m then hit the ascent guidance which then takes over flying the SSTO to the designated altitude the sabres switch from air breathing to closed cycle, MJ shuts them down to coast per normal but when it comes time to fire the engines up and circularize it doesn't restart the engine even though I get the burn cycle and time, engines do not restart automatically. I built a basic SSTO with a rapier engine and it works fine performs the typical steps to get to a 75km orbit I then used the same craft with a B9 Sabre engine and it fails on the cirularize part of the auto pilot.t I think this happened before MJ couldnt recognize the engine after it switched from air breathing to rocket engine.

Any help gratefully appreciated

VG

Edited by Virtualgenius

Hot damn! That looks like the porkchop plotter from TriggerAU's Transfer Window Planner, which is itself based on AlexMoon's web tool. But the addition of automatic node creation is fantastic!

A couple of questions on how it works:

Does it use a proper Lambert solver and take inclination and eccentricity into account?

Can you choose a non-optimal transfer by point-and-click on the plot (looks like it, but not sure)?

Does it automatically use your current orbit as the initial orbit in the calcs?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions, but this is a very exciting feature addition.