[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

I know someone may have mentioned it in past posts but I have just noticed it in 0.90 and that is uncontrollable wobble. Also it seems this may be a stock bug or that mechjeb screws with the new pilot abilities. First I tried using the pilot to point to prograd and the craft would just oscillate back and forth through the prograde vector. Using mechjeb it settled down and locked on the to prograde vector. The next thing I noticed is once entering the atmosphere I decoupled the engine and was left with only the command pod but again it was moving around kind of twitching in a uncontrollable fashoin. Turning off sas did not do anything but disabling the torque on the pob fixed it so that it pointed the way it sould going through the air. I have only noticed this in the new 0.90 version.

I know someone may have mentioned it in past posts but I have just noticed it in 0.90 and that is uncontrollable wobble. Also it seems this may be a stock bug or that mechjeb screws with the new pilot abilities. First I tried using the pilot to point to prograd and the craft would just oscillate back and forth through the prograde vector. Using mechjeb it settled down and locked on the to prograde vector. The next thing I noticed is once entering the atmosphere I decoupled the engine and was left with only the command pod but again it was moving around kind of twitching in a uncontrollable fashoin. Turning off sas did not do anything but disabling the torque on the pob fixed it so that it pointed the way it sould going through the air. I have only noticed this in the new 0.90 version.

You're describing a fairly well known stock issue. If you use the KSP 0.90 pilot feature, it wobbles. It's not accurate at all. It's not a MechJeb issue.

I'm having issues with the Mechjeb maneuver node. It mainly happens when transferring to another planet, the problem is that the node keeps jumping, so Mechjeb can't figure out which way to face the ship. I noticed this in 0.25 as well but haven't been able to figure it out since. Does anyone else have this issue?

I'm having issues with the Mechjeb maneuver node. It mainly happens when transferring to another planet, the problem is that the node keeps jumping, so Mechjeb can't figure out which way to face the ship. I noticed this in 0.25 as well but haven't been able to figure it out since. Does anyone else have this issue?

smae issue here, it did go away when I arrived at Minmus. I think it is due to a new stock implementation of not being awarded the nodes in tracking station. Now my question to add is this....I imported the .25 game save and I dont know if im subject to those new policies including the new Kerbal abilities feature. hmmmmmmmmmm..............

smae issue here, it did go away when I arrived at Minmus. I think it is due to a new stock implementation of not being awarded the nodes in tracking station. Now my question to add is this....I imported the .25 game save and I dont know if im subject to those new policies including the new Kerbal abilities feature. hmmmmmmmmmm..............

Make a new 0.90 save for testing.

Was the orbit you where on perfect ? (eccentricity of 0, or Pe=Pa)

That's what I found to be the culprit early on in my MechJeb use -- perfection isn't always the best. I stagger my PE and AP by a half-klick or better and the nodes settle right down.

Kowgan : not it should work even better without atmo. Is that with RSS ? MJ may not use some of RSS info :huh:

Nope, not using RSS.

*A.D.E.P.T. 1.0

AdvancedAnimator 1.1.1

*Black Tipped Nosecone 1.0

CrowdSourced Science 1.3.0

Distant Object 1.5.0

Environmental Visual Enhancements 7-4

Image Viewer 0.2.2

In-Flight Waypoints 1.1.1

*IP-20 Ion Engine

**Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter System 4.09

Klockheed Martian Gimbal 3.0.1.0

Klockheed Martian Space Shuttle Engines 2.1.3

MechJeb 2.4.2.0

Module Manager 2.5.6

NavBall Docking Alignment Indicator 4.0

PlanetShine 0.2.2.1

Procedural Fairings 3.11

Protractor 2.4.15

RealChute 1.2.6.2

SCANsat 8.1

StationScience 1.4

Stock Bug Fix Modules 0.1.7

Toolbar 1.7.8

*One-part mods.

**From KSOS, I'm using just one single part: boosterkso.cfg

Basically it needs at least 3 liquid fueled engines that are not aligned, I used this to test it:

http://i.imgur.com/hW1NL7yl.jpg

craft file

It works with solid rockets as long as the main throttle is high enough to produce enough torque, and changing the throttle limit won't do anything since it works by calculating new values depending on the commanded torque.

That works, despite the "fail" warning when engaging differential throttle on the pad. It will even make it to a 71 KM orbit.

You've also managed to create another craft that MechJeb cannot land. (Or at least cannot land from a 71 KM orbit.) It flails about, twisting and turning, making erroneous "corrections" in every direction except the one that will take it down to KSC. The last time I tried it, I gave up on landing guidance, used SASS to aim retrograde and did a manual burn to get the end of the trajectory close to KSC. Missed it by that much. *sploosh* I let it flounder too long, wasting fuel, so it ran out before it could correct course enough. If I had Hyperedit on .90 I would have refilled the tanks to see how/if it could have landed.

I tried moving all leftover fuel into the center tank, which did enable it to turn quicker. I also tried turning off differential throttle once it had dropped all the tanks. I noticed that in the craft's final configuration, with differential throttle on, the craft would pitch or yaw under part thrust as though it wasn't balanced. With that setting off it was more stable.

Well, now to update from build 376 to 378. Hooray for editable ascent guidance force roll degree! :)

Edited by Galane

Just thought I'd drop in to say thank you to everyone who had a part in creating and maintaining this mod. Works perfectly. Have used it for a long time with no issues. It's also taught me how to play the game without mechjeb to some degree. Even those pesky longitude of ascending node burns. Definitely useful for routine orbits, rendezvous, docking, and landing.

Hope you all have a happy new year. Thanks again!

Just thought I'd drop in to say thank you to everyone who had a part in creating and maintaining this mod. Works perfectly. Have used it for a long time with no issues. It's also taught me how to play the game without mechjeb to some degree. Even those pesky longitude of ascending node burns. Definitely useful for routine orbits, rendezvous, docking, and landing.

Hope you all have a happy new year. Thanks again!

Yeah, My time using it has definitely made me more capable without it but I wonder how I got along without it before I found it. I actually managed to fly to Eve without it and was in a close orbit.... and I didn't immediately equate the purple glow flooding the cockpit with being 'in atmo'. My first attempt to stabilize my orbit was not enough 'cause I didn't realize that Eve's atmo went all the way out to 97km. My second attempt was a hard burn to break out of orbit and I exhausted most of my fuel and ended up in solar orbit with no way to get home. I had to send a rescue mission to get them home. Ah those were the days...

@kowgan it has happened in a new save. like i said, i think something is hiding in the code of either mechjeb or my persistent or both but, i lack the skills and knowledge to find it, which is why i keep coming back here :(

Sarbian could speak more knowledgeably to this, but he'd need a log file and perhaps more. You're have such strange errors I'm going to suggest a complete rebuild. It's a pain to do so, but it could remove some of the issues. A log file examination could narrow things down to avoid this.

A complete rebuild means:

1. Wipe everything and get KSP back to stock. If you have it from Steam, wipe all files and ask Steam to download and verify the files after download.

2. Get all your mods in the most current versions. As well, skim the last few pages of the mods' threads to see what issues they may have. Then install them.

3. Start a new game.

4. Rebuild your spacecraft from scratch. Previous .craft files could have artifacts that can persist in causing problems even with everything else rebuilt.

Jacke logs and persistent save have already been proffered. Page 853 post 8526. If a rebuild is what i need to do so be it, but before i go to that extreme i would like someone with coding skills (sarbian or r4m0n seeing as its happening with mechjeb) tho the issue is starting to crop up less but has not fully dissipated to see if something shows in those files. Thx again

Are there any plans to integrate this with the pilot system? I would love to see two paths, one for mechjeb to be automated (The device/capsule) and the other to rely on the skill of a pilot (leveling them up unlocks more parts of Mechjeb).

I thought that was already happening organically. AFAIK, MJ can't even see the various nodes until unlocked in pilot and tracking station? Or is it just tracking station?

I've just started with KSP and just installed the MechJeb mod. In sandbox I can see the module, but in science mode I cannot. As recommended earlier in the thread I edit the part.cfg so that the unlock is set to start. Could anyone please assist me so that I can figure out what I'm missing to use MechJeb in science mode?

@Leonastas: Welcome to the forums! I hope you enjoy KSP for many, many years! :)

As for your issue: My only guess is that you've somehow missed something during editing the part.cfg, and it still considers the Tech Tree as a requirement for your MJ parts.

Are there currently any known compatability issues with mech jeb? I seem to only get a working smartass every once in a while. A lot of the time it seems like MJ doesn't realize how my torque or rcs thrust is available, and just makes the wimpiest little attempts to correct my attitude. In these cases I have to try to use the RT flight computer instead, though I like MJ's interface better, not to mention that it is local control.

@Leonastas: Welcome to the forums! I hope you enjoy KSP for many, many years! :)

As for your issue: My only guess is that you've somehow missed something during editing the part.cfg, and it still considers the Tech Tree as a requirement for your MJ parts.

Thanks for your reply. I could post my cfg files somewhere if you'd be willing to look at them. I don't think I'm missing anything, but a second set of eyeballs always helps.

Are there currently any known compatability issues with mech jeb? I seem to only get a working smartass every once in a while. A lot of the time it seems like MJ doesn't realize how my torque or rcs thrust is available, and just makes the wimpiest little attempts to correct my attitude. In these cases I have to try to use the RT flight computer instead, though I like MJ's interface better, not to mention that it is local control.

Works great for me.

Check the Attitude Adjustment window. If 'Use stock SAS' is enabled, disable it. It works great in atmosphere but not so great above a certain altitude (in the mid-high 60s is when it starts to crap out)

Also How much effort have you put into balancing your RCS? If your RCS is unbalanced then enabling the RCS Balancer can help. (but it requires more than 1 set of RCS. Example: a set of 4 aft of the Center of Mass (CoM) and a set of 4 forward of CoM)

If neither of those help then submit your output_log.txt file. (player.log if Linux or Mac). You might be getting errors that are hampering you.

Hi Sarbian

I have a request would it be possible for the spaceplane guidance autoland feature to automatically disengage the minute it touches down it seems to stay on even after you have landed, also it doesnt seem to take into account the undulations or height changes in the ground while its approaching. I have been using MJ since I started playing and I would say its truely awesome and the work you put into it is amazing and I greatly appreciate your efforts.

Happy New year to you

Thanks for your reply. I could post my cfg files somewhere if you'd be willing to look at them. I don't think I'm missing anything, but a second set of eyeballs always helps.

Sure, post them here. I might not be the best guy to ask to, but I'm definitely willing to help as much as I can. And if I can't, I'm sure someone smarter than me will find out the problem. :)

Sure, post them here. I might not be the best guy to ask to, but I'm definitely willing to help as much as I can. And if I can't, I'm sure someone smarter than me will find out the problem. :)

I don't think I can attach them, but should I pastebin them or paste it into a code block or something?

Works great for me.

Check the Attitude Adjustment window. If 'Use stock SAS' is enabled, disable it. It works great in atmosphere but not so great above a certain altitude (in the mid-high 60s is when it starts to crap out)

Also How much effort have you put into balancing your RCS? If your RCS is unbalanced then enabling the RCS Balancer can help. (but it requires more than 1 set of RCS. Example: a set of 4 aft of the Center of Mass (CoM) and a set of 4 forward of CoM)

If neither of those help then submit your output_log.txt file. (player.log if Linux or Mac). You might be getting errors that are hampering you.

It's not a ship design issue. I'm talking MJ sas works on one play of the same craft, then struggles the next time. Same craft, same variables. It's a pain having to exit ksp and re-load hoping MJ has sorted itself out. Sometimes it doesn't even try to turn me, it just feebly bobles a bit. Again, to re-iterate, RT flight computer can send signals and make changes no problem, as can a pilot with skills and regular old atmospheric control/gimbaling of engines/rcs/sas. Bug annoyingly appears at random. will start taking notes on conditions when it occurs.

EDIT: first instance of bug after switch vessels. Happened to be from one identical scan-sat craft to another, it's like MJ is asleep.

Edited by Errol