[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

I tried to add more clamps to the ship that I knew was having the clamp problem, didn't help.

Edit: After I removed one pair of clamps (which was actually getting in the way anyhow), it works fine when autostage is on, wierd.

Edit2: Actually no, it's still doing it :P

I accidentally managed to repro your problem once.

I was manually time-warping while the autopilot was engaged for a rendezvous countdown. Autowarp was off. Next thing there was a bang and the clamps were gone.

There's something about it that makes me think they are still there somewhere, maybe as debris in the world. Somewhere. (the planet rotates pretty fast so if they somehow got dephysicalized and unstuck, they could be anywhere...)

Sarbian,

Is there a possible way for the LGAP to grab the coordinates of a contract landing target? As in contracts that want surface measurements of temperature and seismic activity?

It should not be too hard. I'll try to not forget about it

As for the landing, does anybody know how to fix the fact that it's very inaccurate when landing in atmosphere with FAR?

There's an additional dll to put in with MechJeb for use with FAR. There's another one for use with NEAR. Dunno where to find them because I don't use either of those mods and the forum search still only finds threads, not individual posts. Plod your way back through this thread and you'll probably find links to them.

Edit: Here they are. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/60933-Optional-MechJeb-Modules-for-FAR-NEAR-km_Gimbal-2-3-(Jan-7)

Edited by Galane

...and the forum search still only finds threads, not individual posts.

If you scroll down to the bottom of the advanced search page you will find an option to switch between showing the results as posts or threads...

There's an additional dll to put in with MechJeb for use with FAR. There's another one for use with NEAR. Dunno where to find them because I don't use either of those mods and the forum search still only finds threads, not individual posts. Plod your way back through this thread and you'll probably find links to them.

Edit: Here they are. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/60933-Optional-MechJeb-Modules-for-FAR-NEAR-km_Gimbal-2-3-(Jan-7)

I use it, but it doesn't help.

can you teach autopilot one burn orbiting?

I'm sure they could program it. It's just figuring out the math involved. But I don't think it would be efficient seeing that you'd need to launch rather shallow, or burn radial-in at higher altitudes.

I use it, but it doesn't help.

Afaik it helps with less crazy control surfaces, but can't do anything about landing predictions.

I tried the Trajectories mod without great success.

Best bet is to wait until sarbian finds time to implement it properly. And he might want to wait for the stock sero overhaul anyway to avoid doing work twice (aka rewriting the landing module twice).

Does anyone else have problems with the Ascent Guidance mode and gravity turns?

I'm using dev build 385 with FAR 14.6 and the latest MJ FAR plugin build.

The rocket will only start its gravity turn after I hit the "T" (SAS) key while the AG autopilot is engaged. This makes the "SAS" icon flash for a split second and after that, everything works as it should.

Without hitting the "T" key, the rocket will do a vertical ascent and then simply pick up its entire orbital velocity near the apoapsis.

It's almost as if MJ is fighting against SAS for control unless I intervene...

- Edit:

Does MJ automatically check for stage deltaV and can it override user input into AG mode if it detects that a weak stage sould better be fired outside of the atmosphere?

Edited by Ph34rb0t

The rocket will only start its gravity turn after I hit the "T" (SAS) key while the AG autopilot is engaged. This makes the "SAS" icon flash for a split second and after that, everything works as it should.

Without hitting the "T" key, the rocket will do a vertical ascent and then simply pick up its entire orbital velocity near the apoapsis.

- Edit:

Does MJ automatically check for stage deltaV and can it override user input into AG mode if it detects that a weak stage sould better be fired outside of the atmosphere?

I have no such problem with Ascent Guidance. What are your Ascent Autopilot settings at? Maybe you should post a screenshot of it with the ascent path editor open so we can see your settings at a glance.

And no, MJ doesn't do anything like that with delta-v

- Edit:

Can't confirm either in a quick test.

- Edit:

no problems with AG, works just fine

Haven't had that problem myself.

What mods do you have? Maybe theres a conflict somewhere.

With the newest dev version (385) (and I would assume all versions since the feature was added) solar panels are deploying through fairings when leaving the atmosphere. This is while using standard maneuver node planner (I have not yet unlocked Ascent Autopilot in the tech tree).

Would it be possible to add code to detect fairings for the solar panel deployment (or have some other workaround)?

EDIT: This happens even with MechJeb off (no windows or modules running, light is red).

Edited by Hektos

With the newest dev version (385) (and I would assume all versions since the feature was added) solar panels are deploying through fairings when leaving the atmosphere. This is while using standard maneuver node planner (I have not yet unlocked Ascent Autopilot in the tech tree).

Would it be possible to add code to detect fairings for the solar panel deployment (or have some other workaround)?

EDIT: This happens even with MechJeb off (no windows or modules running, light is red).

Same here, they'll also deploy when on the launchpad. It happens with the ascent autopilot as well.

Without tapping "T":

http://i.imgur.com/eaosclK.png

With tapping "T":

http://i.imgur.com/taR1V51.png

Modlist (only those including .dlls or relevant to MJ):

Toolbar

AJE

BDAnimation

Chatterer

CIT - BAM

CIT - Govfunding

DDSLoader

DeadlyReentry

DistantObject

DMagic Orbital Science

EditorExtensions

EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

FerramAerospaceResearch

FinalFrontier

Firespitter - DLL

FirstPersonEVA

FreeEVA

HullCameraVDS

JSI - RPM

KAS

KerbalConstructionTime

KerbalIspDifficultyScaler

KerbalJointReinforcement

NavInstruments

KerbQuake

Klockheed_Martian_Gimbal

ksp-advanced-flybywire

KSP-AVC

KSPAPIExt

MechJeb2

Mechjeb - KMGimbal3

Mechjeb - FAR

Mechjeb - RPM

Mechjeb_Command_Pods.cfg

ModuleManager.2.5.6.dll

NavBallDockingAlignmentIndicator

Pilot Assistant

PlanetShine

ProbeControlRoom

ProceduralFairings

ProceduralParts

RealChute

S.A.V.E.

SCANsat

ScienceAlert

ShipManifest

SmokeScreen

Snacks

StageRecovery

StockBugFixModules

TextureReplacer

Trajectories

KerbalAlarmClock

Landertron

- Edit:

Regarding the solar panels: The autodeployment stopped after I disabled the option in the Ascent Autopilot. The panels would deploy whether I had the AG AP enabled or not.

Edited by Ph34rb0t

@ph34rob0t: What version of mechjeb do you have? Whether dev build or not, because the ascent path editor looks different from what I have. The automatic altitude turn slider isn't there on yours and for me, the turn start and end altitudes aren't editable.

EDIT: NVM, apparently that's what the toggle button there does.

Edited by smjjames

The ascent AP has a new checkbox that will enable/disable that (even when the ascent AP is not running). I ll add something more obvious later.

@ph34rob0t: What version of mechjeb do you have? Whether dev build or not, because the ascent path editor looks different from what I have. The automatic altitude turn slider isn't there on yours and for me, the turn start and end altitudes aren't editable.

Click the box next to "Automatic Altitude Turn"... ;)

(This is standard behaviour for quite a while.)

See my edit, I didn't even realize that it did that til now, somehow, lol XD

Well you ninja'd me. :)

- Edit:

I've tried to take a peek into the debug menu and output_log.txt to see if I can find something related to MechJeb there, but without any success.

If this bug isn't caused by another installed mod, can't Mechjeb simply be made to automatically toggle SAS on and off in future versions as a safety measure?

Edited by Ph34rb0t

Ah, I think I have the source for the weird SAS behaviour pinpointed: Pilot Assistant.

It does enforce its own stablization algorithm by default and subsequently clashes with Mechjeb.

Nope, it wasn't Pilot Assistant. This is still happening.

Does MechJeb clash with 0.90's pilot experience stuff?

I'm also not using the cumbersome AR202, but a MM config file that adds MJ to any "command" type part.

My test vessel from the sceenshots also "only" uses a probe core.

The MM config file looks like this and has been working perfectly until...well, I don't know...the 0.90 upgrade?

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand],!MODULE[MechJebCore]]:Final

{

MODULE

{

name = MechJebCore

}

}

Edited by Ph34rb0t

@Ph34rb0t: The code looks fine for me. I use something pretty similar, and it works just fine.

[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand],!MODULE[MechJebCore]]:Final
{
MODULE
{
name = MechJebCore
MechJebLocalSettings
{
MechJebModuleCustomWindowEditor {unlockTechs = flightControl}
MechJebModuleSmartASS {unlockTechs = flightControl}
MechJebModuleManeuverPlanner {unlockTechs = advFlightControl}
MechJebModuleNodeEditor {unlockTechs = advFlightControl}
MechJebModuleTranslatron {unlockTechs = advFlightControl}
MechJebModuleWarpHelper {unlockTechs = advFlightControl}
MechJebModuleAttitudeAdjustment {unlockTechs = advFlightControl}
MechJebModuleThrustWindow {unlockTechs = advFlightControl}
MechJebModuleRCSBalancerWindow {unlockTechs = advFlightControl}
MechJebModuleRoverWindow {unlockTechs = fieldScience}
MechJebModuleAscentGuidance {unlockTechs = unmannedTech}
MechJebModuleLandingGuidance {unlockTechs = unmannedTech}
MechJebModuleSpaceplaneGuidance {unlockTechs = unmannedTech}
MechJebModuleDockingGuidance {unlockTechs = advUnmanned}
MechJebModuleRendezvousAutopilotWindow {unlockTechs = advUnmanned}
MechJebModuleRendezvousGuidance {unlockTechs = advUnmanned}
}
}
}
@PART

The difference is that it respects the Tech Tree.

Can I assume you have the latest version of MM?

I've disabled every mod that could influence on flight behaviour or auto-flight (including MJ) and still get SAS-like behaviour after starting a flight, but without an illuminated SAS indicator. Pressing "T" once does nothing visually, pressing "T" a second time puts me into default SAS mode.

Must be a stock bug after all...

Can I assume you have the latest version of MM?

Yup. 2.5.6.

Your config is much nicer than mine, so it's time for an upgrade, I guess. Thanks for posting it! :)