[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

Here's an output_log that will hopefully show some reason why the latest Stock Drag fix fouls up Landing Guidance. http://partsbyemc.com/pub/output_log.zip

I deleted SDF and it landed just fine. So I deleted the log, put SDF back, popped my Stock Lander 1 orbit with HyperEdit (launching it normally makes no difference) and got the above log. I ended it after Landing Guidance decided it had to make a major change in orbit inclination with a long burn, then flip around and wobble around while making little sputs with the engine.

Question about the rover autopilot: Is there a way to get MJ to hit the break when you go over your speed limit? Throwing the rover wheels into reverse when your even at a slight downgrade doesn't cut it. Its not long before you accelerate to lethal speeds.

Ph34rb0t : do you have the "use stock SAS" enabled in the attitude control window ? If yes then try without it.

I'd sure like to know why this turn on by default for some...

Foxster : you can find that with the change log. release 2.4.2 is #369

http://jenkins.mumech.com/job/MechJeb2/changes

Right : I did not write that part so I don't know. If Bloodyrain2k is around he may reply.

Edited by sarbian

Is there a way to inject commands into MechJeb? I am pretty proficient (by now) with C#, so I would / could write a bridge between SerialIO and MechJeb2.

I want to build an DSKY into to my control panel ( see Apollo Guidance Computer, and dream of pushing buttons for "AUTO" "CIRCULARIZE", "SET TARGET", "AUTO" "TRANSFER" and so on :D

You need to get a reference to the active MJ on a ship

MechJebCore mjcore = vessel.GetMasterMechJeb();

And then get reference to some of the modules. For example for the SASS.

MechJebModuleSmartASS mjSmartAss = mjcore.GetComputerModule<MechJebModuleSmartASS>();

From there it is just a matter of setting the right thing and calling the right method :

mjSmartAss.target = MechJebModuleSmartASS.Target.KILLROT;
mjSmartAss.Engage();

You need to get a reference to the active MJ on a ship

MechJebCore mjcore = vessel.GetMasterMechJeb();

And then get reference to some of the modules. For example for the SASS.

MechJebModuleSmartASS mjSmartAss = mjcore.GetComputerModule<MechJebModuleSmartASS>();

From there it is just a matter of setting the right thing and calling the right method :

mjSmartAss.target = MechJebModuleSmartASS.Target.KILLROT;
mjSmartAss.Engage();

Thank you, I'll experiment a bit over the weekend and bug you with more questions :)

Here's an output_log that will hopefully show some reason why the latest Stock Drag fix fouls up Landing Guidance..

There is no 'latest' Stock Drag Fix.

It does the same thing it's always done since version 1.0

Functionally it has not changed since then

Hmm, that's weird. I haven't checked, but maybe the Stock BugFix Module has something to fix it?

I already have SBFM installed.

Maybe it's the source for some problems...?

In any case, I got that config file from hazens1, once I asked a similar question here. So, kudos go for him. :)

In that case, thanks to you both. :D

Ph34rb0t : do you have the "use stock SAS" enabled in the attitude control window ? If yes then try without it.

I'd sure like to know why this turn on by default for some...

I've tried it with or without "Use stock SAS". It doesn't make a difference. But Mechjeb doesn't seem to be the culprit as I also get this behaviour whitout MJ being installed at all.

What about implementing a single SAS toggle cycle into the Ascent AP whenever the "Engage Autopilot" button is pressed?

It wouldn't harm people who do not have this problem, but it would provide an easy fix for those who have.

- - - Updated - - -

- Edit:

It seems to be caused by AFBW 1.4.4!

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/95022-0-90-AFBW-v1-4-6-%28Joystick-controller-mod-SAS-bug-fixed!%29?p=1639637&viewfull=1#post1639637

Well, case closed, I guess. Sorry for the stir-up here!

When we release the version is updated in the Dev branch and then the Dev branch is merged in the main branch (when I'm awake and don't mess up). That's why you see the the "Preparing" in the dev log.

idea if you don't think this is too automated ;):

Maneuvre that puts one of the apsides over a certain point on the orbital body, showing a marker like for the landing guidance.

This would be used for setting up stationary orbits over specific points (e.g. for use with Remotetech to establish a KEO constellation of comsats)

Anyway, huge thanks for Mechjeb. I do manual courses a lot, but MJ adds a lot for those times when you just want to get things done.

Edited by CorBlimey

idea if you don't think this is too automated ;):

Maneuvre that puts one of the apsides over a certain point on the orbital body, showing a marker like for the landing guidance.

This would be used for setting up stationary orbits over specific points (e.g. for use with Remotetech to establish a KEO constellation of comsats)

Anyway, huge thanks for Mechjeb. I do manual courses a lot, but MJ adds a lot for those times when you just want to get things done.

This already kinda exists. Change inclination and Change Surface Longitude of Apsis.

The ascent AP has a new checkbox that will enable/disable that (even when the ascent AP is not running). I ll add something more obvious later.

Ah I see, I think the problem then is that I have not yet unlocked that in the tech tree ;)

There is no 'latest' Stock Drag Fix.

It does the same thing it's always done since version 1.0

Functionally it has not changed since then

I did a clean setup of .90 with no mods other than MechJeb dev build 385, HyperEdit and Stock Drag Fix 1.1. No ModuleManager, using the AR202. Started a new game. Result? Exactly the same flailing around from Landing Guidance. If I leave that setup exactly the same except for removing Stock Drag Fix, Landing Guidance works properly.

I also tried Stock Drag Fix 1.0, both on my playing setup and on the clean setup. Exact same problem.

Then I did it again, but without Hyperedit and launched ships from KSC instead of popping them to orbit with HyperEdit. Results exactly the same. MechJeb dev build 385 can't land on Kerbin when the only other mod present is Stock Drag Fix.

Thus it must be that Landing Guidance in recent builds of MechJeb is having *some problem* with Stock Drag Fix. It could be an issue with KSP .90, though *sometimes* Landing Guidance would go crazy like this in .25 with SDF installed. But in .90 for me it does it every time with every ship trying to land with an atmosphere, as long as I have SDF installed.

Launches work great with SDF, much better than without due to using a lot less fuel.

If the logs don't show what the problem is, that just makes it more 'interesting' for Starwaster and Sarbian to figure out what the cause is when it can't be some other mod because the problem happens when their mods are the only two mods installed.

Is there a way to have Landing Guidance log its maneuvers so you can see all the wild turning and thrusting its doing?

Forgive my relative newness if there is a simple workaround for this but...

Many of my Mechjeb controlled burns (Ascent Guidance, etc) end with a wobbly bit where the reticule ends of behind the ship. The craft then is spun around for the last couple of dv or so. Not a problem with a little ship but for a behemoth this can take ages.

I'm guessing a ship redesign with the COM shifted about might help but if MJ completed a burn with a more gentle throttle-off would that not help?

As cool as the solar panel autodeploy is, can there not be an option to turn this off? I ask this because if one is putting a solar array module up in a shuttle cargo bay, it's not going to end well!

As cool as the solar panel autodeploy is, can there not be an option to turn this off? I ask this because if one is putting a solar array module up in a shuttle cargo bay, it's not going to end well!
There's an option to turn it on/off on Ascent Guidance. I suppose it might be better in Utilities.

Ah right. Yeah, I just read that in the thread. I haven't unlocked ascent guidance yet.

Really liking the new Smart ASS SURF mode. Using the + - to adjust heading is really smooth.

Ah yes, so much functionality - so little documentation.

I did a clean setup of .90 with no mods other than MechJeb dev build 385, HyperEdit and Stock Drag Fix 1.1. No ModuleManager, using the AR202. Started a new game. Result? Exactly the same flailing around from Landing Guidance. If I leave that setup exactly the same except for removing Stock Drag Fix, Landing Guidance works properly.

I also tried Stock Drag Fix 1.0, both on my playing setup and on the clean setup. Exact same problem.

Then I did it again, but without Hyperedit and launched ships from KSC instead of popping them to orbit with HyperEdit. Results exactly the same. MechJeb dev build 385 can't land on Kerbin when the only other mod present is Stock Drag Fix.

Thus it must be that Landing Guidance in recent builds of MechJeb is having *some problem* with Stock Drag Fix. It could be an issue with KSP .90, though *sometimes* Landing Guidance would go crazy like this in .25 with SDF installed. But in .90 for me it does it every time with every ship trying to land with an atmosphere, as long as I have SDF installed.

Launches work great with SDF, much better than without due to using a lot less fuel.

If the logs don't show what the problem is, that just makes it more 'interesting' for Starwaster and Sarbian to figure out what the cause is when it can't be some other mod because the problem happens when their mods are the only two mods installed.

Is there a way to have Landing Guidance log its maneuvers so you can see all the wild turning and thrusting its doing?

Have you tried it with FAR? Non-atmosphere landings are absolutely perfect, but mechjeb does horrible with atmosphere landings as far as accuracy goes.

Have you tried it with FAR? Non-atmosphere landings are absolutely perfect, but mechjeb does horrible with atmosphere landings as far as accuracy goes.

How is that an answer when his sole complaint is about the accuracy of atmospheric landings in the first place?