[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

Mine did something, but that something was trying to do TMI at Munset rather than rise.

Another issue: There is no \'abort\' function for the auto landing. I accidentally hit land at target rather than select target and had no way to save the mission. This also prevents you from refining the final landing site manually.

Mine just kept orbiting kerbin.

R4mon - question:

I\'ve been one of the few ppl that have messed with the 'period' stat in the orbital information (v1.8.4) and I\'m either misunderstanding it\'s meaning or the calculation is incorrect. I\'m betting on the first option!!

I have been predicting periods and actually measuring them in-game and my numbers don\'t match that in mechjeb. Is the period an approximation? Do I have no clue what it means? I spent much time on rails, would that affect the calculation? From the online manual:

Period

The time taken to complete one orbit along the currently projected path

What can you tell me about this calculation? Cheers.

All I can say is that the period comes straight out of the game Orbit class, I don\'t do any calculation over it.

I\'d guess anything wrong with it is based on the rotation of the bodies, in either your or the game\'s side.

Regarding the transfer-to-moons issue, for me, when using the Rendezvous Module, it borks up the UI, turning the MechJeb windows invisible (as well as the dev console after a few seconds). The output log shows spammed reference errors.

First to show up is bunches of these:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at MuMech.MechJebModuleOrbitInfo.WindowGUI (Int32 windowID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUILayout+LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (Int32 windowID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUI+_Window.Do () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUI.EndWindows (UnityEngine.IDList idlist) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUIUtility.EndGUI (Int32 doLayout, Int32 doWindows, UnityEngine.IDList idlist) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

Then, after I go back to SC, open the flight again, and retry, these start showing up:

ArgumentException: Getting control 0\'s position in a group with only 0 controls when doing Repaint
Aborting
at UnityEngine.GUILayoutGroup.GetNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUILayoutUtility.BeginLayoutGroup (UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options, System.Type LayoutType) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUILayout.BeginVertical (UnityEngine.GUIContent content, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUILayout.BeginVertical (UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MuMech.MechJebModuleSurfaceInfo.WindowGUI (Int32 windowID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUILayout+LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (Int32 windowID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUI+_Window.Do () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUI.EndWindows (UnityEngine.IDList idlist) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUIUtility.EndGUI (Int32 doLayout, Int32 doWindows, UnityEngine.IDList idlist) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

Those don\'t show up right away, though, as you can see in the log.

Also, at the very end of the output log there\'s this (probably unrelated):

PhysicsSDK::releaseConvexMesh: instances of this mesh still exist!

(Filename: ..\..\Physics\src\NpPhysicsSDK.cpp Line: 838)

I can\'t seem to get the autostaging to cooperate, among other things. I usually use radial Mechjebs near the last stage to control it, and it works sometimes, but other times, no. I\'ve had it work perfect until I was in orbit around the Mun, then not jettison the final stage before landing. Am I doing something wrong? I\'m taking rockets built for the Mun and adding MechJeb to them, is that it?

I can\'t seem to get the autostaging to cooperate, among other things. I usually use radial Mechjebs near the last stage to control it, and it works sometimes, but other times, no. I\'ve had it work perfect until I was in orbit around the Mun, then not jettison the final stage before landing. Am I doing something wrong? I\'m taking rockets built for the Mun and adding MechJeb to them, is that it?

Currently only the ascent auto-pilot has auto-staging, so MechJeb will only auto-stage during ascent. However we recently moved the auto-staging code out of the ascent AP, so we could think about implementing a more general auto-staging toggle.

Yeah, I just tried it and it ejected all stages when it was only supposed to eject the bottom and this was during ascent...

I\'ll have to try this again, I\'ve gotten into Munar orbit a few times with a downloaded rocket+MechJeb, maybe my gravity turns are too steep...

Yeah, I just tried it and it ejected all stages when it was only supposed to eject the bottom and this was during ascent...

I\'m always happy to look at .craft files of rockets where the auto-staging fails--that\'s how the staging logic gets improved, and how bugs get fixed! In the meantime, you might make use of the 'stop at stage #' field, which will tell MechJeb to stop auto-staging once it reaches a stage of your choice.

Another weird thing with staging: If I have Mechjeb modules on my bottom stages and jettison the stages manually, it gets rid of Mechjeb, even though I have them on stages further up. What should I be doing?

Mechjeb never seems to get me to a circularized orbit, either...I always reach my apoapsis and begin descending rapidly before I can get orbit.

On my larger rockets, Mechjeb never starts a gravity turn when I tell it to. Let\'s say I tell it to start turning at 10 km, stop at 70 km, and orbit at 75 km. A small rocket with one or two stages will do this fine. But with a Mun rocket? It will go to 50 km straight up, coast to apoapsis, then try to circularize. It always fails. I don\'t get what I\'m doing wrong...

Again, these questions are hard to answer unless you provide a .craft file of the ship you\'re experiencing issues with, so we can try it out for ourselves. You can attach files to your post; to find the .craft file associated with a ship you have saved, look in the directory <your KSP folder>/Ships/VAB/.

This is the ship that doesn\'t execute gravity turns well. Maybe I\'m just too unfamiliar to get it working? You guys try, please.

It\'s a ship I downloaded off here and then added MechJeb to, works fine on some, not on others.

Are you activating RCS to stabilize during the vertical ascent? I find that seems to turn on your SAS hold, and it locks it into the vertical orientation. Try turning off the SAS Hold, and see if it works.

(tip: I often try to use fins to minimize the amount of time I need RCS on for stability. It\'s... kinda wonky. ;))

MechJeb enables SAS and won\'t let me switch it off, I have to hold it off. Then it does the gravity turn, but not very well, still fails to reach orbit.

Really? I have had to manually turn it off, but it stays off until I change something, like turning off or on the RCS...

Set the Apoapsis altitude on the main ascent autopilot panel to 100 km, then enable the ascent autopilot and start the rocket. Should fly fine from there, but watch your SAS light. You may have to manually turn it on/off...

With a fleet of intercontinental bombers and transporters in development, I can\'t wait for the new spaceplane features. No rush, though... the process of slightly shifting wings back and forth to change the plane\'s flight characteristics is rather tedious but it\'ll take time..

Not automatically, but you can do it quite precisely with the manual controls:

- Show the Orbital Information window

- Set the Smart ASS to Normal + or Normal -.

- Burn until the Inclination is at the desired value.

I Got a problem, the window with the PANIC button, i was rotating my view, and i right clicked on it and dragged it over while rotating my view, and now its outside of the game window that i can see, and i really miss the PANIC button... Anyone have any ideas on how to get it back? I\'v tried unchecking that window and re-checking it, but it doesnt work, anyone help? :\'(

Go to PluginData, then there is a folder for MuMech, then open MechJeb.cfg, chang it to something that could be on your screen, if you don\'t get the file just delete it (resets MechJeb to factory ;P)