[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

I've been seeing that as well and assuming it was 1.0's new aero model in action. I've been adding fins.

Same. A set of 3 fins is often enough, and they don't always need to be steerable either. You just need something that gives the back more drag than the front in order to keep the back from trying to go in front of the front.

Do you guys run MJ with KSP 1.0.1+ ?

I've been trying to recompile it myself for a few hours without success, and i'm starting to think it isn't even necessary ?

KSP disallowed Mechjeb when I upgraded to 1.0.2. I shall patiently await the update :-)

Love mechjeb, I would suck so much without it.

It's just a warning that it may be incompatible. In any case, its working for me, or at least isn't being disallowed. Using dev build 438.

Ascent guidance is, um, working I think. Theres some aerodynamics changes, so I don't know how much of it is rocket design (I'm using procedural fairings on this craft, which may have to be updated for the changes to aero) and how much of it is MJ.

Going to try launching this ship without MJ autopilot though....

Also, I think terminal velocity may have to be retweaked.

Edit: Okay yeah, looking like 100% a design problem.

Edited by smjjames

Version 1.0.2 appears to have updated the drag coefficients for the aerodynamic model and the durability of parachutes. Don't bother opening them before you pass through the heating zone.

MechJeb works if you can get around the compatibility checker. (Athough I have not gotten far enough along in the career mode to try to get to orbit.)

skips

Version 1.0.2 appears to have updated the drag coefficients for the aerodynamic model and the durability of parachutes. Don't bother opening them before you pass through the heating zone.

MechJeb works if you can get around the compatibility checker. (Athough I have not gotten far enough along in the career mode to try to get to orbit.)

I've always had a rule to not deploy parachutes until the craft is subsonic. Makes for some hairy times once in a while it's always worked.

Just an hour ago I flew a ascent guidance controlled ship to a 150km orbit. Yesterday in 1.0 this same ship couldn't get past 60km without exploding.

Using a craft that flies absolutely perfectly while just following the navball ascent guidance target and AP off, flips backwards at around 8km where the craft performed perfectly while using the SAS target assist. So, yeah, it needs adjustment.

Edit: It's not a 100% stock ship though, if you want some analysis using that.

Edit2: It's not until after 30km that the AP stops trying to flip itself over.

Don't take this as criticism sarbian, I'm trying to help you.

Edited by smjjames

1.0.2 is working better than 1.0 for me. I landed really close to where I picked on the map. Just a little tweak for the new atmosphere would probably do the trick I think.

I just used some of the ascent settings posted a few pages back and it launches good.

I think 1.0.2 will have a good atmosphere for MechJeb.

MechJeb is the most important mod that I run. I can't explore without it.

MechJeb is the most important mod that I run. I can't explore without it.

Same here :)

1.0.2 is working better than 1.0 for me. I landed really close to where I picked on the map. Just a little tweak for the new atmosphere would probably do the trick I think.

I just used some of the ascent settings posted a few pages back and it launches good.

I think 1.0.2 will have a good atmosphere for MechJeb.

Yeah, the landing definetly looks better in 1.0.2 (though the descent seems a bit steep IMO, but that's just IMO anyway, I survived it, so.....), although MJ was a bit confused about my lander in that it doesn't have a landing engine but kept thinking it did (I don't think this is new behavior).

Also, the reentry simulation and trajectory bugged out during my final descent. That red line goes on forever. I did land safely though, it didn't do anything crazy and it deployed chutes normally.

screenshot29_zpsmzcqo2zb.png

I have been having good success with Mechjeb in 1.0.2..... it just needs a slight tweak for the atmosphere as stateded above, but it is not too far off as is.

I launched a monster of a rocket and it flipped over during the gravity turn. I tweaked on the settings and found a good setting with no flip over on any size rocket I have tried so far.

Just in case you want to try, here are the settings I used:

In the Ascent window: Angle of attack 5, uncheck corrective steering (no corrective steering)

Under Edit Ascent Path in the Ascent window: Turn start 350m (yes very low), Final Flight Path 0, Turn Shape 50%.

I'm going to experiment with Angle of Attack unchecked because the rockets flew well without it. I'm also going to try different things with all the settings, but the settings above seem to work so far.

Landings on mun (no atmosphere) were perfect and exactly where I picked!

I am having some funky stuff happening with the landing module, it cant seem to get itself sorted out, am i the only one? the closest i can get is 300km from the target, conversely if i just hit land somewhere it seems to bury me in the ground odd

Edited by Toyotawolf

Minor bug report:

In the VAB, MechJeb's "Vessel Info" window does not include physics-less parts when calculating the vessel's mass. The 1.0 update changed physics-less parts such that their mass is now imparted to their parent part, and should therefore be included in the vessel's mass calculations.

Update on my previous post, I was able to get into a stable orbit but when selecting the KSC and then trying to land at it, the autopilot, couldn't get it figured out, it kept flipping end over end and thrusting in each direction, the closest it ended up coming was 3km from target in which I shut off the autopilot, and landed using parachutes. Hopefully this is something that gets caught in the next patch because I really want to be able to bring my kerbal said home, not have one way missions where re try is a 50/50 chance lol.

Keep up the good work Sarbian, have some beers and kick back this weekend, the world won't end if mechael isn't fixed :)

What would be an interesting addition to the surface smart ASS suite would be an altitude set and straight and level set function.

EDIT:

Smart ASS is working fine even on 1.02

Edited by Sochin

i got allways crash to desktop. don't know if its because of mechjeb. i have to try it without mechjeb...

Doesn't seem to be a MJ issue to me. I removed all my mods and it is still crashing for me on reentry and sometimes if I lawn dart the game crashes.

How do you guys have MJ running without "out of date mod" error on 1.0.2 ?

Which version of MJ do you use ?

--edit--

My bad, I did not realize that, despite the warning, the module is still loaded and thus seem to work.

At least I can continue playing.

Edited by Kwaio