[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

But to do anything otherwise is nearly impossible. I wish Squad would acknowledge the importance of this mod and work with Sarbian to make it an option for KSP. We see and understand the work that you do Sarbian. We wait patiently for your masterpiece.

I have to agree with you.

Well said. perhaps we should start a petition (much like the save round 8 )

Thanks

peace out

So when I use the Ascent Guidance I run into an issue. When MechJeb begins to turn for the gravity turn, it will just flip out of control and start turning to much and end up just going crazy. I'm using KSP version 1.0.0 btw.

So when I use the Ascent Guidance I run into an issue. When MechJeb begins to turn for the gravity turn, it will just flip out of control and start turning to much and end up just going crazy. I'm using KSP version 1.0.0 btw.

You're going too fast and turn too hard.

Edit your ascent profile to start the gravity turn ASAP. Limit your acceleration to 20m/s2. Above 25km remove the acceleration restriction.

P.S.

I wonder how many people have asked this same question. My guess is on about a dozen per day.

I want to add something important here. use control surfaces / winglets. Especially while the gravity turn is a bit hard, the wings help drasticly to keep control.

Edited by Melcom

Message doesn't matter, it works fine anyway.

Mostly. I just ran into a problem where, having had Delta-V stats and Vessel Info last night, they're suddenly not available today, even though I'm at the same level in the tech tree. I suppose I can try removing the ModuleManager caches, or re-installing MechJeb, but it was disheartening to see these just disappear.

Any known way to get these back?

Also, yes, don't fully trust the limit to terminal velocity. It sorta works.

Cheers,

-BS

Please?

Well for starters you might want to download the latest dev version instead. Just because it fixes a few things regarding terminal velocity (even though I'm told it's not 100 percent yet), and adds some other stuff you might want.

Then, delete the mechjeb2 folder from gamedata, make sure you are looking at the right gamedata folder (if using a steam install, steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\gamedata or something like that

Then put the new mechjeb2 folder in gamedata, the one you got from latest dev version.

Also, since I dont use curse, make sure the folder you are dropping into gamedata is the one that contains icons, parts, plugins under the main folder

TL;DR it's an install issue on your end, somewhere, somehow. Mechjeb is currently plenty functional in the latest version of ksp (1.0.2), though there is some occasional and very understandable wonkiness

It is obvious that turning too suddenly starting out the gravity turn causes big problems. Adding fins as some have suggested, or limiting the correction angle are great fixes. In reality, this may be closer to actual physics than represented in 0.9.0.

BIG changes for me from 1.01 to 1.02 - frame rate is so much faster in 1.02

In case anyone is annoyed by the 1.0.2 warning, I made a quick and dirty fix for it. Fixes no bugs, I also changed the pressure unit to kPa as that's what's being returned instead. This is based off the (as of now) latest source code.

I am having an issue where Smart A.S.S. keeps turning on when I bring a Kerbal back in from EVA to an orbital base. I haven't been able to track down under what conditions it happens, because it doesn't happen all the time. I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing this issue? I'm using the latest dev build 439.

I am having an issue where Smart A.S.S. keeps turning on when I bring a Kerbal back in from EVA to an orbital base. I haven't been able to track down under what conditions it happens, because it doesn't happen all the time. I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing this issue? I'm using the latest dev build 439.

Hm, does it happen in 438?

Edit: Unrelated to Druagas post, I'm noticing that I get this exception on exit from VAB/SPH after first starting the game. It doesn't appear again, even after switching saves. Seems harmless though. Dev build 439

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at MuMech.MechJebCore.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Edited by smjjames

Message doesn't matter, it works fine anyway.

There are parts that aren't working, for example landing guidance, so to say it works just fine is in error, HOWEVER having said that Sarbian is working on a fix.

Build 440 is better at landing. Using the same craft, it didn't do the flipping back and forth with erroneous "corrections" or drastic changes to the orbit. Still went quite a ways long past KSP.

That could be due to the lander needing a redesign to somehow pack in some more fuel so it won't run out at about 500 meters. Might also need something to increase drag. I'll try some of those deployable air brakes. Alan Aerospace Recycling and Packaging is determined to continue its tradition on not relying on flimsy cloth for landings. ;)

Build 440 is better at landing. Using the same craft, it didn't do the flipping back and forth with erroneous "corrections" or drastic changes to the orbit. Still went quite a ways long past KSP.

That could be due to the lander needing a redesign to somehow pack in some more fuel so it won't run out at about 500 meters. Might also need something to increase drag. I'll try some of those deployable air brakes. Alan Aerospace Recycling and Packaging is determined to continue its tradition on not relying on flimsy cloth for landings. ;)

Lol, if its that i need more fuel to land that is pretty lame because i would need close to double if not 3 times the fuel to land as i did before, i like you have landers that don't rely on parachutes, they are there only in case something goes horribly wrong

Hey, if Elon Musk can land spacecraft without parachutes*, then damn right we will too.

*for varying definitions of 'land'

lol, yeah dont think we can call that last one a land, however it was very Kerbal of them

Lol, if its that i need more fuel to land that is pretty lame because i would need close to double if not 3 times the fuel to land as i did before, i like you have landers that don't rely on parachutes, they are there only in case something goes horribly wrong

Nah, Sarbian is still dealing with the *massive* change in aerodynamics in 1.0. As it gets closer to the target, it'll get better on fuel consumption.

However, I did manage to target KSC really well by accident, and I noticed after re-entry you are still moving like a bat out of hell due to the fact it's not a high-drag souposphere any more, so the terminal landing burn *is* longer and harder. Not 2X or 3X harder but more like 1.5X.

I'm going to go play with airbrakes on my Re-entry Test Vehicle and see how that goes.

Nah, Sarbian is still dealing with the *massive* change in aerodynamics in 1.0. As it gets closer to the target, it'll get better on fuel consumption.

However, I did manage to target KSC really well by accident, and I noticed after re-entry you are still moving like a bat out of hell due to the fact it's not a high-drag souposphere any more, so the terminal landing burn *is* longer and harder. Not 2X or 3X harder but more like 1.5X.

I'm going to go play with airbrakes on my Re-entry Test Vehicle and see how that goes.

Yeah i know Sarbian is fixing MJ2, so happy about that

You're going too fast and turn too hard.

Edit your ascent profile to start the gravity turn ASAP. Limit your acceleration to 20m/s2. Above 25km remove the acceleration restriction.

P.S.

I wonder how many people have asked this same question. My guess is on about a dozen per day.

I'd read the whole thread if I could but there's nearly 1000 pages ;)

Thank you, I appreciate it.

I know I'll probably get yelled at for asking, but can anyone point me to a mechjeb for command pods MM patch that works correctly in 1.0??

I'll let you guys know how 440 works once I start unlocking modules & putting it through it's paces.....