[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

I'd read the whole thread if I could but there's nearly 1000 pages ;)

Thank you, I appreciate it.

I wasn't just talking about the MechJeb thread, I meant the forum in general. A great many people are stuck in their old habits and have difficulties adjusting.

But never mind that. One is glad to be of service.

I know I'll probably get yelled at for asking, but can anyone point me to a mechjeb for command pods MM patch that works correctly in 1.0??

I'll let you guys know how 440 works once I start unlocking modules & putting it through it's paces.....

You mean a MM patch that adds MechJeb functionality to all command pods? Check http://www.curse.com/ksp-mods/kerbal/221109-mechjeb-embedded-universal. I'm very satisfied with that one.

I know I'll probably get yelled at for asking, but can anyone point me to a mechjeb for command pods MM patch that works correctly in 1.0??

I'll let you guys know how 440 works once I start unlocking modules & putting it through it's paces.....

I'm using this in my MJpods.cfg in 1.0.2

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand]]
{

%MODULE[MechJebCore]

{

MechJebLocalSettings {

MechJebModuleCustomWindowEditor { unlockTechs = flightControl }

MechJebModuleSmartASS { unlockTechs = flightControl }

MechJebModuleManeuverPlanner { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }

MechJebModuleNodeEditor { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }

MechJebModuleTranslatron { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }

MechJebModuleWarpHelper { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }

MechJebModuleAttitudeAdjustment { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }

MechJebModuleThrustWindow { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }

MechJebModuleRCSBalancerWindow { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }

MechJebModuleRoverWindow { unlockTechs = fieldScience }

MechJebModuleAscentGuidance { unlockTechs = unmannedTech }

MechJebModuleLandingGuidance { unlockTechs = unmannedTech }

MechJebModuleSpaceplaneGuidance { unlockTechs = unmannedTech }

MechJebModuleDockingGuidance { unlockTechs = advUnmanned }

MechJebModuleRendezvousAutopilotWindow { unlockTechs = advUnmanned }

MechJebModuleRendezvousGuidance { unlockTechs = advUnmanned }

}

}

}

Sarbian probably just smashed his computer because of Squad's random knee-jerk atmosphere changes.

Yeah i don't think he was the only one, i just find it laughable that squad pushed out 1.0 and then was like "hmm this aero thing kinda sucks lets tweak it", cue 1.0.1 then "hmm we still haven't quite go the suckage right lets change it again" cue 1.0.2 and you are telling me no one in that office said, "maybe we should test this first before we hit the button and release it?"

I actually like the new Aero model. I played with FAR most of the time so something that brings stock to a more "realistic" aero is fine by me. I don't need a perfect model but some of the old model problems were quite irritating and made people learn wrong things (and learning is a big part of KSP).

The new aero model was in MJ before the release and if it was not here you would not even land crash remotely close to the target (which I assume most of you do since I did not see a "I land 300km from my target"). The remaining quirks are mainly special case for some part that use the default model, the parachutes (which I know how to do but require time) and the AP landing too late. There is also the fact that you are used to the old model and pure engine landing require more dv and TWR than before (and/or parachutes).

Also the Landing AP is one of the most boring thing to test in MJ. You load your save, start the landing and have to wait 5 min to see if your last change works.

Anyway, I pushed a new dev.

- Science unlocking should now work (it was a problem related to the unity upgrade and serialization. Thanks to stupid_chris for giving me a hint at how to fix it). The dv code was upgraded to - KER 1.0.16.6 (you will see small differences in the number in the editor since I don't use exactly the same atmo numbers).

- the compatibility checker will not complain about minor patch anymore

I ll have a look at the KER Delta V staging code since it is less complex than the old MJ code and does not handle some case we handled in the past. And I may have a quick look at the landing but I'd rather have a new official release with a warning in that window and look at improving it later.

Edit : the MJ unlock position on the new techtree may be a bit out of date. Suggestion are welcome.

Edited by sarbian

I've noticed 2 things with the latest dev build (build #440):

1. All MJ functions are available, no unlocking required. I've had this happen with a dev build before back in 0.25 or 0.90 but it's... back

2. Using landing prediction in the landing autopilot, cuts my FPS down to below 10 no matter how high it was before. Turn off 'show landing prediction' and it goes back to normal. Happens on all celestial bodies at all phases of flight and this is definitely a new problem, I've been using MJ2 since 2013 and have never seen this behavior before. The 1.0.0-certified official build did NOT do this, that I can remember. Seems to be recent.

Now, I do have the VoxelAeroPort dev build of FAR installed - but when I disable it, this behavior does not change. Anyone else experienced this?

Edit : the MJ unlock position on the new techtree may be a bit out of date. Suggestion are welcome.

Thanks for the update.

Suggestion for techtree :

Personally I always used a MM cfg to unlock the Ascent guidance sooner than the landing one.

Because I get quickly bored to launch every single rocket manually (personal taste) and I think landing is more complicated than ascent thus unlock ascent before landing sounds logical.

;)

Latest dev build is actually 441 and I have a question on it out of curiosity, what does deactivating object pooling do?

I didn't do any landing AP with 440, so, I can't say for sure on the lag. I've never had any FPS drops coming from MJ either.

My suggestion for the MJ unlocks is to move all of the information modules very early in the tech tree (i.e., second or third element of the tree). They are one of the truly missing components in KSP and are very useful to people learning how to construct and fly rockets.

skips

Landing testing update:

So far the landing module works just fine on the Mun, Minmus.....

Moho had some difficulties, had to keep turning it off and turning it back on during the landing to correct, but it did hit the mark in the end

Kerbin is just pooched of course

Eve landed missed the mark by 39km and need parachute assistance

Duna missed the mark by 25.28km

Update---

Ike missed the mark by 2.1km

Edited by Toyotawolf

Kind of a bug with the space plane auto pilot. If you engage it and change the numbers, it wont wait till you hit engage to apply the changes (like the smart ASS does). This can lead to your plane crashing if your not very careful with it.

Landing testing update:

So far the landing module works just fine on the Mun, Minmus.....

Moho had some difficulties, had to keep turning it off and turning it back on during the landing to correct, but it did hit the mark in the end

Kerbin is just pooched of course

Eve landed missed the mark by 39km and need parachute assistance

Duna missed the mark by 25.28km

Update---

Ike missed the mark by 2.1km

What orbit were you doing with Ike? To miss the mark by that much is unusual for non-atmosphere worlds.

What orbit were you doing with Ike? To miss the mark by that much is unusual for non-atmosphere worlds.

I am testing all the bodies with a starting orbit of 100 x 100km, if I should adjust that for testing purposes, someone should let me know and I'll rerun the numbers again once I get back to testing

An other new dev build with some work on the ascent AP :

- now start the turn when reaching the start turn alt or the set surface velocity. The default is 100m/s and it should avoid a lot "loop" situation for people struggling with the new aero.

- The AoA limiter fadeout now works as intended and displays the current limit. I updated the default to 2500pa. 5000pa may be better but I want to see how it fares first.

Break time :)

Hey sarbian, I got a NaN just now targetting a ground base from a suborbital trajectory (on the Mun). It could be a corrupt save file, but it only NaN's if "closest approach distance" is on. This only applies to closest approach, distance to target works fine. Looking at the persistent file, it looks fine. This was with dev 441.

getObtAtUT result is NaN! UT: NaN
ArithmeticException: NAN
at System.Math.Sign (double) <0x00087>
at Orbit.solveEccentricAnomalyExtremeEcc (double,double,int) <0x00061>
at Orbit.getRelativePositionAtT (double) <0x00135>
at Orbit.getRelativePositionAtUT (double) <0x00039>
at MuMech.OrbitExtensions.SwappedRelativePositionAtUT (Orbit,double) <0x0001f>
at MuMech.OrbitExtensions.SwappedAbsolutePositionAtUT (Orbit,double) <0x0003c>
at MuMech.MechJebModuleInfoItems.TimeToImpact () <0x0009a>
at (wrapper dynamic-method) System.Runtime.CompilerServices.ExecutionScope.lambda_method (System.Runtime.CompilerServices.ExecutionScope,object) <0x0002b>
at MuMech.ValueInfoItem/<ValueInfoItem>c__AnonStorey13.<>m__7F () <0x00019>
at MuMech.ValueInfoItem.DrawItem () <0x00027>
at MuMech.MechJebModuleCustomInfoWindow.WindowGUI (int) <0x00078>
at UnityEngine.GUILayout/LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (int) <0x000bb>
at UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.GUI/WindowFunction,int,UnityEngine.GUISkin,int,single,single,UnityEngine.GUIStyle) <0x00107>

Edited by AndreyATGB

Thanks Sarbian! Will await the update...still wrestling with the tech tree, LOL

He fixed the tech tree unlocking late last night. Use the newest dev build and it should work fine (at least it does for me).

MechJeb..... what are you doing?.... lol

Seriously though, I did a return from a moon while in a polar orbit around the Mun and it worked fine, so I have no idea why it wants to send me off into a heliocentric orbit.

Tried changing the orbit to around 200km, same result, made the orbit equatorial and it worked then. I know polar orbits are generally trickier to leave from, but I didn't have this problem before with polar orbits around Minmus. Dev build 442.

screenshot41_zpst4rx3h8b.png

Do I load that into gamedata like a regular update? Never done that before

This is just my opinion. Remove the old MechJeb and replace it with the new. Makes things easier; again my opinion.

Posted by Sarbian:

"Edit : the MJ unlock position on the new techtree may be a bit out of date. Suggestion are welcome. "

I wonder if the unlocking of the ascent functions should also depend on an upgrade of the tracking station since IRL a lot of telemetry relay between ground control and the on board computers would be a component in a computer assisted/controlled operation.

This is just my opinion. Remove the old MechJeb and replace it with the new. Makes things easier; again my opinion.

You only need the new dll. I'd recommend keeping MJ_global in PluginData so you don't lose your settings and custom windows. If you don't change any setting then you could just replace everything I suppose.

Well, the new MJ isn't compatible with 1.02...I've loaded MJ 2.5 and taken it back off.

I've never added a dev build separately before. Is it like adding a mod? I put MJ back in, and then add the most recent dev build to gamedata? Thanks for your patience, everyone :)

Edited by OscarJade

Well, the new MJ isn't compatible with 1.02...I've loaded MJ 2.5 and taken it back off.

I've never added a dev build separately before. Is it like adding a mod? I put MJ back in, and then add the most recent dev build to gamedata? Thanks for your patience, everyone :)

Yes, it's installed the same way as a mod, just drag it into gamedata and overwrite anything that it asks to overwrite.

SmartA.S.S. is broken, I have to constantly hit 'execute' to remind it what it's supposed to be doing. Because I think SmartA.S.S. is linked to most of MechJeb's automated functions, most of it is not working.