[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

Love you and your hard work, sarbian. Keep it up at whatever pace you're comfortable with. Please remember that there are thousands of us quietly thankful for you and your time.

Cheers,

~Steve

@DiGriz

The Makefile that is included with the source works if you have a Steam version of the program. Otherwise you will have to change the KSPDIR variable to point to the directory that contains the application.

skips

Yeah that's what I'm using and I saw that in the Makefile and it looks setup correctly.

@sarbian

I think that you need the comparisons to be "!=" in the change to the optimization code.

Also, could I ask a favor and have you add the following lines to the .gitignore file. I would make my compiles a bit cleaner.

# Files for the Mac
.DS_Store

skips

Crap. Of course it should be !=

New build pushed.

Your .ignore change will be in the next one.

*go to sleep*

- - - Updated - - -

What do you need to do to get MechJeb compiling under linux? I'm not really looking to get an IDE setup, just want to get `make build` working. Error output I'm getting is:

I tried looking at what Jenkins is doing to compile it, but the config isn't visible as an anonymous user. I'm very familiar with building software on linux, but no experience at all wtih C# or mono.

Are you using the Makefile from the dev branch ? it should have all the required changes.

I just updated to build 449 (tried 452 and had the "no windows" issue). Now I'm finding that MechJeb doesn't seem to be able to control the throttle. Using the Ascent autopilot, the throttle just stays at the default 50% setting when I engage autopilot. If I hit space to launch, the rocket stays at 50% and settles onto the pad when the clamps let it go.

If I don't launch, but instead engage the autopilot and then disengage it, the throttle drops to 0%. Engaging again doesn't raise it above 0%.

If i manually raise the throttle to 100%, the launch works, but then when the apogee gets to the orbit altitude I have set, MechJeb doesn't throttle down and just keeps accelerating. I manually killed the throttle and let the autopilot continue. It set up the maneuver node to circularize, but when it got there, it never throttled up.

It's like a wire is broken between MechJeb and the engines. :)

I've completely removed my GameData\MechJeb folder and re-installed, and still have the same issue.

This is KSP 1.0.2 with build 449 of MechJeb.

Any idea what is happening?

EDIT: Well, it doesn't seem to actually be a build 449 issue. I went back to the version on CKAN and had the same issue, which I did not have with that version before. I then loaded an earlier persistence file and things worked fine. So it was something messed up in my save. I'm not going to worry any more about it, I'll just repeat a couple of hours of play. <shrug>

Edited by khearn

I'm the only one here that keep have issues with "limit to terminal velocity" function?

My rockets have often chances to get this issues and go sigtly less fast then they should be... and when i say sigtly i mean limit on at 100 m/s above kerbin launchpad...

This never give me problems before 1.0...

=Apollo13Having a bit of an issue when vessels cancelling SMART A.S.S. When I'm docking to a target vessel, I'll switch to that vessel and set MJ SMART A.S.S to "KILL ROT". I'll then switch back to the docking vessel. When I switch back to the target vessel, SMART A.S.S. is set to off. I must then set it to KILL ROT again. I do ensure that only one command capsule/pod is set to "Control from here".

I'm using the released version, not dev version.

Control from here isn't a toggle per individual pod or cockpit. It just changes which reference transform you're controlling from and switches from one to another. There's no way to control from multiple pods.

As I assumed, but that doesn't answer my issue.

I'm the only one here that keep have issues with "limit to terminal velocity" function?

My rockets have often chances to get this issues and go sigtly less fast then they should be... and when i say sigtly i mean limit on at 100 m/s above kerbin launchpad...

Only the vertical component of your velocity vector is considered when limiting to terminal velocity. Horizontal is not considered and it's by design. MJ is working as intended.

Only the vertical component of your velocity vector is considered when limiting to terminal velocity. Horizontal is not considered and it's by design. MJ is working as intended.

But my ascent profile is set go straight up to 10000m... still at 2000m at 100m/s it pin trust at <33% with terminal velocity on...

Maybe that's the craft's true terminal velocity. It probably isn't but haven't given us any information that would help us to rule that out. Help us to help you.

Sarbian:

I'm seeing the number of dev builds that have gone up lately and I just want to say thank you. It's obvious you are working very hard on this, and I appreciate it.

But my ascent profile is set go straight up to 10000m... still at 2000m at 100m/s it pin trust at <33% with terminal velocity on...

Your problem must be different than what I thought. It's probably something besides Limit to TV

Duplicate that again, and have your MJ Utilities window open. At 2km altitude take a screenshot and post it here. (use imgur to host it; you dont even need an account)

NOW then your throttle limit issues aside... WHY are you launching straight up to 10km before turning? Is it for a career mode altitude record or something? Because if you're trying to get to orbit and waiting to start your turn until 10km, you don't have to do that anymore :P (if the first one was it and it's a record thing then forget I said anything about it)

Has MJ been disabled in the VAB, I use to have it hide and use Blizzy Toolbar to bring it up, its not in there anymore and I can't re-add it of course. Just wondering if it has been removed from VAB or is it a bug?

- - - Updated - - -

Here is my logs just in case:

http://www./download/m9dbrg2bhvuq6b3/Logs.zip

I am using the MechJeb2-2.5.0.0-453 version and tried the version before that one, 452.

Edited by therealcrow999

Having a bit of an issue when vessels cancelling SMART A.S.S. When I'm docking to a target vessel, I'll switch to that vessel and set MJ SMART A.S.S to "KILL ROT". I'll then switch back to the docking vessel. When I switch back to the target vessel, SMART A.S.S. is set to off. I must then set it to KILL ROT again. I do ensure that only one command capsule/pod is set to "Control from here".

I'm using the released version, not dev version.

Don't use the release version for 1.0.x It is quite buggy.

Has MJ been disabled in the VAB, I use to have it hide and use Blizzy Toolbar to bring it up, its not in there anymore and I can't re-add it of course. Just wondering if it has been removed from VAB or is it a bug?

- - - Updated - - -

Here is my logs just in case:

http://www./download/m9dbrg2bhvuq6b3/Logs.zip

I am using the MechJeb2-2.5.0.0-453 version and tried the version before that one, 452.

They're probably hidden off screen now, if you used 452 or an earlier version. It might have corrupted the settings.

If that's the case, you have two choices

1. Look in GameData/MechJeb2/Plugins/PluginData/MechJeb2/ - then find mechjeb_settings_global.cfg and delete it. You will lose all custom windows you created. Do this when NOT in flight mode or when exited out of the program. (I do all this sort of stuff when still in the game because I'm a 1337 b@d@$$ h@><04 and I know what I'm doing - don't do it if you're not me)
  2. If you don't want to lose any custom settings and windows then keep reading. If you followed step 1 then don't read any further.

If you're still reading: edit mechjeb_settings_global.cfg and delete the very first section that says

MechJebModuleMenu
{
buncha stuff
}

Replace that section with this:

MechJebModuleMenu
{
windowStat = NORMAL
windowProgr = 1
windowVPos = -403.593
hideButton = True
useAppLauncher = True
windowVector = 1720,303.593,200,530
windowVectorEditor = 1910,1070,0,0
showInFlight = True
showInEditor = True
enabled = True
}

Your other windows should come back too but they will likely be crammed into a corner but you'll be able to move them.

Good luck

They're probably hidden off screen now, if you used 452 or an earlier version. It might have corrupted the settings.

1. Look in GameData/MechJeb2/Plugins/PluginData/MechJeb2/ - then find mechjeb_settings_global.cfg and delete it. You will lose all custom windows you created. Do this when NOT in flight mode or when exited out of the program. (I do all this sort of stuff when still in the game because I'm a 1337 b@d@$$ h@><04 and I know what I'm doing - don't do it if you're not me)
  2. If you don't want to lose any custom settings and windows then keep reading. If you followed step 1 then don't read any further.

If you're still reading: edit mechjeb_settings_global.cfg and delete the very first section that says

MechJebModuleMenu
{
buncha stuff
}

MechJebModuleMenu
{
windowStat = NORMAL
windowProgr = 1
windowVPos = -403.593
hideButton = True
useAppLauncher = True
showInFlight = True
showInEditor = True
enabled = True
}

Your other windows should come back too but they will likely be crammed into a corner but you'll be able to move them.

Good luck

I will try #1. I really haven't got any custom windows setup yet, only thing I have so far is a blacklist MM.

Thanks!

MechJebModuleMenu
{
buncha stuff
}

MechJebModuleMenu
{
windowStat = NORMAL
windowProgr = 1
windowVPos = -403.593
hideButton = True
useAppLauncher = True
showInFlight = True
showInEditor = True
enabled = True
}

Good luck

I tried #1 and #2 no go, I reinstalled MJ2 in my modded game install. I also have another KSP install with only a few things in there and I put MJ in there for the first time still nothing. I don't even get the stock toolbar on bottom of screen of MJ nor does Blizzy Toolbar come up, thus allowing me to add MJ to the bar.

I've tried a complete reinstall of MJ a few times still nothing.

- - - Updated - - -

It really not a big deal for me since my modded KSP I use KER, but for people who might just use stock with MJ, they might use it. I'm just trying to point out a bug, if there is one.

I tried #1 and #2 no go, I reinstalled MJ2 in my modded game install. I also have another KSP install with only a few things in there and I put MJ in there for the first time still nothing. I don't even get the stock toolbar on bottom of screen of MJ nor does Blizzy Toolbar come up, thus allowing me to add MJ to the bar.

I've tried a complete reinstall of MJ a few times still nothing.

- - - Updated - - -

It really not a big deal for me since my modded KSP I use KER, but for people who might just use stock with MJ, they might use it. I'm just trying to point out a bug, if there is one.

It is unlikely to be a bug in MechJeb. I've just upgraded MechJeb from #445 to #453 and it still works fine for me and many other people, like Starwaster.

If both of Starwaster's fixes didn't work for you, I suggest you try this fix: wipe and reinstall MechJeb from scratch:

1. Delete "GameData/MechJeb2" and everything it contains. If it exists, delete "GameData/MechJeb" as well (this was for older versions of MechJeb).

2. Download again version #453 from the MechJeb Jenkins repository (click on "453" in the Build History on the left side to go to its download page).

3. The zip file for MechJeb contains the "MechJeb2" directory and all its contents. Extract it into the KSP directory "GameData".

4. Start up a sandbox game and goto the VAB. You should see the "MechJeb" tab on the right side of the screen. (Career games will have MechJeb functions limited by what tech nodes you've researched.)

5. Place either of the MechJeb parts, either the MechJeb pod or any pod with the MechJeb AR202 placed on it. If you then go to Launch, you should see the "MechJeb" tab, again on the right side of the screen.

6. If you didn't get either MechJeb tab, quit out of the current game and start a new sandbox game and try step 4 and step 5 once more.

If this doesn't work, there is likely something deeper wrong with your install. I suggest following the steps in the modded install support guide.

Edited by Jacke

It is unlikely to be a bug in MechJeb. I've just upgraded MechJeb from #445 to #453 and it still works fine for me and many other people, like Starwaster.

If both of Starwaster's fixes didn't work for you, I suggest you try this fix: wipe and reinstall MechJeb from scratch:

1. Delete "GameData/MechJeb2" and everything it contains. If it exists, delete "GameData/MechJeb" as well (this was for older versions of MechJeb).

2. Download again version #453 from the MechJeb Jenkins repository (click on "453" in the Build History on the left side to go to its download page).

3. The zip file for MechJeb contains the "MechJeb2" directory and all its contents. Extract it into the KSP directory "GameData".

4. Start up a sandbox game and goto the VAB. You should see the "MechJeb" tab on the right side of the screen. (Career games will have MechJeb functions limited by what tech nodes you've researched.)

5. Place either of the MechJeb parts, either the MechJeb pod or any pod with the MechJeb AR202 placed on it. If you then go to Launch, you should see the "MechJeb" tab, again on the right side of the screen.

6. If you didn't get either MechJeb tab, quit out of the current game and start a new sandbox game and try step 4 and step 5 once more.

If this doesn't work, there is likely something deeper wrong with your install. I suggest following the steps in the modded install support guide.

I'm not talking about the missing tab, I get that when I place a new install of MJ. I also had the MJ tab before, my original question was the stock tool bar removed and the blizzy tool bar function from MJ in the VAB. The stock tool bar shows on the bottom right of the screen in big MJ letters and the blizzy tool bar comes on the scene if anything that uses the tool bar in the scene.

And I have done clean installs of MJ with old stuff wiped out. I apprecate the 6 steps, I am aware of all those things. I have been modding since 0.12 days.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is what I am talking about, the floaty Blizzy Toolbar and stock toolbar on bottom, not the tab on right. The Stock bar and Blizzy bar don't appear anymore.

KSP%202015-05-11%2000-25-46-46_zps8helf37l.jpg

MechJeb Dev 453 is a bit buggy. I tried a clean install of KSP and MechJeb 453 with no other mods installed. Started a new sandbox game. As soon as I place the AR202 on my ship, the debug windows gets spammed with NullReferenceException. 452 and 451 also have this bug.

450 doesn't have this bug, but it is also unusable due to other bugs. So it seems that 449 is the latest "stable" version.

fjOKpOg.jpg

MechJeb Dev 453 is a bit buggy. I tried a clean install of KSP and MechJeb 453 with no other mods installed. Started a new sandbox game. As soon as I place the AR202 on my ship, the debug windows gets spammed with NullReferenceException. 452 and 451 also have this bug.

450 doesn't have this bug, but it is also unusable due to other bugs. So it seems that 449 is the latest "stable" version.

http://i.imgur.com/fjOKpOg.jpg

Having same issue with 453. It's VAB only and the toolbar doesn't get populated with the MJ buttons assigned for the VAB/SPH when it occurs. Remove whatever brought a MechJebCore in and it stops.

http://i.imgur.com/fjOKpOg.jpg

Having same issue with 453. It's VAB only and the toolbar doesn't get populated with the MJ buttons assigned for the VAB/SPH when it occurs. Remove whatever brought a MechJebCore in and it stops.

Hey, thanks for pointing that out guys. I don't use the MechJeb parts but instead add a MM script that adds a MechJebCore to every command pod. Go into the VAB and click on a pod and I get the NullReferenceException bugs. Removed MechJeb #453 and put #449 in.

therealcrow999, I'm not certain the exact problem you are having.

You gave that one screenshot, saying:

Here is what I am talking about, the floaty Blizzy Toolbar and stock toolbar on bottom, not the tab on right. The Stock bar and Blizzy bar don't appear anymore.

http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii605/therealcrow999/KSP%202015-05-11%2000-25-46-46_zps8helf37l.jpg

That can't be a screenshot of the issue as there's blizzy78's toolbar and the stock toolbar both visible, both with MJ icons in them. Reading your other comments still leaves me not certain I understand.

Are both blizzy78's toolbar and the stock toolbar completely missing?

Can you post some screenshots of your KSP game with the problem visible? And describe the problem in detail?

If both toolbars are gone, as a first step, I'd suggest wiping blizzy78's toolbar ("GameData/000_Toolbar/") and MechJeb, then installing Toolbar 1.7.9 and MechJeb 2.5.0.0 (the main release version via the download in the 1st post). Start a new sandbox game and go to the VAB and see if you have the toolbars back. If this is the problem and that fixes it, try updating MechJeb to dev release #449 and see if that behaves.

therealcrow999, I'm not certain the exact problem you are having.
Are both blizzy78's toolbar and the stock toolbar completely missing?

If you check my screenshot, you'll see that stock toolbar button is missing. So, it is probably the same issue.

Your problem must be different than what I thought. It's probably something besides Limit to TV

Duplicate that again, and have your MJ Utilities window open. At 2km altitude take a screenshot and post it here. (use imgur to host it; you dont even need an account)

NOW then your throttle limit issues aside... WHY are you launching straight up to 10km before turning? Is it for a career mode altitude record or something? Because if you're trying to get to orbit and waiting to start your turn until 10km, you don't have to do that anymore :P (if the first one was it and it's a record thing then forget I said anything about it)

Sadly, i can't replicate it easily... it seems to happen random, even with crafts that worked fine with the autopilot the first time, and then at the second time i launched it, it go orribly wrong...

What make me crazy is that the moment that start to happen, even if i close and reload the game, it keep happen with the same craft, then suddently, after couple other launches of other crafts, when i get back to it, it works fine again...

I'm really confused about this... i don't have a clue of what can make this happen, so it's difficult for me provide you some detailed information about what cause the issue...

Also, i'm playing stock with only life quality mod... so no strange part are used, only the MJ module is a non-stock-one...

For the strange ascent attitude, that was a test that i did in the moment the issue hit me harder, i was trying to understand if the attitude i was using was actually the cause... Well, it wasn't...

It isn't an actual ascent profile that i use often, except for extreme payloads, where i need to jettison low level boosters in a symmetric way before start turning.

I'll keep an eye on tho... the first time it will happen again, i'll make some screens and i'll test more...

EDIT

This is another example of what happen...

http://imgur.com/BWtfem9

My rocket burned all the way up to 22500 and is still at 389m/s, pinned at half throttle...

My experience tells me that this is not correct... that rocket should go at full throttle just past 12000m...

And after burning half my lower stage countering gravity at 50% throttle, i'm still there waiting for the rocket to start pick up speed...

Edited by Keymaster89

Same for me 449 is the latest version I can use where blizzys toolbaricon shows and the standart toolbar mj is showing after that no toobaricons showing and the mj tag is hidden in the upperleft corner behind the gamegrafics I see it flickering through but can not use it. I tried every higher version with the same result. (game was stock sandbox only mj installed and every new version done on a clean install)

I also noticed in 449 a lets say minor bug (since every higher version i could not use) that the landing autopilot does not warp to the decent burn point after the inclination burn it simply ticks down the time in 1X time, if you go to warp it stops at the right spot and burns down so nothing broken only something lets say missing ;-)

To clarify i speak about nonatmospheric landing.

As always good work, only this time since 449 the MJ kraken seems to have had a talk with your builds ;-)

I also got aerolas bugmessages in the same builds...