[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

I did test it in *459 before uploading the craft files. When I re-installed KSP it worked properly only one time then it stopped.

Here's a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhi9tnzvsBQ

5:23 is when it plots the circularize node but doesn't perform it.

Not working for me in 459 either. =(

System specs:

win 8.1

quad core

8g ram

(new laptop / all drivers current)

Edited by AgentMOO

The DEV MJ versions are doubles the engines thrust in hangar. After standing rockets on launchpad, values becomes normal.

Yeah sorry about that. I pulled the wrong KER branch. New dev fix it.

AgentMOO : I have to idea of what is going on. Try with the newest dev, using the really newest dV sim code may help since it is used for the node burn time calculation.

I actually ran into something similar with the NaN in the Dv window, except that it was with TWR and SLT and only happens if a specific mods part is the root part, no MJ exceptions in the log, checked just now with 459. Do you want the craft file for that one?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/smjjames/screenshot58_zpshlhqagy1.png

Update on this (using 460 now)

Edit: Turns out to be a quirk of how KSP works.

screenshot60_zpsg4fyxikm.png

Edited by smjjames

Tested with 460 but no change. When I change dev versions I delete the Mechjeb2 folder then copy in the new one. I'm going camping now. When I get back I'll try another clean install of KSP. Thanks for a great MOD and all your help btw. =)

Apologize if this came up in the last few days, I searched the last several pages, and didn't see reference to it. The forum search tools leave something to be desired.

Problem here with the throttle, especially on launch. It twitches down from full, often hovering around half. This is whether or not I have ascent guidance enabled. It doesn't happen when I remove the MechJeb module from the craft entirely. It isn't terribly useful if my rocket is sitting there, unable to get off the pad because MechJeb won't apply (or let me apply) full throttle.

Is this something that's been addressed yet? Should I get the latest dev build? I don't have throttle limit set.

Ooohhh answered my own question....okay, it's an artefact of "Limit to terminal velocity". Hopefully someone else will find this useful.

Cheers,

-BS

Now that MechJeb pretty much does what it should do when it comes to atmospheric landings it's time to address another long standing issue: Spaceplane guidance.

In the pre 1.0.X souposphere plane guidance has always been stable. In FAR/NEAR it has always been anything but that. Even with the optional modules. Now with the new aerodynamics the issue has been introduced into the stock game. Pitch and yaw are reasonably stable when MechJeb is asked to take control through both Smart A.S.S. and plan guidance but roll is horrible. As soon as your plane gets even a minor roll input MechJeb starts to over correct introducing potentially plane crashing oscillations.

Will this be getting 1.0.2 support?

I've tried to figure out how to install the dev versions, I think I got it installed properly but it doesn't work :/

I'd really enjoy having this

Either I'm being retarded or the search thingamajig is. I've been experimenting with different assent profiles. Is there a consensis on overall best ascent shape % and target gravity and drag losses?

With a 62% profile 350m alt by 100m/s turn ending at 60km and 1.45 TWR at SL, I'm hitting about 3800 dV with 1860dV(grav), 204dv(drag) and 28dV(steering) losses for 300km orbit.

Any tips on improving these stats?

Sorry if there is another thread on this, I wasn't able to find it.

Either I'm being retarded or the search thingamajig is. I've been experimenting with different assent profiles. Is there a consensis on overall best ascent shape % and target gravity and drag losses?

With a 62% profile 350m alt by 100m/s turn ending at 60km and 1.45 TWR at SL, I'm hitting about 3800 dV with 1860dV(grav), 204dv(drag) and 28dV(steering) losses for 300km orbit.

Go shallower. No steeper than 50. I like to go 40

There was a bit of discussion on it shortly after 1.0 came out, so theres a few examples there. I don't think we neccesarily reached a consensus on the overall best ascent shape, though people generally said about 60% to 50% drag shape.

For me, I just do automatic altitude turn (which sounds like the same setting you have) with a turn shape of 50. I haven't looked into the gravity, drag, and steering losses though.

If you want to make a thread looking into the best ascent shape and target drag losses, you're free to do so.

Go shallower. No steeper than 50. I like to go 40

I did 40 for a while, but 50 seems to work better.

wow, 40 seems way shallow. I'll try those and see how they go. Thx for the quick replies.

There is no one best profile. It depends on; your ship's coefficient of drag and how that changes with speed, the initial TWR and how that changes with altitude (which in turn depends on both your atmospheric ISP and vacuum ISP and on your payload and stage dry mass fractions), and on how you stage and all of the above for each further stage.

There are only rules of thumb. The lower your start TWR the higher or faster you need to be before your gravity turn. If you stage to a low TWR stage you will also need to turn later. Turn shape actually shouldn't have much effect for an optimal turn since for an optimal turn after the initial pitch over you should be locked exactly prograde (AoA limit to about 1degree), however I think it does have an effect on how much you pitch over initially.

That is for an optimal turn though, for a general safe turn an AoA limit of about 5 degrees and about 50% shape will usually get your payload to space if you have good TWRs on your stages.

Hi! thanks for working on MJ to update it for 1.0.2! One quick note -- the maneuver node planner in the latest dev build (the only one I've used, so I can't tell you when it may have started) seems not to properly 'straddle' maneuver nodes; that is to say, split up the use of dV to optimize the burn. Instead it burns at t-0 from the node, which can result in an inefficient burn, especially on long, low TWR burns.

e: it also seems to treat planets/moons as points with regard to 'adjust closest approach', not taking the correct planetary radius into account. For example, the mun's equatorial radius is 100km, and to correctly calculate a 15km closest approach I had to type 115km as the closest approach. Doesn't seem to do this with other commands so far, such as 'adjust Pe', just the closest approach.

Edited by yuravian
update info

Excuse me, but does the latest dev version of MechJeb2 work with 1.0.2? I've been having trouble docking and plotting courses, so this is like a holy grail to me. I appreciate the time it takes to make these things, but I would like to be able to play a stable version that works with the current KSP update. Thank you for your time! :D

Hey guys, I downloaded KSP 2.5 and MechJeb, unziped it in the folder and now I can see in the game the pod and other stuff in "controls", but I dont see the button for opening up the MechJeb itself. Basically, only thing I can do is to attach the control stuff to the rocket or use the pod. No other buttons, or anything. Any suggestions how to fix it? Thank you.

Along with the other reports here, I'll say this. Whenever I try to follow a waypoint, the module divides my top speed by 5, and wont allow me to go back up, but will let me go down. It's a minor inconvenience, but I'd appreciate for it to be looked into before the next update.

EDIT: Oh of course it starts working RIGHT AFTER I post about it. Are you kidding me...

Edited by Xannari Ferrows

Hi! thanks for working on MJ to update it for 1.0.2! One quick note -- the maneuver node planner in the latest dev build (the only one I've used, so I can't tell you when it may have started) seems not to properly 'straddle' maneuver nodes; that is to say, split up the use of dV to optimize the burn. Instead it burns at t-0 from the node, which can result in an inefficient burn, especially on long, low TWR burns.

e: it also seems to treat planets/moons as points with regard to 'adjust closest approach', not taking the correct planetary radius into account. For example, the mun's equatorial radius is 100km, and to correctly calculate a 15km closest approach I had to type 115km as the closest approach. Doesn't seem to do this with other commands so far, such as 'adjust Pe', just the closest approach.

I just tested that and the node was well split in two parts and the body radius is already used in that part of the code.

Mrherponaderpsherp : yes. it does.

wow, 40 seems way shallow. I'll try those and see how they go. Thx for the quick replies.

This is not .90 anymore :)

Edited by sarbian

My actual mechjeb part,like the little thing you stick onto the sides of ships, keeps exploding for seemingly no reason. Like I'll be flying and it just blows up at random. It's always been in a fairing so far but I've had it blow up in space, shortly after I leave the pad... Is it just me doing something?