[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

My actual mechjeb part,like the little thing you stick onto the sides of ships, keeps exploding for seemingly no reason. Like I'll be flying and it just blows up at random. It's always been in a fairing so far but I've had it blow up in space, shortly after I leave the pad... Is it just me doing something?

That is SO Kerbal. Having said that, yes, it sounds like your case is isolated.

I'm having trouble getting a good install of Mechjeb2

I use Ckan and have installed it after about three other mods which all seem to run fine. No lag or anything noticable.

Then when I install Mechjeb2 from CKAN I get the following screen message:

mechjeb2.jpg

SO me thinks is the CKAN version not up to date? Its version 2.50.

Any good advice?

I just tested that and the node was well split in two parts and the body radius is already used in that part of the code.

Mrherponaderpsherp : yes. it does.

This is not .90 anymore :)

odd, it seems to be following body radius for everything but the moon. maybe a reinstall is in order. Mine definitely burns nodes at t-0, however.

Hey guys, I downloaded KSP 2.5 and MechJeb, unziped it in the folder and now I can see in the game the pod and other stuff in "controls", but I dont see the button for opening up the MechJeb itself. Basically, only thing I can do is to attach the control stuff to the rocket or use the pod. No other buttons, or anything. Any suggestions how to fix it? Thank you.

Make sure you didn't leave the unzip package or dll in the base gamedata folder. Did this myself today updating to the latest dev version and had the same missing buttons problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Also found a bug. I don't have a github account so I'll just report it here.

Autostaging is not opening parachutes at all. I even set the chutes to open a stage early, and nothing. I'm using the #460 build. I do have FAR, and RealChutes installed with auto-arming enabled. I thought it might be a problem with RC, but manual staging using the spacebar works fine. I was testing with stock Mk16 chutes so has to be how MJ is staging.

Here's a bug. Enabling use RCS for small corrections in landing guidance turns off RCS when it uses the thrusters then doesn't turn RCS back on so it can use it to control pitch/yaw/roll during descent.

Build 460 got a lander down on land for me tonight but way short of KSC because it kept shutting off RCS so the lander wobbled too much, causing too much drag to make it to the space center.

Also still bugged is to set the target to KSC Pad or VAB the set button has to be clicked twice. The first time it displays Target: N/A Click a second time and it displays the target coordinates.

Make sure you didn't leave the unzip package or dll in the base gamedata folder. Did this myself today updating to the latest dev version and had the same missing buttons problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Autostaging is not opening parachutes at all. I even set the chutes to open a stage early, and nothing. I'm using the #460 build. I do have FAR, and RealChutes installed with auto-arming enabled. I thought it might be a problem with RC, but manual staging using the spacebar works fine. I was testing with stock Mk16 chutes so has to be how MJ is staging.

I did not leave it there. I put it in the main folder and it is still not working. Should it be somewhere else? Thanks for the patience...

I did not leave it there. I put it in the main folder and it is still not working. Should it be somewhere else? Thanks for the patience...

Unless something has changed mods are supposed to go in the Game Data folder.

Unless something has changed mods are supposed to go in the Game Data folder.

I tried that one too... Still not working and still having same problem - have the pod and the control mechjeb in the option - can attach it to the ship but no button to turn the mechjeb on... Damn, I guess old school flying is the last option

odd, it seems to be following body radius for everything but the moon. maybe a reinstall is in order. Mine definitely burns nodes at t-0, however.

Hum, did you activate the engine manually instead of staging ? I just fixed something related to that (not a proper fix but it will work until the real problem is fixed)

DerOverlord : MJ does not know about RC parachute. Nothing I can do for now.

That is SO Kerbal. Having said that, yes, it sounds like your case is isolated.

The case is typically one of the first parts to display heating issues on my craft. I have problems with the case still causing drag even when in fairings/cargo bays. I destroyed a space plane with an off center MechJeb case in a cargo bay. (at about 1000 m/s the drag from the case became to strong to fight and spun the plane with predictable results).

If it is generating drag, then could it be also be subject to direct heating (making indirect even worse) even when in bays/fairings?

- - - Updated - - -

In Real Chutes do you have the option checked that states the part has to be going DOWN in order for the chutes to deploy?

In Real Chutes do you have the option checked that states the part has to be going DOWN in order for the chutes to deploy?

Thought about that, and disabled it for each chute to no avail. It's only a big deal because I'm dropping 16 solid boosters in the 1st stage @2km, and without the chutes they are crashing into and wiping out the launch pad. Not only that, but I'm not getting credit from Stage Recovery since I can't get 22km away before they hit the ground. Staging manually opens the chutes and life is good. I'll just have to remember to kick autostaging back in after.

Since RealChuteLite is now part of FAR, and just about everyone uses FAR, I suppose this will need to be fixed sooner or later.

I got a couple of MJ math exception errors in a particular situation, running build 461.

When I had my ship match planes at the target's ascending node in the screenshot below, I got this error:

ArithmeticException: NAN
at System.Math.Sign (Double value) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Orbit.solveEccentricAnomalyExtremeEcc (Double M, Double ecc, Int32 iterations) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Orbit.getRelativePositionAtT (Double T) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Orbit.getPositionAtT (Double T) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Orbit.getPositionAtUT (Double UT) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Orbit.SolveClosestApproach (.Orbit p, .Orbit s, System.Double& UT, Double dT, Double threshold, Double MinUT, Double MaxUT, Double epsilon, Int32 maxIterations, System.Int32& iterationCount) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PatchedConics.CalculatePatch (.Orbit p, .Orbit nextPatch, Double startEpoch, .SolverParameters pars, .CelestialBody targetBody) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PatchedConicSolver.CheckNextManeuver (Int32 nodeIdx, .Orbit nodePatch, Int32 patchesAhead) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PatchedConicSolver.CheckNextManeuver (Int32 nodeIdx, .Orbit nodePatch, Int32 patchesAhead) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PatchedConicSolver.UpdateFlightPlan () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ManeuverNode.OnGizmoUpdated (Vector3d dV, Double ut) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MuMech.VesselExtensions.PlaceManeuverNode (.Vessel vessel, .Orbit patch, Vector3d dV, Double UT) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MuMech.MechJebModuleManeuverPlanner.WindowGUI (Int32 windowID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUILayout+LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (Int32 windowID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

In that particular situation (I probably should have made a quicksave, given how specific the situation is), when I do create or create and execute node, it does the error and fails to actually execute it when I click create and execute. Hitting execute node afterwards works normally though.

Full output log: http://sta.sh/019iir2p10uc

The patchedconics error spam is when I accidentially clicked fine tune closest approach to target twice, I think, I forget the exact trigger. Looks like a KSP error though and not coming from MJ.

screenshot64_zpsn3aqslmj.png

So what is the status of MechJeb in regards to stock aerodynamics? Since 1.0 I've noticed that MJ has a really hard time limiting to terminal velocity with ascent guidance. Pre-1.0 it would throttle smoothly as it climbed higher, now it seems to just reach a hard cap and cut the throttle, and then relight to 100% a few seconds later and repeat this process for a while.

I have yet to try out MJ 2.5.1, which I will do now just to make sure that hasn't been fixed.

I just did a couple tests, one with a Saturn V type rocket and one with a small Redstone type rocket (a 3.75m beast vs a 1.25m bumblebee). The Redstone did as I described and kept cutting the throttle, sending the vehicle tumbling out of control as a result of loss of vector thrust. The Saturn V however seemed to just ignore the terminal velocity limiter and simply burned red through the atmosphere to reach the targeted apoapsis in about fifteen seconds, although because the engine never cut out if flew straight and true.

Edited by Bobe

So what is the status of MechJeb in regards to stock aerodynamics? Since 1.0 I've noticed that MJ has a really hard time limiting to terminal velocity with ascent guidance. Pre-1.0 it would throttle smoothly as it climbed higher, now it seems to just reach a hard cap and cut the throttle, and then relight to 100% a few seconds later and repeat this process for a while.

I have yet to try out MJ 2.5.1, which I will do now just to make sure that hasn't been fixed.

I haven't had a problem with that, but then again, I don't use that and instead use limit acceleration to 18m/s until around 20-25km. Which is what I used in FAR in 0.90.

Though yeah the couple times that I have used it, it just hits a hard cap and cuts the throttle like you said.

ok,I've been using the dev version of Mechjeb for the past few days

1 of the reason was that I had a rescue kerbal mission on the Mün,& the only room in that area that wasn't a 45° slope was half the size of the launchpad at KSC (& the nearest large flat area was 20 km away)

so I've been MJ for automating landing,docking & executing nodes,the precise stuff where I can't pinpoint the ship fast enough on my own.

I had been using MJ in the past to also launch complicated crafts,however currently I finding myself being able to build complex craft capable of getting through Kerbin atmo easily & MJ just doing the old stuff,that unfortunate now seems to result in parachutes burning up on launch

Uh, what ? Can you explain what your problem a bit more ?

smjjames : I ll see what I can do. I also need to fix the one that trigger with the vessel is landed that I forgot to fix before the new official release...

Thought about that, and disabled it for each chute to no avail. It's only a big deal because I'm dropping 16 solid boosters in the 1st stage @2km, and without the chutes they are crashing into and wiping out the launch pad. Not only that, but I'm not getting credit from Stage Recovery since I can't get 22km away before they hit the ground. Staging manually opens the chutes and life is good. I'll just have to remember to kick autostaging back in after.

Since RealChuteLite is now part of FAR, and just about everyone uses FAR, I suppose this will need to be fixed sooner or later.

I think that your problem has nothing to do with MJ.

The chutes that don't open when staging is not related to MJ. I'll have a look at how RC handle staging but MJ just use the standard call for staging.

Is it just me or MJ messes up the DV calculations in DV-information window? Those figures are simply wrong (or showing different values from the same ship at different times). KER shows the correct ones.

I've been in Hohmann transfer from Eve to Gilly and MJ showed ~2.2 km/s dV, I entered Gilly's SOI and MJ showed ~4 km/s dV.

I just did a couple tests, one with a Saturn V type rocket and one with a small Redstone type rocket (a 3.75m beast vs a 1.25m bumblebee). The Redstone did as I described and kept cutting the throttle, sending the vehicle tumbling out of control as a result of loss of vector thrust. The Saturn V however seemed to just ignore the terminal velocity limiter and simply burned red through the atmosphere to reach the targeted apoapsis in about fifteen seconds, although because the engine never cut out if flew straight and true.

15 seconds? Dang. Also, the mach and reentry effects aren't actually indicators of terminal velocity. Confusing, I know, I was confused by that for a while myself.

smjjames : I ll see what I can do. I also need to fix the one that trigger with the vessel is landed that I forgot to fix before the new official release...

Oh, I should have mentioned it yesterday, but I reproduced it again in 462. I was in a similarily long and eccentric orbit (actually I think it was somewhat longer and somewhat more eccentric, but similar orbit) with my ship between Laythes and Valls orbit with a new Laythe encounter right behind me when I tried doing fine tune closest approach to target (target being Laythe so I could fine tune the orbit I wanted), it simply refused to create the node. After I went past the apoapsis, it worked fine. So, I believe that error has to do with long travel times and the fact that the moons will have done many orbits in that period of time. Doesn't explain why it made the node successfully that first time and refused to the second time though. Don't have the output log for that second one however.

Edited by smjjames

Hum, did you activate the engine manually instead of staging ? I just fixed something related to that (not a proper fix but it will work until the real problem is fixed)

DerOverlord : MJ does not know about RC parachute. Nothing I can do for now.

Looks like a reinstall fixed it. Not sure if it was a difference between 459 and 460, or if I just had a screwy install, but it's all gravy now. Thanks again for your work!

15 seconds? Dang.

Maybe a bit exaggerated, but it was very fast. Obviously the trajectory was awfully steep because the AoA limit was on 5 degrees, but it got there.

Edited by Bobe