[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

I understand your frustration but this is a MAJOR CHANGE in the mod. People used MJ for a long time and expect some behavior that was changed. A changelog with a brief description on the first page might help a lot.

Ok, I'll try my best to not use French here.

I made a change that makes 95% of sane rockets designs fly without any required config from the user. If you want to see how great the old system is then edit the ascent path and ask for the old hard turn at 8km.

Somehow people are still coming here to complain that I made that change.

If you have bugs (AKA things that do not work as intended) I welcome your clear reports. (thanks slaintemaith and the others).

If you have cool idea I am all hear (but you may have to wait)

If you have code I welcome it.

If you have complains... Well, tough luck. Get a refund ticket and wait in line.

Edited by sarbian

New Aero definitely does not work well with MechJeb. MJ is relatively worthless imo as it stands. Inclinations are incoherent, gravity turns don't work when scheduled or Aero just causes complete loss of stability... MJ was the perfect mod for .90, why can't it work for 1.0.2?

New Aero definitely does not work well with MechJeb. MJ is relatively worthless imo as it stands. Inclinations are incoherent, gravity turns don't work when scheduled or Aero just causes complete loss of stability... MJ was the perfect mod for .90, why can't it work for 1.0.2?

Do you think you can do better? Go ahead, put your money where your mouth is.

You'll find that this forum doesn't respond well to trolls like yourself.

Well, it might help if you give some specifics. Also if you did some reading of past posts!

The new aero works with MJ. Your problem is that you haven't set the parameters properly.

Maybe if you give some specifics, we can provide some help.

To start, you are probably accelerating much too fast, and MJ is starting the turn because you are hitting the default limit of 100 m/s at a very low altitude. Try limiting your acceleration to 15-20 m/sec and see what happens.

If you don't like it, then don't use it. But don't come here and insult authors who put their own time into these mods. It works, you just have to learn how to use it again since the new aero changed a lot of stuff

LinuxGuruGamer

So here's one that just hit me.

MJ version: 2.5.1 built from 70c3bc2921a3896ce890f9c7d4ea6499d841db4c

Kerbal Version: 1.0.2

Very dirty install with HotRockets, RemoteTech, TacLS, RealChutes and more

Steps to reproduce:

1) Lander on Minmus with no RCS

2) Select a close by target on Landing guidance (attempting to hop from biome to biome)

3) Lift off and gain 2,000-ish altitude

4) Press 'Land at target'

- MJ executes a correct burn to get the profile right and the landing position correct ("show landing predictions" is checked).

- MJ time accelerates to the 500m burn

- 500m burn is successful

- MJ begins to 'spin' the rocket around with zero velocity making no progress

5) Abort the landing guidance and wait a second for the rocket to fall a bit

6) Press 'Land at Target'

- MJ time accelerates and fails to pull out with a resultant lithobrake.

Noted Results:

* When there's no RCS (and 'use RCS for fine tuning' was not checked) the fine tuning seems to be too fine for the high TWR rockets on the lander (4xLV-909s on Minmus with probably 50+ local TWR) so it spins at the 500m stop.

* When 'Land at Target' is pressed at an altitude of less than 500m and falling the time accell should not be engaged as aggressively (feels like there's a state bug where it thinks its high over the target and its accellerating down to 500m when its been initialized below 500m)

KSP.log: https://gist.github.com/b1fdb22b1cf35497c732

EDIT: This commented out code might be close to where the problem is:

https://github.com/MuMech/MechJeb2/blob/master/MechJeb2/LandingAutopilot/CoastToDeceleration.cs#L80-L87

(I'll see if I can replicate later tonight when I've got hyperedit, quicksave allowed, and some debugging output added to MJ...)

EDIT2: Pull Request: https://github.com/MuMech/MechJeb2/pull/592

Edited by Jim DiGriz

@ those having ascent problems: Use this ascent profile as your starting point and tweak from there. The only problems that I've had with Ascent AP since the initial days were due to rocket design, so tweak around with the ships as well, get a feel for the new aero. I'll restate that I haven't even NEEDED to use the AoA limiter.

Okay, after a bit of investigation, it appears it's triggering the turn at the start velocity, which is taking precedence over the altitude. Unless I'm missing something, there's no way to change the Turn start velocity? Would be nice to be able to up that a bit. Or are there aerodynamic reasons for keeping it low?

Not trying to complain, just understand and perhaps suggest.

- - - Updated - - -

Might have the node bug reproduced. I doubt this will help you, since it's essentially the same one I wrote up yesterday, but here we go:

MJ Version: 2.5.1.0-462

Kerbal Version: 1.0.2.842

Clean Install, Mechjeb is the only mod installed.

Steps to reproduce:

1) Extract "To Save Folder.zip" in your save game folder.

2) Open KSP

3) Select "Start Game"

4) Select "Resume Saved"

5) Select "To Save Folder" and Continue

6) Press "Esc" at the KSC screen

7) Select "Load Save..."

8) Select "quicksave" and Select.

9) From the open Manuever Planner, select "Fine Tune Closest Approach With Target

10) Select "Remove All Nodes"

11) Select "Create and Execute"

(Further Steps, although the fault is here)

12) Warp until "Node in T-" reaches a period you're comfortable waiting out.

13) Wait that time.

Noted Result:

Although the burn node is created, time is not accelerated to the node time, and if the node time is waited out, the burn still does not occur. Est. Burn shows N/A even though delta-V information is displayed in the nav ball.

Expected Result:

Time should automatically accelerate to the node time, Est. Burn should display properly, and the burn should occur automatically.

Notes:

***Important*** (maybe): This only seems to happen with -unkerballed- craft. When you have kerbals flying, everything seems to work just fine.

There only appears to be one MJ2.AR202 unit on the current craft.

Thanks for your time!

My situation was very similar. It was an unkerballed craft, 1 AR202 unit. I hadn't tried it with a piloted craft. Same builds, though I have a lot of other mods.

If it would be helpful, I can post screenshots/logs, too.

Cheers,

-BS

I've had a similar issue but that only happens to me when it's trying to use engines that aren't available on the current stage of the ship. If the stage is empty MechJeb won't stage to get to the one with engines. It just sort of expects invisible engines to do the work.

When I first updated 2.5.1 it worked great in sandbox. Then I tryed it in Career and the Maneuver planner and Ascent planner stopped engaging, says it is on but engines don't cut in and I can't control it either weird.

Oh and Assent and Maneuver planner needs to be moved to the bottom of the tech tree, KSP moved Unmanned Tech up near the top so it should be changed to Advanced Flight

So back to 2.5.0.0 for now it works.

Just edit Ascent Path to

Start Altitude - .5

Turn end altitude - 60

final flight - 0

turn shape - 60

If your rocket flips it most likely means you have way to much thrust so set - limit acceleration to 15 or 20 m/s

Never had a problem with any rocket with the above settings in 2.5.0.0 running KSP 1.0.2

Use the one I posted up then.

I actually didn't have to do a whole lot of tweaking, most of the tweaking was actually in the way that I build rockets.

I just leave ascent profile set to auto and build my rockets to work with it. Some of my really old ones have launched fine just by sticking on nose cones and a few fins. I should try "Jeb's Dream" to see if it'll go up as-is since it's one I made before finding out that nosecones were useless back then. ;)

Okay, after a bit of investigation, it appears it's triggering the turn at the start velocity, which is taking precedence over the altitude. Unless I'm missing something, there's no way to change the Turn start velocity? Would be nice to be able to up that a bit. Or are there aerodynamic reasons for keeping it low?

Not trying to complain, just understand and perhaps suggest.

- - - Updated - - -

My situation was very similar. It was an unkerballed craft, 1 AR202 unit. I hadn't tried it with a piloted craft. Same builds, though I have a lot of other mods.

If it would be helpful, I can post screenshots/logs, too.

Cheers,

-BS

Ummm, if you go edit the Ascent profile, you can change the start velocity.

LGG

Ummm, if you go edit the Ascent profile, you can change the start velocity.

LGG

Hmm...I see it displayed there, but it's not an editable field. Did that change with 2.5.1? I went back to 2.5.0-460 due to the node problem. I also noticed it's in mechjeb_settings_global.cfg (and the config for the type) but editing it had no effect while the game was running. Haven't tried restarting the game after editing, though. MJ seems to rewrite those config files constantly throughout play.

fDEtElu.jpg

Cheers,

-BS

barfing_skull

see that dot next to "automatic Altitude Turn "?

do ya?

do ya?

see it?

THEN CLICK ON IT.

thanks. bye

Thanks to your gentle yet firm tutelage, I have indeed discovered that unclicking "Automatic Altitude Turn" does indeed allow me to edit that parameter. However, what was a minor bit of confusion about the UI not doing an automatic altitude turn when "Automatic Altitude Turn" was checked, you have turned into a valuable learning experience. Your benevolence in this matter has led me to explore many other facets of my humanity, and reconsider my ennui regarding discourse on the Internet. I have a shiny gold star with your name on it.

Cheers,

-BS

Sarbian,

I'm not sure this is possible, but let me throw it out there:

I'm using the Ascent Guidance part of MJ. However, I do different things with different ships. For example, my satellite launcher limits acceleration to 15 m/s, but one of my manned launchers limits it to 40 m/sec. Also, the ascent path is somewhat different for each.

Is there any way to do one of the following:

1. Save current settings with the craft itself

or

2. Have a way to save multiple MJ config settings, so that when I load a craft i can then load the appropriate MJ config

Please take this as a suggestion, it's still great the way it is.

Thanks

LGG

btw "corrective steering" on ascent guidiance ignores the "limit AoA to" completely.

I am seriously considering removing that option. It causes more problem than it solves. It is disabled in the current default.

Sarbian,

I'm not sure this is possible, but let me throw it out there:

I'm using the Ascent Guidance part of MJ. However, I do different things with different ships. For example, my satellite launcher limits acceleration to 15 m/s, but one of my manned launchers limits it to 40 m/sec. Also, the ascent path is somewhat different for each.

Is there any way to do one of the following:

1. Save current settings with the craft itself

or

2. Have a way to save multiple MJ config settings, so that when I load a craft i can then load the appropriate MJ config

Please take this as a suggestion, it's still great the way it is.

Thanks

LGG

The current system should already saves the config for the vessel 'type' so for its current "name" (so if you launch the same vessel twice it should use the same settings)

If it does not work then I may have broke it when I fixed the serialization depth problem...

Edited by sarbian

MechJeb already stores a config for each ship within MechJeb2/Plugins/PluginData/MechJeb2. I've not tried changing any of them myself, but they contain all the requisite parameters so I assume they'll do what you want.

Edit: Damn, Sarbian beat me to it. :-P

Edited by IntoSpaceAgain
Ninjaed by mod author

I am having some problems with the latest release of MechJeb. I just downloaded it and one of my custom windows is now not working properly. The "node burn countdown" and "node burn length" elements are not working properly. In the settings file you create it says for those elements the following: "id = Value:NodeExecutor.NextNodeCountdown" and "id = Value:NodeExecutor.NextNodeBurnTime". However "node burn time" works and it has for the settings file the following: "id = Value:InfoItems.NextManeuverNodeBurnTime". I don't know if this helps or not. Is there anything I need to do? Or is this something wrong with MechJeb?

Thank-you for your time.

Update: It has started working again. It didn't work around Minmus it now works around Kerbin. Anyway I will come back if it stops working again.

Edited by GuyOfNew

I am seriously considering that option. It causes more problem than it solves. It is disabled in the current default.

The current system should already saves the config for the vessel 'type' so for its current "name" (so if you launch the same vessel twice it should use the same settings)

If it does not work then I may have broke it when I fixed the serialization depth problem...

Oh, i wasn't aware of that.

thanks

LGG

I noticed two things: first the terminal velocity indicator is completely off and second the atmospheric drag indicator shows drag even when I'm well above the atmosphere (even if only picometer/second)

this was right after liftoff and the terminal velocity is ridiculously high to be so low in the atmosphere.

http://i.imgur.com/xNTlCyp.png?1

and this is the atmospheric drag indicator

http://i.imgur.com/FPElqd9.png?1

I am sure the second one is simply a floating point precision issue. You are never going to get exactly 0.0 and pm/s is effectively zero.

Edited by ctbram

I am sure the second one is simply a floating point precision issue. You are never going to get exactly 0.0 and pm/s is effectively zero.

don't really know what a floating point precision issue is but, if I remember correctly, in the previous versions of MJ once you were out of the atmosphere MJ would indicate either 0 or --

I shamelessly copied over the config file for MechJeb for all (in CKAN), and made some alterations.

Thing is I want to use certain aspects of MechJeb with every ship, such as the ascent profile guide, auto pilot for probes and such.

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand]]:Final
{
%MODULE[MechJebCore]
{
MechJebLocalSettings
{
// MechJebModuleCustomWindowEditor { unlockTechs = flightControl }
MechJebModuleSmartASS { unlockTechs = start }
MechJebModuleManeuverPlanner { unlockTechs = start }
MechJebModuleNodeEditor { unlockTechs = start }
// MechJebModuleTranslatron { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
MechJebModuleWarpHelper { unlockTechs = start }
MechJebModuleAttitudeAdjustment { unlockTechs = start }
// MechJebModuleThrustWindow { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
// MechJebModuleRCSBalancerWindow { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
MechJebModuleRoverWindow { unlockTechs = start }
MechJebModuleAscentGuidance { unlockTechs = start }
MechJebModuleLandingGuidance { unlockTechs = start }
MechJebModuleSpaceplaneGuidance { unlockTechs = start }
MechJebModuleDockingGuidance { unlockTechs = start }
//MechJebModuleRendezvousAutopilotWindow { unlockTechs = advUnmanned }
MechJebModuleRendezvousGuidance { unlockTechs = start }
}
}
}

My idea was that if I hide certain parts of the module it wouldn't show, but apparently everything is showing up. How could I do what I want? Permanently hide certain of the MJ utilities?

Plus, I've noticed that if you enable the ascent guidance and close the window, the target pointer doesn't update.

I shamelessly copied over the config file for MechJeb for all (in CKAN), and made some alterations.

Thing is I want to use certain aspects of MechJeb with every ship, such as the ascent profile guide, auto pilot for probes and such.

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand]]:Final
{
%MODULE[MechJebCore]
{
MechJebLocalSettings
{
// MechJebModuleCustomWindowEditor { unlockTechs = flightControl }
MechJebModuleSmartASS { unlockTechs = start }
MechJebModuleManeuverPlanner { unlockTechs = start }
MechJebModuleNodeEditor { unlockTechs = start }
// MechJebModuleTranslatron { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
MechJebModuleWarpHelper { unlockTechs = start }
MechJebModuleAttitudeAdjustment { unlockTechs = start }
// MechJebModuleThrustWindow { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
// MechJebModuleRCSBalancerWindow { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
MechJebModuleRoverWindow { unlockTechs = start }
MechJebModuleAscentGuidance { unlockTechs = start }
MechJebModuleLandingGuidance { unlockTechs = start }
MechJebModuleSpaceplaneGuidance { unlockTechs = start }
MechJebModuleDockingGuidance { unlockTechs = start }
//MechJebModuleRendezvousAutopilotWindow { unlockTechs = advUnmanned }
MechJebModuleRendezvousGuidance { unlockTechs = start }
}
}
}

My idea was that if I hide certain parts of the module it wouldn't show, but apparently everything is showing up. How could I do what I want? Permanently hide certain of the MJ utilities?

Plus, I've noticed that if you enable the ascent guidance and close the window, the target pointer doesn't update.

My guess would be that if you don't set unlockTechs for a module, that module is always available. If you want a module to always be locked on a particular part, set its unlockTechs to a node that doesn't exist.

My guess would be that if you don't set unlockTechs for a module, that module is always available. If you want a module to always be locked on a particular part, set its unlockTechs to a node that doesn't exist.

Humm, good one, thanks!