[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

Time to check the log, you're probably getting errors. If it's only reproduceable with that craft in that save file then save the save file and logs. Sarbian might want to see them.

Next time it happens, I'll make sure to do so

Engine is activated but throttle is all the way down

This craft is has more then sufficient maneuver speed. The thing is, since I last wrote, I successfully had MJ perform maneuvers with another, but identical craft with no issues. Now again with this craft, it moves to the maneuver node, then just sits there forever.

I was having the same issue with craft I made up that had just a probe as the control node. I finally went to github and downloaded the latest test build and it works again. Not a recommended solution but I was willing to see if this issue was just fixed somehow with a later version.

Sarbian, I'm just wondering out of curiosity what would be causing this small exception:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at MuMech.MechJebCore.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

I've seen it occasionally when going to launchpad or exiting VAB/SPH, but not real consistently, or maybe it just triggers once per situation per gameplay, not sure. Seems harmless though.

Output log example with it in there: http://sta.sh/01y83z56l7qu

For some reason, as of today when I got into KSP, I tried to make Mechjeb execute a node, through the maneuver planner, and the rightly as it should, it pointed the craft towards the node, but never engaged warp, nor activated the engine when I brought it without burn time personally. Why could this happening?

I have experienced this bug many, many times from the latest release (and previously as the dev release). Specifically, when I set to auto-execute a maneuver node for a transfer from Kerbin to Mun or Minmus. The vessel does not point itself to the node on the trackball when I auto-warp. The auto-warp fails as well. To get around this (it happens every time now), I set SMART A.S.S (NODE) and manually fire the engine.

Once I get to the next body, maneuver node auto-execute works perfectly. It's only during that transfer when problems occur.

Another problem (unsure if MJ related): as I approach a station (not docking at that time, I'm approximately 1 km) and I'm using Rendezvous Auto-pilot, my frame rate drops to 2-3 FPS. I must exit the game entirely and restart it. When I return to the vehicle to dock with station, everything is as it should be. I use other mods, so...eh, could be a conflict. Annoying, but I can live with it. I use Rendezvous Auto-pilot to get within 50 meters, then I use SMART A.S.S. to manually dock.

Edited by Apollo13

For some reason, as of today when I got into KSP, I tried to make Mechjeb execute a node, through the maneuver planner, and the rightly as it should, it pointed the craft towards the node, but never engaged warp, nor activated the engine when I brought it without burn time personally. Why could this happening?

I'm having the same behaviour since yesterday ('official' 2.5.1 update, was using dev builds before). Had updated KAC (through CKAN) that day, but reverting that did not solve the issue. Neither did re-installing No other changes in between a working MJ2 and its current state.

Nodes are created but not executed (with engines staged etc.) and autowarping does not take place. I have only tested this around Kerbin.

This is part of the log:

MechJeb module MechJebModuleMenu threw an exception in OnDestroy: System.NullReferenceException: 

at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.Component:InternalGetTransform ()

at UnityEngine.Component.get_transform () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ControlBase. () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UIScrollList.PositionHorizontally (Boolean updateExtents) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UIScrollList.PositionItems () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UIScrollList.RemoveItem (Int32 index, Boolean destroy, Boolean doEasing) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UIScrollList.RemoveItem (IUIListObject item, Boolean destroy, Boolean doEasing) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UIScrollList.RemoveItem (IUIListObject item, Boolean destroy) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ApplicationLauncher.RemoveModApplication (.ApplicationLauncherButton button) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MuMech.MechJebModuleMenu.OnDestroy () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MuMech.MechJebCore.OnDestroy () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Bare in mind this is on a modded install. I do have a a complete log/save file with craft in orbit that reproduces this but no means to upload these (yet). I will make copies before trying Bdelacroix suggestion. If you are interested I will sign up to a means to upload them.

Dropbox is a good one to use for file hosting.

Sarb, any idea on the MechJeb core exception thing?

edit: I am using the config that applies MJ to all command modules, but no idea if that affects things.

Edited by smjjames

Same problem with maneuver node, version 2.5.1.0

The only MJ related lines in the log file are these:

Loading time (I don't know if it's even related to the problem):

[ERR 02:16:06.443] AssemblyLoader: Exception loading 'SCANmechjeb': System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: The classes in the module cannot be loaded.
at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.Assembly:GetTypes (bool)
at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at AssemblyLoader.LoadAssemblies () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Additional information about this exception:

System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'SCANmechjeb.SCANmechjeb' from assembly 'SCANmechjeb, Version=1.2.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

[ERR 02:17:27.207] MechJeb moduleRegistry creation threw an exception in LoadComputerModules loading SCANmechjeb, Version=1.2.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null: System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: The classes in the module cannot be loaded.
at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.Assembly:GetTypes (bool)
at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at MuMech.MechJebCore.LoadComputerModules () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Before maneuver node:

[EXC 02:19:53.326] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
MuMech.VesselState.ComputeVesselBottomAltitude (Vessel) <0x00050>
MuMech.VesselState.get_altitudeBottom () <0x00021>
(wrapper dynamic-method) System.Runtime.CompilerServices.ExecutionScope.lambda_method (System.Runtime.CompilerServices.ExecutionScope,object) <0x0002d>
MuMech.ValueInfoItem/<ValueInfoItem>c__AnonStorey13.<>m__7D () <0x00019>
MuMech.ValueInfoItem.DrawItem () <0x00027>
MuMech.MechJebModuleCustomInfoWindow.WindowGUI (int) <0x00078>
UnityEngine.GUILayout/LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (int) <0x000bb>
UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.GUI/WindowFunction,int,UnityEngine.GUISkin,int,single,single,UnityEngine.GUIStyle) <0x00107>
[EXC 02:19:53.337] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
MuMech.VesselState.ComputeVesselBottomAltitude (Vessel) <0x00050>
MuMech.VesselState.get_altitudeBottom () <0x00021>
(wrapper dynamic-method) System.Runtime.CompilerServices.ExecutionScope.lambda_method (System.Runtime.CompilerServices.ExecutionScope,object) <0x0002d>
MuMech.ValueInfoItem/<ValueInfoItem>c__AnonStorey13.<>m__7D () <0x00019>
MuMech.ValueInfoItem.DrawItem () <0x00027>
MuMech.MechJebModuleCustomInfoWindow.WindowGUI (int) <0x00078>
UnityEngine.GUILayout/LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (int) <0x000bb>
UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.GUI/WindowFunction,int,UnityEngine.GUISkin,int,single,single,UnityEngine.GUIStyle) <0x00107>

I don't know if my save will help since it's too overloaded with mods. Also, I cannot reliably reproduce it, but after MJ fails to execute a maneuver node sometimes I cannot even fire the engines manually (the only option at this point is to quit and restart ksp).

Edited by cicatrix

Bingo! Latest dev. build did indeed fix the issues like you said. :D

Thanks a lot for maintaining and updating this mod, it really does make a difference for my KSP experience (something I should have said in my first post though)!

Hi Cicatrix,

"after MJ fails to execute a maneuver node sometimes I cannot even fire the engines manually (the only option at this point is to quit and restart ksp)."

Same, although I was able to fire the engines manually after going on EVA (which makes me think it's something to do with Mechjeb thinking the pod isn't manned)

Thanks

Mooner

I just loaded up my game and launched a ship and it told me I couldn't use certain features until I upgraded or researched something. I have been using this mod for quite a while and this has never happened to me before.

I just loaded up my game and launched a ship and it told me I couldn't use certain features until I upgraded or researched something. I have been using this mod for quite a while and this has never happened to me before.

That's normal for career and science mode. It wasn't working as it should after 1.0 came out (as some people posted) and sarbian fixed it a number of Dev builds ago and in main release 2.5.0.

Edited by smjjames

That's normal for career and science mode. It wasn't working as it should after 1.0 came out (as some people posted) and sarbian fixed it a number of Dev builds ago and in main release 2.5.0.

Is it possible to turn this off?

Yeah, I think there was something posted some pages back on the research side but I don't remember where exactly. You can also use an MM config that applies MJ to all command modules which also happens to bypass that, however, I can't post that right now as I'm using iPhone.

Not real helpful, I know, sorry. I would post the MM config for applying MJ to all command modules if I was able to since I use it myself.

I don't know enough about MM to write a script, so I use this.

Edit the cfg file: C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\MechJeb2\Parts\MechJeb2_AR202\part.cfg

Go to MechJebLocalSettings.. Set every unlocksTechs to "start"

Be advised: you'll have to do this ever time you load a new version of MJ2. So, keep a copy of that section in another text file, so you can copy/paste it back in.

Has anyone ever heard of MJ not functioning correct in Dark Multiplayer? For some reason it calculates the node to transfer to the MUN but it wont execute it

Whats also weird is it kept turning my SAS off instantly when i turned it on with no nodes programmed, and under manual control, the odd part is MJ works fine in Single Player mode

Ascent Guidance works fine, Landing Guidance works fine

Although after trying to execute the Hohman maneuver and nothing happening MJ stops responding as expected and starts freaking out all the time

Edited by Toyotawolf

I don't know enough about MM to write a script, so I use this.

Edit the cfg file: C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\MechJeb2\Parts\MechJeb2_AR202\part.cfg

Go to MechJebLocalSettings.. Set every unlocksTechs to "start"

Be advised: you'll have to do this ever time you load a new version of MJ2. So, keep a copy of that section in another text file, so you can copy/paste it back in.

The MM script to apply MJ to all command pods is actually a simple one, and one that I copied from way back in this thread somewhere.

@PART
[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand],!MODULE[MechJebCore]]:Final
{
MODULE
{
name = MechJebCore
}
}

Copy that bit of code, paste into notepad, and save as <whatever you want>.cfg into the gamedata folder. Requires module manager and you don't have to do anything when you update MJ.

I am now using build 464 and it appears the problem with maneuver nodes not executing is fixed.

Thank you.

@smjjames: I think he was asking how to get all functionality of MJ without climbing the tech tree, not adding MJ to every command module automatically. Perhaps, I misunderstood.

Edited by Apollo13

@smjjames: I think he was asking how to get all functionality of MJ without climbing the tech tree, not adding MJ to every command module automatically. Perhaps, I misunderstood.

I did say that I didn't really know how to disable the tech tree requirements but I did know another way around it. Since both options have been posted, he can choose whichever one he wants to use.

got a question to the mod.... i put the folder "mechjeb2" in my GameData folder. I started the game and wanted to launch a rocket but nothing happend. Anyone have a idea why the mod wont load or what i did wrong?

Here is the configuration file that I use with Module Manager (being posted for about the 4th time).

/////////////////////
// change the technology requirements for MechJeb
/////////////////////
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[MechJebCore]]
{
// delete any existing MechJebCore modules //
!MODULE[MechJebCore] { }

// insert MechJeb module with revised tech tree assignments//
MODULE
{
name = MechJebCore
MechJebLocalSettings {
MechJebModuleCustomWindowEditor { unlockTechs = basicRocketry }
MechJebModuleSmartASS { unlockTechs = flightControl }
MechJebModuleManeuverPlanner { unlockTechs = advRocketry }
MechJebModuleNodeEditor { unlockTechs = advRocketry }
MechJebModuleTranslatron { unlockTechs = fuelSystems }
MechJebModuleWarpHelper { unlockTechs = generalRocketry }
MechJebModuleAttitudeAdjustment { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
MechJebModuleThrustWindow { unlockTechs = basicRocketry }
MechJebModuleRCSBalancerWindow { unlockTechs = fuelSystems }
MechJebModuleRoverWindow { unlockTechs = fieldScience }
MechJebModuleAscentGuidance { unlockTechs = generalRocketry }
MechJebModuleLandingGuidance { unlockTechs = generalRocketry }
MechJebModuleSpaceplaneGuidance { unlockTechs = aerodynamicSystems }
MechJebModuleDockingGuidance { unlockTechs = specializedConstruction }
MechJebModuleRendezvousAutopilotWindow { unlockTechs = specializedConstruction }
MechJebModuleRendezvousGuidance { unlockTechs = specializedConstruction }
}
}

}

Keep in mind that this change will not unlock MechJeb capabilities that require maneuver nodes. The existence of maneuver nodes requires upgrades to the facilities at KSC. This change is a Squad decision in both Career and Science modes. If you do not like it, either play in Sandbox mode or complain to Squad.

One other suggestion that I would make is to make sure that you have upgraded all of your mods to work with the latest release. With the 1.0 release, Squad changed the rules significantly even for mods that are just different parts (i.e., no .dll file). There is no assurance that the old modded parts will work with the new KSP. For the same reason, I would recommend starting with a new game whenever Squad releases a new version. Although they may make sure that the stock parts are upwardly compatible, there is no reason to believe that they will do the same for modded parts.

These opinions are mine, but then again I follow them and I do not experience all of the problems that are reported on this forum.

skips

- - - Updated - - -

@sarbian

Do you happen to know if there is a reason for setting the "DecEndAlt" to twice the "Drag Length"? I noticed in the setup code that the landing autopilot skips atmospheric braking if the drag length is more than 70 percent of the atmosphere's depth. With the DecEndAlt set to twice the drag length, the coast will end immediately if the drag length is more than half the atmosphere's depth. I have played around with setting the DecEndAlt to 1 times the drag length (plus the altitude of the landing point), which is about 8 KM for Kerban and did not see any adverse effects. For the ships that I fly, the final descent phase starts when the ship is approximately at the terminal velocity (i.e., the drag acceleration is approximately 1 g).

In any case thanks for thinking about this issue.

skips