[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

Hi, I am having some real trouble with installing Mechjeb. I have tried to install multiple times with a fresh (0.16) install and fresh downloads of the latest (1.9.1) version of Mechjeb. I have extracted the files and copied the contents of the Parts folder into the Parts directory in the KSP folder, likewise with the Plugins folder contents into the Plugins directory, however whenever I start up the game and go to build anything, the Mechjeb parts are greyed out and it tells me that 'This part is not available in this version of KSP.'

To confirm, I have pre-ordered the game and am running 0.16 with no errors. I would be grateful for any help in solving this problem. Thanks!

Hi Darkstorm406, MechJeb needs to create a few files when it is in use, which it wont be able to do if you are running KSP on the desktop, in fact running KSP from any Windows created folder or subfolder you create in a Windows folder will introduce strange problems, I suggest you unzip KSP to a folder such as C:\Games :)

Ok cheers, I will try this and post results.

Update:

Tried this and unfortunately it didn't solve the problem. There was a slight bit of progress however: the game seemed to hang while loading at the Mechjeb parts, and it took a few restarts to get in the game, however the parts still don't work for me.

Edited by Darkstorm406

Did you unzip a new copy of KSP and MechJeb or did you move the folder?

It should "just work" as long as the most up to date MuMechLib.dll is in the plugins folder and the parts are in the parts folder, MechJeb will create a mumechlib folder within PluginData, but only if it is allowed to write to the directory, which Windows or Anti-virus will prevent.

Make sure KSP is whitelisted in your A-V, and make sure you are not running KSP from Program Files, Desktop, Downloads, or similar places, if you have done so you will find there are files in ~\application data\ksp

First, if anyone corrects me, you should probably pay attention to them. But, based on my knowledge thus far:

Molniya, Tundra, and _eostationary orbits all are designed to provide coverage over specific surface locations. They all operate on the premise that the sidereal orbital period is a specific fraction of the sidereal rotation period; i.e. your orbit moves at a specific rate compared to the surface.

Tundra and _eostationary orbits have a SOP (Sidereal Orbital Period) equal to the SRP (Sidereal rotation period).

Molniya orbits have a SOP exactly 1/2 the SRP.

Note that your Sidereal orbital period is equal to:

2pi * (a^3/GM)^0.5

Where a is the semi-major axis of your orbit (half the distance from periapsis to apoapsis, including going through the body you're orbiting)

And GM is the standard gravitational parameter

So, the altitude of the _eostationary orbit is based on the SOP (how long it takes to go all the way around the orbit from the point of view of other stars) - since it's a circular equatorial orbit, the semi-major axis is equal to the distance from the center of the planet to your spaceship, all the time. With this, you can calculate the orbital period, and if your orbital period is 6 hours, you're at the right distance. If you're at the right distance in a circular orbit, you must therefore be at the right speed to keep falling and missing the planet by the same amount all the time (i.e. orbiting).

Did you unzip a new copy of KSP and MechJeb or did you move the folder?

It should "just work" as long as the most up to date MuMechLib.dll is in the plugins folder and the parts are in the parts folder, MechJeb will create a mumechlib folder within PluginData, but only if it is allowed to write to the directory, which Windows or Anti-virus will prevent.

Make sure KSP is whitelisted in your A-V, and make sure you are not running KSP from Program Files, Desktop, Downloads, or similar places, if you have done so you will find there are files in ~\application data\ksp

Amazing! It is working. It was an A-V issue, where it was denying KSP.exe certain permissions. Thanks for your help Sal-Vager :D You're a certified genius.

Edited by Darkstorm406
Missed a full stop. Grammar - I fail it.

Orbital rendezvous aren't that hard, all you have to do is get on the same inclination as the target craft, and then if it's ahead of you in the orbit, you take a lower inside orbit to catch up. It's it's behind you, then take a higher outside orbit. Think of it not like trying to catch up with speed, but catch up by travelling a shorter distance. It's not until you get within a certain distance that changing your speed relative to the other craft is beneficial.

And also, practice! My first rendezvous was pretty poor, but once I kept trying it, it just became second nature. Also the 10+ Munar orbit rendezvous I've done probably helped as well XD it's easier to do around the Mun I think, so you could download my Apollo style ship if you want to be able to try that =3

Is there a reference somewhere on the things you can do with this plugin through modding? For instance there is the MuMechVariableEngine module class, but without going through the source code how can I tell what parameters I would need for a engine? Didn't see anything on the wiki or elsewhere.

Is there a reference somewhere on the things you can do with this plugin through modding? For instance there is the MuMechVariableEngine module class, but without going through the source code how can I tell what parameters I would need for a engine? Didn't see anything on the wiki or elsewhere.

The Variable family and other stuff are from here.

Nice plug-in but I'm having trouble deciphering thrust to weight ratio. It seems to be divided by a factor of roughly ten from the actual TWR given by the part descriptions. Is it precisely 10 or is it 9.81 (i.e. Kerbin's gravity), if the latter then does it automatically adjust itself for other SOIs?

With the release of the Space: 1999 Eagle and the Nostromo from Alien, the need for a VTOL landing solution has reared its ugly head. Can we have a VTOL landing option? Wouldn't it just be a matter of "rotating" the controls 90 degrees?

Edited by Elven_sword

Hey R4m0n, I found a bug with MechJeb. When you get close to another spacecraft, the TGT+ pointing does not work. The MechJeb seems to know that there's pointing error (it says so) but it stops and does not move to correct it. Can you investigate?