[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

After TJI (Trans-Jool Injection) burn the MechJeb worked fine...

Until about 344 days later... The Smart A.S.S. doesn't work anymore...

And I found that my Dragon Rider CM also lost it's reorientation capability...

I think this is not MechJeb-only problem, but I'm reporting it just in case...

As far as the capsule detachment after translation, here is a half-assed work around: quick save before starting your translation(f5), start your translation and note the time when you leave warp and explode, reload your quicksave (f9), re translate but start click the level 1 warp arrow when you get to near the time of your explosion.. you may have to keep clicking it. This forces a lower level of warp on the system and when you are ready for your translation burn it will no longer pop your capsule off.

I hope that make sense to everyone

Friends, I need help. How to use the autopilot to fly to other planets in the 017? I lift normal, occupying an orbit 120 km above the Kerbal, then go for a solar orbit. how to use transfer to another panets correct? how to use correct a phase angles?

Im having problems with v1.9.2 and v1.9.3 when ever i come out of a 100000x or 10,000x warp to do a transfer burn to another planet my craft will break apart. Sometime the entire craft disintergrates other times i just lose a few pieces. The only times i've made it to Duna or another other body is because i didn't lose any essential items in the warp slow down jolt. Does anyone know what i can do to fix this. Im not that good of a pilot and Mech-Jeb is making this game very frustrating.

PLEASE HELP... i know im not the only one with rockets exploding after 60 + days out in space.

I have a question about the Rendezvous module. What does "Time to AN:" and "Time to DN:" mean? The Rendezvous module dosn't have a help button like the other modules do.

AN=Ascending node

DN=Descending node

AN=Burn prograde to make transfer

DN=Burn prograde to do the opposite

AN & DN is usually used for transfers though.

Autoland works fine on Ike-I've landed almost a dozen times using it with no issues.

Duna is an issue. I find that the easiest way is to get the autoland to take you down to say, 45000 kilometers, then deactivate, burn until your speed is about 300 m/s, then re-engage. Or just use chutes+burn.

I think I'm having trouble similar to eran100's. I'm launching a ship with the Mechjeb command pod (the spherical pod) and really, there's no Earthly (Kerbally?) reason it shouldn't fly just fine. However, when reaching the set apogee with the ascent program, the ship will fire engines pointing relatively upward, instead of horizontally to establish orbit.

Furthermore, (after several tries and at last going to manual) I tried to do a Mun injection burn with the new stock NERVA engine. That led to an unusual course correction which admittedly did get me to the Mun, though not at all in the same way as in previous versions (not really a complaint, more of an observation).

I'm wondering if mechjeb is properly equipped to deal with the stock NERVA and/or if anyone else has had similar issues.

In the same breath, I'm also curious as to mechjeb's procedure for interplanetary flights.

I'm assuming it goes something like (ascent, orbit insertion, a burn to head out of Kerbal orbit into solar (Kerbol) orbit, ???)

at that point do new targets come up in the Orbit Transfer mode?

I'm just asking. Love Mechjeb, curious if I'm using it right.

Would it be possible to give Autom8 scripts access to the predicted landing site data? I made an ICBM the other day and shot a truck to different places but for close places the acending phase went too long so it had to waste fuel and time for correcting that. If I could access the landing site data I could make it stop around that with that phase.

And yeah, I know I could calculate that myself too, but I don't know how : /

Also the Translatrons Keep Vert seems to have a small problem where it doesn't fire the engine to counter falling when you tilt the rocket a bit more to the side (abusing it as height stabilisator while abusing the rocket as helicopter xD). It only seems to do that close to the center. It also sometimes try to cancel horizontal speed instead of holding it's vertical speed. Sometimes it tilted over to 60° ~ 80° and started retrograding for no real reason.

Edit: Maybe the map could save amount information with brightness which could be good to tell apart from just looking and depth with small saturation steps, maybe 1 per meter, so a 100m deep pocket would have 100 saturation less, or such. That way external programs could still make a use of that even if our eyes couldn't.

Edited by BloodyRain2k

Yeah, just tried a redesigned rocket and let Mechjeb run it's ascent program to 105k. After coasting to 105k, it made a burn that took apogee to 285k, but did create an orbit. My rocket was put on a course to impact downrange. Why is this happening?

There is an issue with this version. I don't know if it is previous versions or not.

I am trying to use the transfer to Minmus option. It does the initial transfer burn just fine. Then it warps and says it is lowering the final periapsis. the problem is the ship just sits there and wobbles back and forth over an over and over again, with a little spurt of an engine fire in the center of the wobble. It will not turn on the SAS to keep it on the angle for the burn, and turning on RCS amplifies the issue even more, increasing the wobble range by 100% and wasting all of my RCS fuel! It seems like it is in a feedback resonance with the coding of this plugin. I also think that my ship may lust be too large for the calculations to work right on.

The other thing it does is it keeps doing tiny little course corrections (I see the control needles vibrating back and forth very rapididly) and trying to warp. So it keeps spamming me with the "cannot warp" message, then eventually it does warp and one of the needles is off center and my ship goes out of control, or worse yet, if I have my RCS on, if flies half way to minmus with my RCS firing and wastes 3/4 of a big tank of RCS fuel while spinning me all over the place. It needs to stop doing any course corrections before it tries to warp at all to function right.

Edited by NolanSyKinsley

Not convinced the autostaging is working in 192. Will do more testing?

I can confirm this; autostaging does not work when the separator rockets are on the next stage (at least).

Example .craft at http://pastebin.com/zrxpHF4m - be warned, it's a few hundred part rocket. The very first stage dropping off (the turbojets) is _not_ autostaged by the Mechjeb Ascent Autopilot, all other stages are fine. That stage was fine prior to the little tiny separator rockets being put on (four total, two each on the jet assembly directly below the 3200L tanks. All stages after the stage with the separator rockets also work fine with autostaging.

Bug Report:

I was trying to aerobrake at Jool today. Anytime I opened the Landing Autopilot window I lost all attitude control, but kept throttle control. The autopilot was not active, only open. Closing the autopilot fixed the issue. The autopilot did not give me information about my aerobraking maneuver like it does on Kerbin or Duna.

Here's an interesting problem. I'm building an ocean-going ship using a MechJeb control unit. Under V.16 I used the "Instrument Landing System" to set a course for the vessel, with the altitude set at "0". This worked fine. Now under V.17 and MechJeb V.1.9.2 the ship no longer stays on the heading set, but turns to the right (starboard) and goes in circles. Haven't tried V.1.9.3 yet, but will download and give it a try tomorrow.

Nothing that affects most players, but it does seem to point to something broken in MechJeb.

It seems Mechjeb activates SAS acidentally. It doesn't do the gravity turn because the SAS fights back. This error occured in an earlier version, too.
Yeah, just tried a redesigned rocket and let Mechjeb run it's ascent program to 105k. After coasting to 105k, it made a burn that took apogee to 285k, but did create an orbit. My rocket was put on a course to impact downrange. Why is this happening?

Do your rockets have enough turning power? I've had this problem only when the rockets turning capability was too low. Also MJ doesn't accidentally enable SAS, it often uses it for stabilisation.

I can confirm this; autostaging does not work when the separator rockets are on the next stage (at least).

Example .craft at http://pastebin.com/zrxpHF4m - be warned, it's a few hundred part rocket. The very first stage dropping off (the turbojets) is _not_ autostaged by the Mechjeb Ascent Autopilot, all other stages are fine. That stage was fine prior to the little tiny separator rockets being put on (four total, two each on the jet assembly directly below the 3200L tanks. All stages after the stage with the separator rockets also work fine with autostaging.

For me it works mosttimes, though at some points it does act weird: When I tried to get my solar satellite into space the first time I gave the solars an extra stage cause else they were in danger of getting ripped off by the decoupled rockets from the to-orbit phase. For some reason MJ fired into that stage right after starting said rockets even though their tanks which were also in their stage were just starting to empty.

Another time, though this isn't negative, the auto stage arranging messed up and the first stage was just struts and such and MJ simply fired through that into the first real stage after hitting space. Weird is that this didn't work for another rocket.

Yea, I am having the issues with the SAS not turning off for the gravity turn, and it is on a ship that it was working fine on earlier today. MechJeb's is acting all sorts of weird. Sometimes it works fine, others it puts me on a 10 degree inclination for no reason, even turns on the SAS and holds it there when I am pointing 40 degrees off target. Another odd thing, with the end turn altitude in the ascent control, the input box is screwed up. I cannot click at the end of the numbers and backspace them out, I have to delete from the left side of them, and if I type "150" it comes out "051" so I have to input the numbers backwards. **edit** well that last issue fixed itself. Also, these issues are with the latest beta release of MechJeb. The 1.9.2 works fine, but is missing some features I like.

Edited by NolanSyKinsley

Another issue I've found, the mechjeb pod that can land itself doesn't like to connect to anything in the latest update

Had that since 1.6, in general half the time nothing connects in 1.6. They really screwed something up..

It never works for me..

I press space bar to turn on engines, Press engage, and it doesn't fly. Help?

You might be having the same problem as me. For some reason the command pod version of mechjeb isn't being counted as a way you can fly the ship. I keep getting the "You need at least one crew member to fly" error when attempting to launch.