[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

Fairly recent addition to the forums here, and i have a question regarding the latest version of MechJeb.

For some reason, whenever i attempt to do polar orbit (heading 0 or 180), the ship enters an orbit that is NOT polar, but a normal east-west orbit. The same happens if i set inclination to + or - 90. I'm not sure if there is any particular "trick" to using MechJeb to do polar orbits, as i really didn't find anything on the forums.

I've tried doing polar orbits without Mechjeb, but to say the least those didn't end well.

I would appreciate any helpful advice on obtaining polar orbits (with or without MechJeb), i would really appreciate it.

Thanks.

For some reason, whenever i attempt to do polar orbit (heading 0 or 180), the ship enters an orbit that is NOT polar, but a normal east-west orbit. The same happens if i set inclination to + or - 90. I'm not sure if there is any particular "trick" to using MechJeb to do polar orbits, as i really didn't find anything on the forums.

Are putting 0 or 180 in your ascent autopilot? Because that refers to your inclination and not heading. If you want to your heading to be 0 or 180 you should put 90 or 270 into the inclination spot on your autopilot.

Edited by undragonslayer7
fixed a typo

Fairly recent addition to the forums here, and i have a question regarding the latest version of MechJeb.

I've tried doing polar orbits without Mechjeb, but to say the least those didn't end well.

I would appreciate any helpful advice on obtaining polar orbits (with or without MechJeb), i would really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Are putting 0 or 180 in your ascent autopilot? Because that refers to your inclination and not heading. If you want to your heading to be 0 or 180 you should put 90 or 270 into the inclination spot on your autopilot.

Or simply press the inclination button to change it to heading.

Interestingly enough, i've tried it with both the 0 and 180 heading, and it just doesn't seem to make any difference. I must be doing something wrong, i just can't for the life of me figure out what that is.

Thanks for the reply. Back to fiddling i guess.

Hmmm, is there any way to make MechJeb burn for a specific delta-v? MechJeb's burns are far more accurate than anything I do by hand. It seems somewhat obvious that the information to calculate a burn is all there already, just lacking any way to tell it what to do. (Unless I'm missing some part of Autom8.)

as of right now I only use the translatron for one single purpose: its panic button to go through all the stages

I never really found out what its true purpose is, can somebody tell me this?

as of right now I only use the translatron for one single purpose: its panic button to go through all the stages

I never really found out what its true purpose is, can somebody tell me this?

I found it can be used to hover on engine thrust very nicely. Use the "keep vert" option, set the desired vertical speed to 0, and you can fly around by pitching and yawing your ship, the Translatron will adjust throttle to keep you in the air at whatever angle.

Is there a way to make Mechjeb rendezvous ahead of a target? I'm setting up a satellite constellation and I'm having trouble spacing my communications satellites evenly around their orbit. I know Mechjeb can rendezvous with a target, but is there any way I can make it rendezvous with an empty point in space/imaginary satellite? I need to time the launch to get my payload so many degrees ahead of or behind a known target and I'm having a load of trouble doing so...

Is there a way to make Mechjeb rendezvous ahead of a target? I'm setting up a satellite constellation and I'm having trouble spacing my communications satellites evenly around their orbit. I know Mechjeb can rendezvous with a target, but is there any way I can make it rendezvous with an empty point in space/imaginary satellite? I need to time the launch to get my payload so many degrees ahead of or behind a known target and I'm having a load of trouble doing so...

I was just playing around with this 10 minutes ago ha, open up Smart A.S.S. click the help button, and the last part explains about exactly what you are wanting to do.

Why are longitudes still reversed in 1.9.2 ? (+90 = west , -90 = east)

It is maybe trivial, but still in error and confusing.. have to think opposite.

Magnetic east has always been 90 (right), and west is 270 (-90, left), and math quadrants are : > x(pos) | ^ y(pos) | < x(neg) | v y(neg) , so?

+90=west maybe could be true if ur like into right to left reading case :P, but is still mathematically incorrect.

Plz fix that.

Hehe

Smart.a$$

Edited by elpucko

Does anyone have a fix for my problem then?

I must be stupid. Whenever i download the latest mumech, it just says ''The type part isn't available in this version of KSP''.

But it's only for the MechJebs themselves. It isn't happening for the MJ landing legs.