[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

While trying to get some things to Duna I noticed that MechJeb tries to correct the course mid-way way too soon, it kept swinging back and forth (was a rather heavy lump) and maybe, just maybe, pulsed the engines once. After like 5 min of 4x I gave up and tried my luck myself.

Using SASS I got it done faster than it, though probably not as fuel efficient but then again, done in a few min is probably better than trying for a day.

But the slow response of that lump wasn't the problem, when I tried it with a lightweight satellite it had the same problem for some reason.

Maybe it should aim for multiple corrections to get closer than just that one that seems to start way too soon. "Way too soon" here being 2 / 3 from Kerbin to Duna.

Or just try to turn more carefully when the ship's heavy but I guess the question is how to define "heavy"...

It would also for these cases be nice if it could continue an encounter attempt if you have manually fixed something like the above but don't really know where to aim now (or not have the fuel to do guessing).

Another thing I was wondering, does Autom8 have file writing access? Cause if I could maybe write a logger for the Kethane Scanner so I won't have to measure out a pocket's position from the ever again resetting map data : /

Well that is if it also could access that scanner which I bet it can't (yet?)

I also found out my other idea from the other day works, abusing Smart A.S.S.'s Retrograde and Translatrons Keep Vert as landing assistant. Thought the results can be unexpected.

I just had to turn off Kill H/S : / didn't know that when I suggested this as new feature while it was already there XD

Anyways, MechJeb's great and I'm really glad it was made, I'm just too lazy (and most times not even able) to fly the pieces of junk I'm building so it's a great help for that ^^

One thing I hope that could be added (I know you could Autom8 that probably, but I couldn't calculate that for my life) is using a rather direct encounting way instead of the fuel efficient one.

Though there's only one case where you can really afford this and that's with the rare solar powered things.

I already had more than enough problems packing all the fuel into the lump to even get to Duna.

Firstly: I thought that MechJeb couldnt transfer to planets because the velocities and altitudes of said planets constantly change.

Secondly: MechJeb has issues with landing on other planets. It brakes way too late. How can I fix this, because every time I've tried to land on Duna, I put in coords, and always come in too fast.

1.: I am sure, this was already mentioned, but would it be possible to include an after-aerobraking apoapsis in the orbital informations? The Landing operation only displayes this if engaged to land. I personally use aerobraking maneuvers to adjust the apoapsis of my satelites getting an exact orbit out of it is impossible.

2.: Is it possible to start transfer to Duna, Eve and so forth inside of Kerbin SOI? Currently I'm more relying on luck, than on actual facts, regarding the initial burn out of Kerbin SOI.

Greets Raven

Is it possible to start transfer to Duna, Eve and so forth inside of Kerbin SOI? Currently I'm more relying on luck, than on actual facts, regarding the initial burn out of Kerbin SOI.

Greets Raven

Yes. Use ksp.olex.biz to find your phase angle ejection angle, and ejection velocity needed, and you will be able to go straight from Kerbin directly to Duna, Jool, etc. without any pesky adjustments until you get there. It's one long burn.

Yes. Use ksp.olex.biz to find your phase angle ejection angle, and ejection velocity needed, and you will be able to go straight from Kerbin directly to Duna, Jool, etc. without any pesky adjustments until you get there. It's one long burn.

Use what? and how do you calculate the burn times and angles?

Yes. You just get into sun orbit and the options will be there (where Mun & Minmus were).

I just get into orbit, then when I'm on the dark side of Kerbin I go max throttle until my orbit gets past Minmus and then turns yellow indicatin sun orbit. I then warp until the yellow line turns blue. The planets will show up under the transfer button. Once transfered to the planet orbit, the moons for that planet will show up under the transfer button.

The transfer button will only show the things in the orbit the ship is in....when in Kerbin orbit it will show Mun and Minmus, when in sun orbit it will show all the planets, when in Duna orbit it will show Ike...etc.

The best way for me to get to the inner planets of Eve and Moho is to retro burn from sun orbit to an orbit between the Sun and the planet I want to go to.... it seems Mechjeb finds planets further out much easier than finding planets going closer to the sun from MechJeb's orbit......(I'm not sure this sentence made sence, but I hope you know what I mean).

:) Yay, thanks man!!

if you go to that site, it has a calculator that will do all of the equations for you! AND it explains what everything is, nd how to find it. I put a protracter up to my screen, and all ofmy injections have worked out perfectly.

I can't remember if I've posted in this thread before, so brace for incoming mod praise. MechJeb completely changed the game for me in a wonderful way. I'm not particularly talented at math and absolutely awful at manually piloting any kind of vehicles in KSP, but with MechJeb I've visited every body in the solar system that I had any interest in at all. Excellent work, and please keep it up.

On another note the manual appears to be somewhat out of date. It hasn't been updated since May, and there have been several new features added since then.

I don't know if anyone has had this already but it seems Mechjeb is lagging when im close to orbit with duna. I turn it off and the frames go back to normal. Its weird. I never have had this issue before. It is random too and not always. I guess Mechjeb is spamming all the math equations causing issues maybe?

"...I put a protracter up to my screen,..."

Squad clearly wants to prove that one does not have to be a big budget, software giant to make a commercially viable, top level game. Any add-on, user created mod that relies on a protractor being held up to a monitor cannot be considered a competent addition to the game. As this game evolves and flight operation difficulty increases, the automated 'flight computer' mod that has the best chance to help this product meet it's high aim will be the one that is all inclusive of beginners and space game grognards and provides all support on-screen and in-game.

"...I put a protracter up to my screen,..."

Squad clearly wants to prove that one does not have to be a big budget, software giant to make a commercially viable, top level game. Any add-on, user created mod that relies on a protractor being held up to a monitor cannot be considered a competent addition to the game. As this game evolves and flight operation difficulty increases, the automated 'flight computer' mod that has the best chance to help this product meet it's high aim will be the one that is all inclusive of beginners and space game grognards and provides all support on-screen and in-game.

I have to agree with you. The notion that users must understand and master basic calculus and trigonometry in order to play the game properly and visit other planets is a ridiculous one.

Is it at all possible to make a ComputerModule plugin (or similar) in MechJeb? Right now, I don't see a way you can.

Looking at the source, it seems like you hardcoded nothing except the actual addition of the modules to the "modules" list. This would make enabling plugins quite easy (plugin of a plugin, ha)... the only problem is if Squad decided to load each dll inside the plugins folder into a separate appdomain (1 appdomain per dll), but I don't think this is the case. I hope. (Basically, instead of hardcoding the creation, go into AppDomain.CurrentDomain, get all loaded assemblies and their types, get the ones that extend from ComputerModule, and create them.)

If you did this, the community would (hopefully) spam new modules, of which a few might be pretty good, which you could add to vanilla mechjeb. Basically, really good modules without any work. The framework you already have set up is wonderful, it would be much easier to make a plugin of mechjeb then a plugin of ksp. For example, my idea for a plugin that got me started on this plugin-for-a-plugin idea- A "closest approach" module for a body on your flight path. I could simply use the current mechjeb target, stuff like that, re-using mechjeb's data instead of reinventing the wheel myself.

It would be very awesome if you did this, I would be forever grateful. Sorry for the long post, too. I kind of tend to write textwalls. (also, the first time posting this told me it failed, sorry if this doubleposts)

I love MechJeb. I figure if NASA can use computers, then I can use MechJeb. I love this thing!

I am not a good pilot and MechJeb allows me to have fun. I play this game to relax and to explore. I think of ships to build and crazy missions to send the Kerbals to explore new planets and moons.

If MechJeb was not here, then I would not be here. Thank you r4m0n!!

autothrottle appears to be broken in 1.9.3

even if I throttle up before engaging, mechjeb fails to circularize properly and I end up in a kerbin escape trajectory

I haven't tested any of the orbital maneuver stuff to see if the throttle problem exists there.

I am running the new remotetech, isa map, and protractor plugins and I haven't started eliminating conflicts to see if there is an issue.

I've had the same problem. It is a compatibility issue with RemoteTech, not a glitch in MechJeb.

I have to agree with you. The notion that users must understand and master basic calculus and trigonometry in order to play the game properly and visit other planets is a ridiculous one.

It's a flipping alpha, stop your bitching.

To be honest, I see this as a bonus, not a "problem." Imagine that, not too long ago, NASA was doing these very same calculations, except with a slide rule. Just imagine that. Stop complaining. It's just math.

they did this kind of math in the carcass of an exploded vessel on apollo 13, and told Houston that their orbital correction burn didn't cut it before Houston had finished the math. you can do it with a calculator if they can do it with a pencil and scrap paper.

To be honest, I see this as a bonus, not a "problem." Imagine that, not too long ago, NASA was doing these very same calculations, except with a slide rule. Just imagine that. Stop complaining. It's just math.

No offense dude, but im not NASA. Lol, im not good at math either. NASA is the best of the best. They still use computers for calcs as well :D The difference is they can double check the math. And a slide rule is a tool, just because its an older one doesnt mean its worse then a calc. My father constantly goes on about how he is faster with a slide then he is with a calc....So saying that they were using them doesnt mean its huge challenge, its just a skill they used alot back then.

Don't know if this has been posted as a problem yet, but I moved my Orbital Operations tab and Landing tab one day, I exited, saved, came back the next day, and every time I open those 2 tabs they aren't there, everything else works though. Help please?