[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

How calculate proper launch phase to Duna, i used mechjeb planet phase calculator but when i escaped Kerbin sphere of inductance ans activated orbital transfer.

My escape velocity was 3168 m/s like in your website calculator, but doesn't reach Duna despite following all instructions.

How use mechjeb to proper transfer to DUNA?

For some reason transferring to a planet with a lower orbit doesn't really work. Put yourself in a solar orbit, then lower that orbit so it is a circular orbit that is closer to the sun then duna, then hit the transfer to duna button.

• 5 months later...
wow its weird seeing all the old posts, also 2.0.6, what is the change from 2.0.5

Did you read the very first post? The version history is linked immediately after the line that says "2.0.6":

Current version: 1.9.8 / pre-release 2.0.6

Version History.

This is all so... funky.

Anyhow, getting back to business.... I'm still having autopilot issues in 2.0.6. As noted in a previous, now-lost-to-the-aether post, the docking autopilot will get to the "holding z / aligning x/y" phase of docking, and just sort of completely lose interest and stop generating commands. As the craft inevitably drifts away, it eventually hits the edge of some sort of envelope, and "wakes up", and starts manuevering back towards docking, whereupon the whole process begins again. I tried toggling RCS on and off, and toggling the docking autopilot on and off, but nothing works.

This is all so... funky.

Anyhow, getting back to business.... I'm still having autopilot issues in 2.0.6. As noted in a previous, now-lost-to-the-aether post, the docking autopilot will get to the "holding z / aligning x/y" phase of docking, and just sort of completely lose interest and stop generating commands. As the craft inevitably drifts away, it eventually hits the edge of some sort of envelope, and "wakes up", and starts manuevering back towards docking, whereupon the whole process begins again. I tried toggling RCS on and off, and toggling the docking autopilot on and off, but nothing works.

In addition to this, mechjeb 2's smart A.S.S uses SAS with RCS much more compared to mechjeb 1

I've had the same issue as daver4470, which wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't trying to force myself to do *everything* via mechjeb on my unmanned craft. Resupply of my LKO station has become problematic due to this issue, increasing costs by necessitating more frequent crewed missions. Hell on the budget, as it were.

This is all so... funky.

I to was having problems with docking large craft until I discovered that I had been missing setting which docking port to connect to, it would be handy if mechjeb had a mechinizim to select the destination docking port or at least would refuse to operate the docking computer with an error if you hadn't selected one.

I did have an autopilot issue like the one you described though which in the end used of 3x750 tanks of monopropellent before the craft drifted into my solar array wrecking the absolutely massive station I had built.

I have also noticed that mechjeb just chews through the monopropellent in normal use SAS on or off.

r4m0n:

I had a Hohhman tranfer the on the 18/04th which would have involved my Kerbalnauts having to canibilze each other to survive - is there any way you could get Mechjeb to determine that anything longer than 24 hours is a bit rediculous and make alternate plans.

Trying to select a target hub can be very difficult, could you possibly make it that a list of hubs on the target vehicle is shown when you target the vehicle for rendezvouz.

I have noticed also that mechjeb when using RCS uses a lot of monopropellent, just a thought and I don't know if it will help or not but if you only calculated the vector samples every 3 cycles of mechjeb and then averaged the difference for bursting the RCS it might cut down on the amount of RCS required. - Just a thought, the innards of Mechjeb although I know what its doing are far beyound my comprehension.

Cheers. BTW love Mechjeb its helped me learn a lot.

Looking forward to the latest version.

It would be nice if we could have MechJeb use the reaction wheels for pointing and only use RCS for translation. This assumes you have sufficient SAS torque, but it would be a nice option to have. It would certainly cut down on monopropellant usage.

Minor point to make on MechJeb in terms of the units of measurements. When traveling vertically or horizontally, the units are in meters, which is correct, but when traveling slower than 1m/s the units of measurements go down to mm, which stands for milimeters. Wouldn't it be centimeters instead of millimeters?

MechJeb 2 doesn't seem to have much of a concept of slowing down its rate of turning when it's approaching the desired attitude. It keeps maximum torque until it reaches the exact point, the passes it and applies maximum torque the other direction. This results in weird oscillations and some wasted RCS fuel. I can't remember if I had that problem in MechJeb 1, I don't think it did.

Otherwise it's pretty neat, much more capable than original recipe MechJeb. Keep on keepin' on. We appreciate what you do, pay the haters no heed.