[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

I sincerely hope this isn't the case. Manually entering coordinates worked brilliantly in 1.9.8 and I would have to see that functionality lost.

I've run into this problem. It seems you need to select any random place using 'pick target on map,' then put in the coordinates.

This is not a "wonderful thing/feature". This is what HoochCow is talking about (I think ?...). This is a glitch.

o8Rmdym.jpg

Look MechJeb 2's new semi-transparent windows are a bit controversial. I understand that but this is the glitch I think HoochCow is describing.

This is the glitch I've been chasing for a few days now.

wow! :P

Now i see. You are talking about a 100% transparency.

Urgh!

lol

This is a clitch i don't have!

Hello Forums,

Lately i encountered some problems with the landing autopilot. On the last pages i saw that other people had some problems of their own but so far I've seen nothing that helps me solving my genuine problem. When trying to land my new ion-hybrid-engine equipped tanker on the mun it warps to the right point for to start firing up the engines but instead of doing so it keeps wobbling around the retrograde vector and that's it. As i don't have any problems with 'ordinary' landing operations using liquid fuel engines my question would be whether this a known issue resulting from using ion engines ?

If any of you have any ideas what might be the reason for this, please let me know, thanks!

(If the solution to my problem is somewhere within the last 10 pages I probably missed it, in that case I'd be sorry)

Is there a way to convert a mechjeb unit from 1.9.8 to a 2.0.x? Like Devo's R2 unit. I would like to be able to use that with the 2.0 jeb over the 1.9 coding.

In fact there is a way to do this, you will have edit the persistent.sfs file though.

What you do is you create a new vessel with a new mechjeb2 part and put it on the landing pad. Than you open the persistent.sfs file from your save's folder in a simple text editor and look for your new vessel's name, somewhere in the vessel's parts tree will be the new mechejeb2 part. When you've found it you open up the file once more in a new editor window and look for the part you want to replace. Now remove all of the old part's values that do not appear in the new part and copy the new ones to the old part, also change the edited part's name to "mumech.MJ2.AR202". Don't forget to back-up all files in question before you start editing. I hope this works for you, it did for me.

I have a big problem here with MechJeb 2.0.7, until today it worked almost well for me, but today several information windows of MechJeb 2.0.7 have disappeared : vessel info, orbit info, surface info and delta-v stats, and they are no more in the mechjeb menu. I have uninstalled Mechjeb 2.0.7, restarted my PC, reinstalled Mechjeb 2.0.7, and overwrote it with your latest dev build available here and it didn't solve my problem. As I still have Mechjeb 1.9.8 I can still use it. Do you think there was a conflict between Mechjeb 1.9.8 ? Another think you should know is that the problem occured after I installed the Kosmos SSPP mod, not immediately after though ; when I first started the game after installing this mod to have a detailed look at its parts, all was ok. Then I quit the game and started it again later and the problem was there. I then uninstalled the Kosmos mod but the problem remained, so maybe it wasn't linked to it...

Currently all I can see when loading a craft with the mechjeb 2 control part on it in the SPH or VAB is the option "custom window editor" in the mechjeb menu.

Volcansof, to get the missing windows back, you can go to the custom window editor and look through the presets. The windows that went missing are just the default custom windows that MJ comes with.

They got lost because MJ 2.0.7 has a bug where it loses its saved settings if you start a vessel with a command pod that uses MJ. Glancing at the Spaceport page, it looks like Kosmos SSPP has such a pod.

The MJ dev build you now have fixes this problem, so once you restore your windows they should stay put (hopefully). If they don't, we'd like to hear about it!

The transparent window glitch is caused by something going screwy with the mechjeb_settings_type*.txt files in the plugindata folder. I've had it happen a few times installing and removing some mods, but I can reset it by deleting all of the settings files except mechjeb_settings_global.txt.

MechJeb 1.9.8 seems to be having some trouble establishing orbits for me (i.e. I'll ask it to do a 70km Orbit over Kerbin, it'll give me a 90km x 51km orbit instead.) I can use the Orbital Operations tab to correct this, but thought it would be best to flag this up anyway.

Also, is there any plans for an 'add/remove inclination' feature? all my orbits usually end up with an inclination of a few degrees, which makes them look a bit crooked.

Edited by Aeshi

Aeshi, for now use 100+ km orbits, anything less makes mechjeb glitch out. Same with landing, described by Scott Manly, and probably rendezvous as well, if its not 100 x 100 or higher, mechjeb doesn't compute.

Something that I am seeing in 2.07 that I have not seen before and I searched the thread to see if anyone else has mentioned this about the ascent guidance…

I use a normal looking ascent profile for my vehicles and usually set a max turn altitude at about 80-90km. On low Kerbin orbit flights (200-300km range) and depending on the performance of my vehicle I build, there are some upper stages that I sometimes end up chasing down the initial AP. In previous versions this initial established AP (not the set AP I want), I could sometimes either get near it or fly past it on my way to my set Altitude. Of course this usually becomes the PE on the first orbit until it is circularized. Now if my vehicle gets close to this initial AP Mechjeb will shut down the engine and/or make the throttle behave erratic (on /off) till it gets past AP and then carry on as if nothing happened.

Also after establishing my set AP, my vehicle would sit in the prograde coast position until it reached it and then begin the circularization burn and shut off mechjeb when finished. Now it wants to immediately swap ends and point to it after upper stage engine shutdown to coast to it.

I did still have problems with my vehicles not wanting to steer my planned ascent profile. But after I tweaked the gimbaled range from what I had changed it to this problem has gone away. I had the mind set that the less the engines would move the more stable the vehicle would be and less chance that it would go out of control. But I increased the settings back and wouldn’t you know.

In previous versions this initial established AP (not the set AP I want), I could sometimes either get near it or fly past it on my way to my set Altitude. Of course this usually becomes the PE on the first orbit until it is circularized. Now if my vehicle gets close to this initial AP Mechjeb will shut down the engine and/or make the throttle behave erratic (on /off) till it gets past AP and then carry on as if nothing happened.

Yeah, for 2.0.7 I made a change to the throttle control algorithm for this section of the flight that I thought was very clever but ended up causing problems like this in some circumstances. We'll figure out a fix for 2.0.8.

Also after establishing my set AP, my vehicle would sit in the prograde coast position until it reached it and then begin the circularization burn and shut off mechjeb when finished. Now it wants to immediately swap ends and point to it after upper stage engine shutdown to coast to it.

If I understand what you are referring to, this is a feature, not a bug: you'll have to turn to do the circularization burn, so MJ 2 turns before coasting so that when it comes out of warp, it's already lined up for the burn. MJ 1 turned after warping, but since some ships require a long time to turn. that meant it had to end warp quite some time before the actual burn to make sure it was facing the right way by the time it started burning. With the new method the ship will always be lined up for the burn well in advance, so MJ can warp right up until a few seconds before the burn.

MechJeb 1.9.8 seems to be having some trouble establishing orbits for me (i.e. I'll ask it to do a 70km Orbit over Kerbin, it'll give me a 90km x 51km orbit instead.) I can use the Orbital Operations tab to correct this, but thought it would be best to flag this up anyway.

This has to do with the launch characteristics of your craft. and the ascent trajectory. If you're getting orbits like this, it probably means that mechjeb is getting too high of an apoapsis before it achieves the needed orbital velocity. You can tweak the ascent trajectory if needed, since the ascent trajectory doesn't automatically update according to your craft or your desired orbit. Starting/ending your gravity turn sooner might help, as will changing the turn shape (a lower number for turn shape results in a more aggressive gravity turn).

Also, is there any plans for an 'add/remove inclination' feature? all my orbits usually end up with an inclination of a few degrees, which makes them look a bit crooked.

There's already an option for that present in the maneuver planner, "change inclination." It's listed after the Apo/Periaspsis change options.

EDIT: Oops, that second answer is for MJ 2.X, not 1.X. Then again, I'm pretty sure all development is happening in the 2.X branch.

Edited by Eric S

If I understand what you are referring to, this is a feature, not a bug: you'll have to turn to do the circularization burn, so MJ 2 turns before coasting so that when it comes out of warp, it's already lined up for the burn. MJ 1 turned after warping, but since some ships require a long time to turn. that meant it had to end warp quite some time before the actual burn to make sure it was facing the right way by the time it started burning. With the new method the ship will always be lined up for the burn well in advance, so MJ can warp right up until a few seconds before the burn.

You are correct, not so much a bug but more of a nitpick. I don’t use the auto warp feature for ascents. I have been using it that way with the older versions and just prefer to have the vehicle turn slowly keeping itself always aligned until AP is reached. Is there a way that you can add a toggle to have it on or off? Like the autowarp feature? And by the way thank you for putting that back. Keep up the great work!

the landing on dev 29 I believe is bang on now. only thing is ive found so far is the align planes on the rendezvous guidance is going 90 degrees from the the targets plane. but the maneuver planner does it correctly. I don't know if its because it was beginning from a polar orbit and that wigs it out or what. was never able to align planes from kerbin 88 degree 250km orbit to minmus using the rendezvous guidance panel align planes. and it doesn't work with the draktec vtol engines don't know what going on there but tried landing with them and it just augered in. instead of firing the braking burn. the throttle setting was off on them as well.

The transparent window glitch is caused by something going screwy with the mechjeb_settings_type*.txt files in the plugindata folder. I've had it happen a few times installing and removing some mods, but I can reset it by deleting all of the settings files except mechjeb_settings_global.txt.

Yep that's the only way i've been able to fix this bug as well. But . . .

On the total transparency glitch: It happens to me too, but I've noticed it most if I try to alt+tab out of KSP during the loading process.

I tried this a few times and, yes alt-tabbing out of KSP during the loading process seems to cause this. :D If your encountering this problem and your guilty of alt-tabbing during loading then try NOT doing that. Guess I'll just have to find another source of distraction while my game loads the quarter million or so parts I have. :P Thanks all.

OK, on the recent DLL builds, it says that there should be a window to allow a GUI change to MJ1 style. I assume this means no transparency. I really would like that. However, I can't seem to find this window anywhere at all. Any ideas?

Just checking overall, but has this been made so that the rover autopilot will work with non standard wheels? Because I have the Modular Multi-wheels pack that uses the rover controls, but last time I tried, it did not work with those, only the default rover wheels, even though the ones from the pack were powered and steering compatable.