[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

Mechjeb 2.0 is still in beta.

Removing all the ship parts still seems like an unnecessary thing to make people do. I don't see why they couldn't have just left the existing parts in.

Then again, there's a lot of things I don't understand.

I've gone through the "MechJeb 1.X removal process" and I'm happy to say that I'm back up and running, as proven by my JebSat II platform here, currently in equatorial orbit around Kerbin. Thanks again!~

E4cvn5C.jpg

It's not ideal to have to use the AR202 case, since this was originally built with one of the in-line MechJeb units... but at least it works.

I'm finding a damned odd interaction here. MJ 2.0.7 is trying to control 2 ships in prox to each other when I am moving in to dock.

It's interesting that you mention this, going back to my earlier problem with landing, I was trying to land near a second lander/rover. As I was landing, the second craft (which also had mechjeb) suddenly flung itself violently away, as if it was firing thrusters or something. I thought it must be some strange bug like the game suddenly deciding the landing gear on that craft had collided with something. Now I'm wondering.

I was able to recreate the problem with this lander, trying to land near the singing hill on Duna. I got it into initial orbits with inclinations with a few degrees of the correct one, at 50km and 125 km, ejected other stages and tried to have mechjeb 2 land it. In both cases the initial burn ended with it spinning out of control.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/36jg235hvtk9crz/Two-Stage%20Lander%20Mod.craft

You could edit the part cfgs to include the new mechjeb functionality instead of the old mechjeb.

Seriously. Super easy to do. You don't need to remove anything from your ship.

Phase 1:

Open up the cfg of the part you want to edit using Notepad or some other text editor. Scroll to the bottom, where you see things similar to:

MODULE

{

name = MechJebCore

}

Now paste that at the end. Grats, you just gave that part MechJeb 2.0 functionality.

Phase 2: If you also want to remove earlier versions, go to the top of the cfg and look for the line that says

module = MuMechJeb

or

module = MuMechJebPod

and change it to

module = CommandPod

The AR202 has a different line, iirc, but that's an easy fix. Just delete the old AR202 folder and install the new one.

You should only do phase 2 to things that had MuMechJeb etc in that line, like command pods and the radial MechJeb parts. I don't know what all that line does, but I'm fairly certain it could do some wonky things if you just went around throwing it into engines and things like that. Depending on how many parts you want to add it to, this can take as little as 30 seconds, doesn't require changing any of your designs, and lets you add MechJeb to any part on any ship you've already launched.

Edited by loppnessmonsta

How do you use the "Return from moon" option? I assumed setting the PE to 150 would put me on a return course from the Mun into a roughly 150km orbit of Kerbin. Apparently not.

I think there still is a bug where MechJeb takes in count your current distance from the host planet, so the calculated burn changes every second, as you move relative to the moon's orbit.

I think there still is a bug where MechJeb takes in count your current distance from the host planet, so the calculated burn changes every second, as you move relative to the moon's orbit.

With Return To The Moon, You Need to add in another 50k to the actual distance you want. So say you want 70K you set it to 120k. I'm not sure why but that's how its working.

Since my posts seems to need to be approved, and i can't edit it i will just follow it up with this..

I've copied everything from the latest version extract to the install folder of KSP. Straight and simple. Seems like i have the parts yeah, but the GUI is not there.

Got any idea why?

There is only one part in MechJeb 2.0.x. It's a modified AR202. Delete all the other MechJeb parts and only use that one. The GUI will appear once it's on the ship.

Assuming you are using the latest paid version of KSP. Plugins don't work in the free demo.

There is only one part in MechJeb 2.0.x. It's a modified AR202. Delete all the other MechJeb parts and only use that one. The GUI will appear once it's on the ship.

Assuming you are using the latest paid version of KSP. Plugins don't work in the free demo.

I am using the paid version, and followed the guide someone made a few pages back about updating an installation.

Ok im having a problem and i know its me. I tried installing this like all the other mods. Putting files in the correct folders and so on. But is this right? in version 1.9.8 there are 10 sub folders under parts. 1 under plugin, and 1 under ships. But in 2.0.7 there is only 1 under parts and 1 under plugin. Do i have to install an earlier version first. The mechjeb radio does not appear anywhere in the game. Thank you in advance

The old parts are for the old plugin. Only 1 new part is enabled for the new plugin, unless you edit the .cfg files. The new part is the same model as the old AR202, so you should see both an old and a new AR202 in the game.

The old parts are for the old plugin. Only 1 new part is enabled for the new plugin, unless you edit the .cfg files. The new part is the same model as the old AR202, so you should see both an old and a new AR202 in the game.
The new AR202 case is not quite the same as the old one, it is smaller ;)

Thanks guys, ill try it again and see.

Ok i tried again on my laptop and it showed up and is working. Ill try again on my main pc later. Im just trying to learn. As you can tell im a noob at KSP. I know this has probably been asked, how can you manually control your throttle while in auto pilot? my ships are built with asparagus staging(for fuel efficency ). They dont need to be wide open all the time. i found where you can type in the percentage in throttle control. However that kills the engines completely, until you get the new numbers punched in. Im not sure if this made sense or not. forgive my noobness

Edited by viperwolf

Hiya!

Did I read this entire thread to see if this question has been addressed? No I did not. Sorry, but 142 pages!!!

Did I search this thread? I tried, with no luck. Plenty of results for Ascent Autopilot, but none address this problem I'm having. And there's ZERO results for "Show navball ascent path guidance" .. the wiki also is of no help here.

SO!!

When I set MechJeb to "Show navball ascent path guidance", it only ever directs me to keep flying straight up, forever and ever. No matter where I set the gravity turn to begin, the guidance reticle never changes. No matter what settings I put anywhere, the guidance reticle never changes.

Am I doing something utterly wrong here, or is this a known problem?

.. EDIT ..

Also, what is this button about "Target etc etc .." that shows up when I have something targeted? How do I use that? Again, the wiki really says nothing about this.

Edited by artao

Well, since I posted this .. and went on IRC and asked about this issue .. .. .. .. ..

The whole thing has started working as expected.

So ignore this I guess. .. All I had to do was ask about it and *whoomp* the problem seems to have evaporated. I've done nothing different AFAIK, it just started working.

However, I'm still quite curious about these options that come up when something is targeted.

Ok not sure if anyone has reported this but the tab on the right isnt coming up on launch which is annoying because that is how you use mechjeb i have tried the new version it didn't work and the old and it doesn't work and now together and it still doesn't work this is on the latest version

edit

i really love this mod and i need it to do docking and stuff and explore planets so can you fix this i have done everything installed it properly and stuff with no success

Edited by romanguy

Stupid little annoyance I noted while trying to use MJ2 on a rover: The Navball Orientation of the AR202 Case seems to be rotated 90 degrees to the right. You have to either place it on the left side of the rover or leave it half buried in the top rather than flush with the surface to get the navball properly oriented.

Uh so is there anyway to change your inclination or heading in the ascent guidance? Im having trouble with my Apollo style mission where my CM is orbiting clockwise, and my LM launches an orbit counter to that, and welp cant dock that way.

You can set an inclination in the ascent guidance window. 0' will put you on an East setting, 90' will launch you North, and I think -90 would put you on a southern polar orbit. Maybe 180 will put you in a western launch? I've never tried it.

Or you could just launch ALL vessels to the East like you're supposed to. :)