[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

Is there a way to have to switch between "orbit" and "surface" when using smart ass to point prograde or retrograde? I find that sometimes when I use it on landing that it points retrograde according to the orbit marker vs surface marker.

I figured out part of what's happening with very large rockets. I have a 3.75m stage on top of a 5m stage and however strutted or I-beamed the joint is, as soon as launch starts the struts/beams stretch and the 3.75m stage slides to one side. The boosting 5m stage then rubber bands after it and things go bang quickly from there. I've tried the extra heavy struts in the NP that has the 5m rockets and multiple I beams.

I suppose poor old MJ hasn't got a chance in that situation ;)

I'm not sure anyone has mentioned this directly: this MechJeb is sensitive to its orientation. On my rockets it seems like it has to be on the left (west) side on a vertical surface to have the same control orientation as the command pod. On a space plane a had to rotate it. This is almost a feature: you can always click on your command pod and select "control from here" to get the correct command orientation. (I don't know why MechJeb gets picked by default.). Then you can mount the MechJeb for a prefered second orientation. For instance I put one rotated 90deg on a rover -- for landing I use the rover's command pod, once landed I click "control from here" on MechJeb and shift the control ball 90deg.

Hey all,

Just installed MechJeb 2.0.9 in KSP 0.21.1 and Mechjeb is working, but is VERY wobbly / bad at holding an exact heading on my ships - instead, it "circles" the blue navball point with the reticle rather than staying dead-on it like MechJeb used to do....my current ship is a medium-sized rocket I would say. I noticed the SAS light doesn't even come on to indicate MJ is even trying to hold my ship on a dead-straight course...

Any ideas why this is happening? Is it just me? I'd love to have my exact headings back....

Edited by darkstrike

could we get a "zero horizontal velocity" button, that just executes that landing step, also possibly a "zero horizontal velocity and land" button, anything i try to land from low altitude currently comes down with a severe sideways slide that mechjeb tries to fix about 5 meters off the ground, invariably ending with the craft tipping over and exploding.

Having the same problems that sojourner is reporting. I got bored earlier just to see and over an hour into my automated docking attempt it had only gone probably 20 meters and was struggling to keep itself lined up bouncing back and forth while yesterday I wasn't having any issues...docking was slower than prior to .21 but it was still happening. Today it seems to be lost.

Hey all,

Just installed MechJeb 2.0.9 in KSP 0.21.1 and Mechjeb is working, but is VERY wobbly / bad at holding an exact heading on my ships - instead, it "circles" the blue navball point with the reticle rather than staying dead-on it like MechJeb used to do....my current ship is a medium-sized rocket I would say. I noticed the SAS light doesn't even come on to indicate MJ is even trying to hold my ship on a dead-straight course...

Any ideas why this is happening? Is it just me? I'd love to have my exact headings back....

I have watched this very closely and on launch in .21 MechJeb is being a total dumbass and deciding that the rocket must roll 90 to 180 degrees before its oriented correctly. This is resulting in thrust going in the wrong directions, some mighty comedic flight patterns in the air followed by either a full 100% power lawn dart, busted apart rocket, or failure to reach orbit. If your lucky and design the rocket to make the rotation then it seems to be ok for the rest of the ascent though I have seen it not launching to the correct inclination almost every launch but this could be due to the screwy behavior off the pad.

Blueshark, you might need more RCS or wheel control authority for your craft.

On my rockets, they are all balanced and the results are the same in my case no matter how I configure the rocket even turning the reaction wheels off. It seems for me the issue with the launch is a definite problem with MechJeb and telling which way the rocket is pointed and which side is up. Maybe they changed the way this works in game.

Is there a way I can move the MechJeb slideout a bit farther down the left side of the screen (so it doesn't overlap with the resources pane)? Can this be done via some settings or can I edit a file to do it?

I noticed a strong tendency of mechjeb to overshoot, even with small crafts. Small crafts mean correction and wobble aren't a problem, but i sometime have a few minutes of overcorrection before aligning to time-warp on 5-meter rockets.

It was present before, but is now unbeareable, i came to the point of aligning the craft manually for manoeuver, wich kill the point of the mod a bit.

It also have a tendancy to become crazy on the end of most burns, spinning crazily, chasing a fleeing blue dot for 0.1 m/s.

I think it come from the game update, especially point 2. and is not a bug, but need to be fixed.

Hey all,

My ships do the 'circle round the blue node' thing too.

But it only seems to do it when nearing the end of a maneuver (thus wasting fuel & RCS) till I delete the node.

I was trying to set up my Kethane station around Minmus (I had the ground unit going) and it was making a real hash of trying to dock yeah. Then I tried the autolander to go down next to the ground unit and before I knew what was going on I was out of orbit, heading out into the solar system. Because I was low fuel (this craft was to go down, fill up and return remember) I was shafted, I'll have to send another one out. I tried messing around with the maneuver nodes out there and sure, the gravity well is very shallow but MJ seems to be flipping out and zooming off places instead of executing the nodes.

There does seem to be something unusual going on with "control from here" functionality and mechjeb. I have gotten to the point of always selecting a something on the vehicle and making sure to "control from here" on it before using any mechjeb functions.

could we get a "zero horizontal velocity" button, that just executes that landing step, also possibly a "zero horizontal velocity and land" button, anything i try to land from low altitude currently comes down with a severe sideways slide that mechjeb tries to fix about 5 meters off the ground, invariably ending with the craft tipping over and exploding.
Blueshark, you might need more RCS or wheel control authority for your craft.

this does not happen if i am coming in from mid to high orbit, it only happens if the "zero horizontal velocity" step is skipped, which seems to happen every time i am not coming in from orbit.

a "zero horizontal velocity and land" button,

This would probably be exclusively for low altitude landigs from short-distance relocations and suborbital hops where it is better to do your own braking burn.

could we get a "zero horizontal velocity" button, that just executes that landing step,

This is a separate thing, i just think this bit would be useful for vtol craft which in my experience are very hard to stop all the way once you are moving.

If it's installed correctly, it should be a little boxy-looking thing under the 'control' tab.

So is there only one part now? I only see the "MechJeb 2 (AR202 case)" in the control section. I dont see the good old "eye" part from the last version.

I don't know about you guys. . . but when I installed 2.0.9MJ on my .20.2 KSP It didn't want to go to the space center by pressing Esc and clicking on "Space Center." I used the older version and worked okay again. But when I tried to migrate my files to .21, it again refused to go to the space center. I dunno what's up with it. ;.;

There does seem to be something unusual going on with "control from here" functionality and mechjeb. I have gotten to the point of always selecting a something on the vehicle and making sure to "control from here" on it before using any mechjeb functions.

Have you no tried this .cfg file ?:

For those with problem with the ascent guidance could you try to replace the part.cfg of MJ2 with this one and tell if it's better: https://raw.github.com/sarbian/MechJeb2/0_21/Parts/MechJeb2_AR202/part.cfg

Same thing for Kocour.

;)

A number of people in the past few pages appear to me to be blaming poor attitude stability on mechjeb. My findings are that the old way of building rockets with SAS modules is no longer valid. I don't know how you build rockets, and unless you post a craft file or at least a pic, I can't even begin to imagine what your problem is. All I can say is that the 0.21 SAS is distinctly different from previous versions, and if you haven't changed your builds, then I don't think you should assume mechjeb is your problem. I no longer need any RCS for controlled flight; I only use it now for docking maneuvers. SAS reaction wheels, when used in the appropriate amount for your craft, will, I think, solve all of your attitude problems. However, it is possible to have too much of a good thing. Experiment, redesign, and experiment again. If you suspect mechjeb is the problem, turn it off and see how your craft reacts without it.

I would like to get your attention to the plugin incompatibility.

MechJeb2 has one nasty bug, if used with Kethane Mod 0.7.4

After using quickload, Kethane grid map stutters and game becomes pretty much unplayable, beacuse camera in the map view stutters as hell.

It is already confirmed, that MJ2 causes that.

As for me, i totally love MJ2 and used it for a long time. It pains me to remove such a nice plugin.

Is there anything you could possibly do to fix that?

Here's the link to the kethane mod thread: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/23979-Kethane-Pack-0-4-3-Download-link-now-up-to-date-after-forum-catastrophe

I would like to get your attention to the plugin incompatibility.

MechJeb2 has one nasty bug, if used with Kethane Mod 0.7.4

After using quickload, Kethane grid map stutters and game becomes pretty much unplayable, beacuse camera in the map view stutters as hell.

It is already confirmed, that MJ2 causes that.

As for me, i totally love MJ2 and used it for a long time. It pains me to remove such a nice plugin.

Is there anything you could possibly do to fix that?

Here's the link to the kethane mod thread: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/23979-Kethane-Pack-0-4-3-Download-link-now-up-to-date-after-forum-catastrophe

I would like to point out that Majiir answered my previous post on this matter by saying it might not all be from MechJeb

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/42601-Star-map-stuttering-on-rotation

In addition, he gave us an error that appears from the log, that doesn't seem to incriminate MechJeb, but could be amplified by it.