[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

Welcome to the herd. :)

Smart A.S.S. is easily the most used part of MJ for me.

I am very much enjoying the "node" button and the "retro" button makes Mun landings incredibly easy.

I was actually thinking of just making it look like the old inline ASAS module, since that's the duty it performs now. :) Either that or use the Engineer "computer" part because it looks very Kerbal and doesn't light up my ship all green.

Anyone else have a problem with MJ not limiting thrust to terminal velocity? It limits jet throttle just fine to prevent flameouts, but when launching rockets it refuses to throttle down.

Nope, works fine for me and big rockets. Some of my NP2 lifters hit over 60ms2 when the SRBs are almost empty, I limit to 50ms2 and it does it by throttling back the liquid engines. If you only have SRBs of course, it's not going to work.

Been using Mechjeb since I got the full version of KSP and just wanted to say thanks!! Also any news on the docking autopilot?? Currently even when I tell it that the limit is 10m/s it just dawdles along at 0.10m/s. Takes forever and a day to dock, Though it now seems to use a HELL of a lot less monoprop doing it but still when it needs to do something like back up to get aligned with a docking port it'd be nice to be able to tell it that it can go faster....

(also letting it go faster might help with tending to just sit there spinning by letting it have more power to work with......)

Been using Mechjeb since I got the full version of KSP and just wanted to say thanks!! Also any news on the docking autopilot?? Currently even when I tell it that the limit is 10m/s it just dawdles along at 0.10m/s. Takes forever and a day to dock, Though it now seems to use a HELL of a lot less monoprop doing it but still when it needs to do something like back up to get aligned with a docking port it'd be nice to be able to tell it that it can go faster....

(also letting it go faster might help with tending to just sit there spinning by letting it have more power to work with......)

Lemme see if i can help.

Docking autopilot has ALWAYS been rather touchy since it was introduced. Unless your ship is PERFECTLY balanced, in both mass and rcs thrust, your gonna have issues with letting MJ dock on its own.

Like in many, many situations its often times better to not let MJ dock on its own, but rather use it to assist you in docking.

I rely on the docking autopilot for orbital construction operations because I can run multiple tugs at once. So long as the RCS balancer is turned on (and overdrive is low), MJ is actually pretty frugal with the RCS, even with grossly unbalanced loads, albeit rather slow. The main things are to make certain the target ship is not rotating (kill rot does wonders), and you've got "control from here" set on the correct port on the docking ship.

Using the trick of making the target ship point its docking port at the docking ship's port also makes a big difference, but that doesn't work for multiple tugs :).

Got a really weird thing happening.

My rocket keeps tipping over at a strange angle at launch if I don't put pilots into the capsule that is controlled by MechJeb. I've never seen this happen in 20.2. It's making launching test vehicles rather frustrating. If I put a pilot into the rocket it launches perfectly. No pilot and the thing goes weird on me.

Edited by NeoMorph

I've had a couple of ships break up on me since upgrading to in 0.21.1 (BobCat's Ares V and Laz's new Falcon 9 heavy). It seems to be to do with the strength of the radial decouplers in 0.21.x and is something that never happened in 0.20.x. The reason I posted it here is it seems to happen a great deal more if I use 'Limit to Terminal Velocity' and I *suspect* (don't know for certain, needs more testing) that the decoupler flex is causing the craft to oscillate and the throttle to 'bounce' which is making it worse and breaking the ship. Is that potentially possible? Might using 'Smooth Throttle' help? I'm using Dev build 72, FWIW.

My rocket keeps tipping over at a strange angle at launch if I don't put pilots into the capsule that is controlled by MechJeb. I've never seen this happen in 20.2. It's making launching test vehicles rather frustrating. If I put a pilot into the rocket it launches perfectly. No pilot and the thing goes weird on me.

I've seen that too. Had not linked it to not having kerbals on board though. At least you can fix it with "Control from here" on any of the command pods, that resets the alignment properly and makes your ship behave after launch.

Got a really weird thing happening.

Yep, I get this too. Not only that but the navball is messed up. Here is a stock Kerbal 2 with the pod replaced with the probe and mechjeb added, sitting on the pad. Stock .21 with only Mechjeb installed, notice the navball:

NuP5mgk.jpg

here is a link to a few more pics http://imgur.com/a/oBbb3#0

there are in-flight and a regular K2 with MJ shots

Yep, I get this too. Not only that but the navball is messed up. Here is a stock Kerbal 2 with the pod replaced with the probe and mechjeb added, sitting on the pad. Stock .21 with only Mechjeb installed, notice the navball:

I remember reading somewhere that the fault is because you have mechjeb on an angle.. - before you take off, right click on your pod and go control from here, I think from memory that fixes the problem...

For those with docking autopilot problem you can try 2 things

- search for my patch a few page before

- activate fine manoeuver mode (capslock) . C7 explained here that it change how RCS works in .21 and it seems to help. I'll do some test and see if I can auto activate it in docking mode

Hey,

I'm pretty new to MechJeb, all I've done so far is using the ascent autopilot back in .18

Currently I'm trying to build a rover with a functional skycrane with the ability to lower the rover to the ground (using Kerbal Attachment System). I quickly realized it is almost impossible, but at least pretty hard, to control the skycrane manually, so I added the MechJeb command thing to do it for me.

There should be enough fuel to maintain the hovering-height on a low-gravity planet, but I don't know how to set up mechjeb to do what I want.

screenshot87.png screenshot88.png

I want MechJeb to maintain the height (which means Vertical Speed = 0m/s) as well as kill all Horizontal Speed, because that makes lowering of the rover hard.

I already tried to use the translatron KEEP VERT mode, but together with the "Kill H/S" toggle the skycrane stays in its position for ~5-10 seconds and then turns over and makes unpredictable movements- Which results in my rover making loopings around the skycrane on its rope.

So does anyone have an idea how to improve this, or which mode to use best?

Thanks in advance

It's because with no crew, command is defaulting to Mecjeb, and its sitting at that angle on your command pod. slide it down onto your sas or monopropellant, so its perfectly up and down, it will fix the issue.

How do I transfer to another planet when in Kerbol Orbit with the new Mechjeb2? Is it the Rendevouz-Autipilot who now does this??? Please help quickly, doing a mission to Duna right now!

"Maneuver Planner" / "Transfer to another planet".

MJ wiki : http://wiki.mechjeb.com/index.php?title=Manual/Maneuver_Planner#Transfer_to_another_planet

It's because with no crew, command is defaulting to Mecjeb, and its sitting at that angle on your command pod. slide it down onto your sas or monopropellant, so its perfectly up and down, it will fix the issue.

It just right click on the tip of the rocket and select control from here.

As you may see in the first screenshot, I attached a second command pod up there. Before I start my rocket I select "Control from here" on that pod. You can see the mechjeb module on the side of the center fuel tank. Do I have to move it from that position to another?

I am having a problem with Mechjeb 2.0.9, It seems with every rocket, it cannot go up. it always tries to go sideways, and if I just have the rocket, it will go straight up with SAS. I do not know why MecbJeb does not want to go in a straight line, but it is really annoying.

I am having a problem with Mechjeb 2.0.9, It seems with every rocket, it cannot go up. it always tries to go sideways, and if I just have the rocket, it will go straight up with SAS. I do not know why MecbJeb does not want to go in a straight line, but it is really annoying.

I've had that, too. If you have a probe or any non-kerballed pod, make sure you select "Control From Here" before you launch. I added an RC-001S pod and selected "Control From Here" on that which solved the problem. I think the cause was the fact that I had the MJ pod mounted horizontally. I put the probe under a fairing so I couldn't select it on the pad because it was hidden, so I had to add the redundant RC-001S.

Edit: Which now that I read backward, has already been answered. Well, consider it confirmed then. :)